So, would you write that if you had to sign your real name?

margo

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 02:48 am
@the prince,
the prince wrote:

I probably wouldn't flirt as much if I used my real name.

I am quite shy ya know? <blush>

Yeah, right!
the prince

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 02:57 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

the prince wrote:

I am quite shy ya know? <blush>

Yeah, right!

See Margo agrees with me. <smooch>
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 03:10 am
This thread just came to mind again - I was reading the thread where someone asked about Chicago, and safety.

There was one member attempting to star. I recall from Abuzz days that s/he had some weird personality defect - and heavens to betsy - s/he's still rabbiting on.

Why on earth would you bother being such a long term, persistent, prat, a drongo, <look it up> even if you did/do go to Harvard Medical School? But I doubt that's his/her real name.
(Points for consistency??)
George

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 05:59 am
It may well be that some of our nastier posters would not spit their venom
here if they had to sign their names. But I don't care. Let them get it
out. How else would we know what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

George

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 06:01 am
@George,
. . . and as many of you know, my real name is Egroeg Notnats.
George

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 06:03 am
@George,
. . . and my sock puppets are Vinny Z (formerly), Coin-Toss (occasionally),
and The Smart Money (recently).
0 Replies

Strauss

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 06:06 am
@George,
I thought it was Gee, gro! Not Tans!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 06:51 am
@the prince,
the prince wrote:

Wait... are you telling us, you're not an actual member of a royal family? What a shame. You had me convinced ... being so princely and all. Smile
George

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 06:54 am
@tsarstepan,
But does he get nekkid in Vegas?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 07:08 am
I am Frank and do try to be frank. Smith if you want to know. My dad was Joe Friday's partner. (really) I have a feeling some folks here are as phony as can be and some are quite sincere, just like real life. The interesting thing here is the breadth of thought. Some provoking and some disturbing, again, real life. Many people have opinions, some seem quite outlandish to me, but what do I know? On the other hand at times I do learn from some posts here.

Would they say the samething in a bar? Depends upon how drunk they are, and how big the other guy is.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 07:08 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
I am going to start asking for names and asking the questions:
1) would you sign your real name to that tripe you just wrote?
and
2) Would you say that to my face if you and I were standing in a bar room?

if you're in the group of people I'd meet/have met face to face, I say it all

there are some things I wouldn't post about here if I had to use my full real name - they're related to my area/s of work and it wouldn't be appropriate professionally - luckily, politics, religion and food don't fall under that beat so I'm good to go - on FB, I don't ever post about things related to work
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 07:14 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Why on earth would you bother being such a long term, persistent, prat, a drongo, <look it up> even if you did/do go to Harvard Medical School? But I doubt that's his/her real name.
(Points for consistency??)

Points for teaching me a new word:
Quote:
drongo 86 up, 35 down

Australian slang: A "no-hoper" or fool. Derives from a racehorse of that name in the 1920's that never one a race out of 37 starts.

Recruits to the RAAF in WWII earned the nickname "drongos".

(Nothing to do with the class of bird -- drongo)
"You've really mucked that up, ya drongo!"

keywords:
aussie slang fool simpleton dolt half-wit no-hoper

by PEB May 15, 2006

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=drongo
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 09:17 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Anyway, let's talk. I want to start calling people out. If they can't reveal who the hell they are, then why in hell should we spend any of our waking hours considering what they have to say. I am going to start asking for names and asking the questions:
1) would you sign your real name to that tripe you just wrote?

Not here. There are plenty of A2Kers whom I have met or with whom I've communicated who know my real name. I have no problem with that. I do, however, have a problem with the small minority of chuckleheads on the internet who have the ability and the time to make my life more difficult if they were so inclined. One in particular, he of the many names who shall, nevertheless, remain nameless, hinted that he lived in Chicago. I have absolutely no desire to reveal my identity to psychopaths like him.

Joe Nation wrote:

Probably. I have problems with self-censorship.
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 09:51 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

No I wouldn't. And the reason has nothing to do with the quality of my writing (or the lack thereof). I often write here while procrastinating from real work. Suppose, for example, that I did post under my real name, and that I worked for an employer who wanted an excuse to get rid of people. All that HR would have to do search for my real name, find my A2K account, program a web spider to crawl my posts, and extract incriminating statements. Even just the time stamps would be toxic, because they would reveal when I surfed the web from work. (Which I often did --- A2K has always been my favorite procrastination from productive work.)

And that's just one reason I value the privacy of posting here anonymously. There are several others.
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 09:55 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
I will NOT give out my real last name on the Internet. It's a very rare last name.

"Roberta bin Laden" does indeed sound conspicuous. Especially for a correspondent who claims to be Jewish.

Oops. . . .
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:06 am
@Thomas,
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

No I wouldn't. And the reason has nothing to do with the quality of my writing (or the lack thereof). I often write here while procrastinating from real work. Suppose, for example, that I did post under my real name, and that I worked for an employer who wanted an excuse to get rid of people. All that HR would have to do search for my real name, find my A2K account, program a web spider to crawl my posts, and extract incriminating statements. Even just the time stamps would be toxic, because they would reveal when I surfed the web from work. (Which I often did --- A2K has always been my favorite procrastination from productive work.)

And that's just one reason I value the privacy of posting here anonymously. There are several others.

Crap. I forgot about that.

Joe(I'm screwed)Nation
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:13 am
@Joe Nation,
Well, I've never used the internet for private purposes when I was employed. (That would have been a reason to get fired.)
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, I've never used the internet for private purposes when I was employed. ...

((cough cough)) What do you think I'm doing right now. Razz
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Well, if you worked in Germany, I were in opposition to the ruling of the Federal Labour Court from 2005 Wink
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 11:02 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

Probably. I have problems with self-censorship.

I can confirm that. I have had lunch with joefromchicago several times. He disagrees with some of my opinions in person as often as he does online. He cringes when he hears what I say in person as often as he cringes when he reads what I write online.