So, would you write that if you had to sign your real name?

djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:52 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
It could also be interpreted as good common sense not to say things anonymously that you would be afraid to say face to face.

i have said many things face to face to folks who did not know my name

why should the internet be any different

that being said i'm pretty open about my thoughts on the rare occasions i post on facebook, under my real name

i have also on more than one occasion emailed politicians (using my real name) and suggested that they could best serve their electorate by dropping dead (actually i should just put together a mass mailing to all politicians about that)
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 03:31 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:

why should the internet be any different

They don't need to know your name to punch your lights out.

Joe(I'm a sucker for a right cross)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 03:55 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:

This kinda obfuscates things...
Sure, anybody can say "many things" face to face with people who don't know their name...
But people tend to be bolder about being mean and/or insulting (those kinds of "things") from the cover of anonymity.

Hence Joe nation's thread - Would you write (say) the same things if you didn't have that cover?

djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 04:36 pm
@snood,
the interesting thing about the internet is, it exposes one to people they would probably not interact with in the first place

the few times i can think of where i was mean or insulting (and not being just a smart ass) it's been to folks i'd probably never run into or interact with in real life

most of my on line vitriol is directed towards politicians, and i wouldn't be caught dead having a face to face conversation with a politician

as for face to face interactions with folks, i prefer a large dose of passivity to my aggression (but hey, i'm it afraid to admit i'm douchebag that way), commenting indirectly on how much fun it is to have to deal with peoples unruly children in a checkout line

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:25 pm
No, I can't write much of I have to reveal my real name. When I tell people my real name is Napolean they tend not to take me seriously.
hingehead

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:41 pm
@JLNobody,
Maybe they would if you spelt it the way they do?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:01 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:

This kinda obfuscates things...
Sure, anybody can say "many things" face to face with people who don't know their name...
But people tend to be bolder about being mean and/or insulting (those kinds of "things") from the cover of anonymity.

Hence Joe nation's thread - Would you write (say) the same things if you didn't have that cover?

So, you are correct; however, there are other reasons not to use one's real name. And, it has nothing to do with cowardice.

By the way, the use of the word "cowardice" might be inappropriate, since in WWI the term "cowardice" was used, while in WWII the term "shell shock" was used, and in Vietnam "PTSD" was used. In WWI there were soldiers (not Americans) that were shot at dawn for "cowardice."
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:13 pm
Quote:
By the way, the use of the word "cowardice" might be inappropriate, since in WWI the term "cowardice" was used, while in WWII the term "shell shock" was used, and in Vietnam "PTSD" was used. In WWI there were soldiers (not Americans) that were shot at dawn for "cowardice."

What a hopeless generalisation that is.
aidan

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:50 pm
@hingehead,
*Edited to say that I clicked on hingehead's response but I am responding to what MsOlga said.

msolga wrote@
Quote:
It is not as though we have all collectively colluded to gang up against any particular posters here. Our responses are to what is posted.

I think YOUR responses are simply to address what you see posted msolga - and that's as it should be ideally, but I've also seen the dynamic of groups of posters swooping in to gang up against particular posters for no apparent reason that I can discern except to make their own personal feelings against that poster known.
And when I say that, I am taking into account what that poster has written. It may be the most inoffensive and benign statement about something as subjective or inconsequential as what someone said to them at work that day or what song they like or whatever.

Quote:
But, on the credit side, at least you participated in this discussion.
Unlike the those anonymous others, who most likely knew perfectly well who Joe was referring to in his opening post (them) & remained silent. At least you have not been as cowardly as they have been.

Well, to be honest with you- I don't know who Joe is referring to - so maybe those posters don't know that he's referring to them.

I really don't read anything on this forum that would cause me vehement dislike or disdain or disapproval of anyone on this thread or any other thread I can think of. In my life and mind, people have different opinions and experiences- in terms of religion, politics, etc.- and that's as it should be.

The only thing that turns me off is the actively expressed dislike and disdain for people and their opinions and experiences and to be honest with you, I see most of that expressed by folks who call themselves 'accepting' and 'liberal'.
I mean, politically, I'd label myself a progressive or liberal - but I would never call a conservative an idiot just because s/he had conservative points of view.
And I think that alot of people who are pointing the finger at other people - nameless though they may be- are the ones that I find are the quickest to fly off the handle and make their ire toward others known through name-calling and personal judgment - and maybe that's because THEY can remain anonymous.

I mean, who ARE the people Joe is talking about? I have no idea.

And Joe - I didn't say David was a grumpy old man - I said he was surprisingly mild-mannered in real life - not at all what I'd expected from his posts. I met with him because I always find it interesting to meet people who are different than me as opposed to meeting all the people who are just like me and who agree with everything I say.

My name is Rebecca Hearn by the way. I would have used Rebecca as my screen name from the beginning, but I was told it was already in use - not that I've ever seen another Rebecca on this forum - but so be it.

And Snood - not to call you out or anything - but I see you work for Chapel Hill/Carrboro Schools now. I worked there too - go over to East Chapel Hill High and ask around. I'm sure there are people who still remember me there - and honestly - I wouldn't be ashamed for them to read anything I've ever written on this forum- not even the great male/female JOKE that people took so ******* seriously for so long.
But I'm sure you don't strut down the hallways there telling people they're this and they're that the way you do around here.
I know I didn't when I worked there.
But then I don't tend to do it here either. I just defend myself and point of view when it's attacked.
Whereas you seem to go on the attack quite alot against anyone who doesn't meet your criteria for whatever they're supposed to meet your criteria for.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/197406-5
Jet Fire

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:51 am
@Joe Nation,
You're just giving stalkers one more piece of information to extract and carry away your privacy.
People are unlike those bonobo chimps, they who care less for privacy and can jack off inthe middle of any setting, private or public. Are you a chimp?

Actually I changed my mind. People are so narcissistic these days that they can't wait to post every little thing about themselves to complete strangers on the internet!

So wait... does this mean my password "bob1234" isn't secure?
Atom Blitzer

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:29 am
@Jet Fire,
I've signed in and made your password more secure so bonobo apes won't jack off on your account.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 12:20 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Okay, but why did you store ^Af.EZCcj]2at<[s@8:W!=[#z%+V;I together with your own credit card informations?
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 01:13 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
msolga wrote:
It is not as though we have all collectively colluded to gang up against any particular posters here. Our responses are to what is posted.

I think YOUR responses are simply to address what you see posted msolga - and that's as it should be ideally, but I've also seen the dynamic of groups of posters swooping in to gang up against particular posters for no apparent reason that I can discern except to make their own personal feelings against that poster known.
And when I say that, I am taking into account what that poster has written. It may be the most inoffensive and benign statement about something as subjective or inconsequential as what someone said to them at work that day or what song they like or whatever.

Quote:

But, on the credit side, at least you participated in this discussion.
Unlike the those anonymous others, who most likely knew perfectly well who Joe was referring to in his opening post (them) & remained silent. At least you have not been as cowardly as they have been.

Well, to be honest with you- I don't know who Joe is referring to - so maybe those posters don't know that he's referring to them.

I really don't read anything on this forum that would cause me vehement dislike or disdain or disapproval of anyone on this thread or any other thread I can think of. In my life and mind, people have different opinions and experiences- in terms of religion, politics, etc.- and that's as it should be.

The only thing that turns me off is the actively expressed dislike and disdain for people and their opinions and experiences and to be honest with you, I see most of that expressed by folks who call themselves 'accepting' and 'liberal'.
I mean, politically, I'd label myself a progressive or liberal - but I would never call a conservative an idiot just because s/he had conservative points of view.
And I think that alot of people who are pointing the finger at other people - nameless though they may be- are the ones that I find are the quickest to fly off the handle and make their ire toward others known through name-calling and personal judgment - and maybe that's because THEY can remain anonymous.

I mean, who ARE the people Joe is talking about? I have no idea.

And Joe - I didn't say David was a grumpy old man - I said he was surprisingly mild-mannered in real life - not at all what I'd expected from his posts. I met with him because I always find it interesting to meet people who are different than me as opposed to meeting all the people who are just like me and who agree with everything I say.

My name is Rebecca Hearn by the way. I would have used Rebecca as my screen name from the beginning, but I was told it was already in use - not that I've ever seen another Rebecca on this forum - but so be it.

WOW! (Forgive me for shouting.) Very Happy Rebecca, this post (which I've quoted in part to provide emphasis) is the best post I've ever read here in the roughly three years I've posted here at A2K regarding the way that some of the members treat others. Cool You're absolutely right. Right on! Smile You're also one of the kindest persons I've ever met online, and you show a lot of maturity. Smile Thanks for making my day! Wink
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:15 pm
@snood,
Nope.

I have a company to run and a lot of other trips I would prefer to spend my money on.

If The Gathering ever comes to Dallas, I bet I'll attend.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:16 pm
@snood,
But do you froth at the mouth?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
. . . I have a company to run and a lot of other trips I would prefer to
spend my money on . . .
How about a trip to Boston?
You'd enjoy the city AND you could meet the locals.
djjd62

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:29 pm
@George,
or you could visit Northridge

you'd enjoy the, uh...hamlet AND you could meet the local

(and you could have a Boston Cooler)
George

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:43 pm
@djjd62,
Northridge?
djjd62

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:45 pm
@George,
it ain't much but i call it home

George

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:50 pm
@djjd62,
You never struck me as a Northridge kinda guy.