So, would you write that if you had to sign your real name?

djjd62

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:53 pm
@George,
it's got all you could ask for

if all your asking for is a cemetery and the Dairy Freez (where you get your Boston Cooler, and really what more does one man need)
George

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:55 pm
@djjd62,
Must be a different Northridge.
Oh, wait a minute.
You're in Ontario.
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/04/05/wdr-620-dairy-freez2.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 01:01 am
@George,
Boston?

I'm originally from New York...I hate Boston!

Actually, I've been to Boston on numerous occassions and it it is a great city.

And as long as Bostonians don't display their inherent inferiority complex by talking sports, they are, overall, a good lot.

However...I'm not travelling anywhere simply for an A2K gathering. If I have business in Boston (or anywhere else) I will try to join in, but no matter how I love all you fools, I aint spending my personal time and money travelling to an A2K Jamboree.

I know this is soul crushing to most members of this forum, but chalk it up to the selfishness of a capitalist robber baron.

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 07:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Let us know if you ever find yourself in Chicago with a few extra hours on your hands.
aidan

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 01:08 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
WOW! (Forgive me for shouting.) Rebecca, this post (which I've quoted in part to provide emphasis) is the best post I've ever read here in the roughly three years I've posted here at A2K regarding the way that some of the members treat others. You're absolutely right. Right on! You're also one of the kindest persons I've ever met online, and you show a lot of maturity. Thanks for making my day!

That's very nice of you to say. Thank you William.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 01:41 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
My name is not Joe(I know this comes as a shock to you all.)Nation.

I've always admired Frank Apisa's use of his name and Walter and (damn!) someone else that I've just now forgotten (again!).
I've thought about going back and re-submitting a membership with my real name about haven't mostly because I am one of the laziest sons-a-bitches on this planet.

Besides, I am on Facebook
(Real Name ~Jonathan Jeffries )
<Friend me, friend me!!)
so you can read a lot of my comments about a lot of things written by me with my real name plastered up there in the right hand corner of the page.

I am starting this thread to discuss what has become a thorn for me. Some people write truly awful, fact-less, thoughtless posts and I always wonder if they would post such things if they had to use their real identity.

Yeah, yeah yeah, I know. America has a great history of pamphleteering with the majority of them being written by A.Nom A mUS Gentleman or somesuch.
MY Nom D. Plume was:
Nom David Plume.

Joe Nation wrote:
I can forgive some of those writers because, as Salmon Rushdie was,
they were under threat of death or, at least, persecution or prosecution of some sort.

Some others of them were just weasels like the ones here.

(I'm am very sorry for besmirching the reputation of the happy weasel,
but there is no other word I like better.)

Anyway, let's talk. I want to start calling people out.

If they can't reveal who the hell they are, then why in hell should we
spend any of our waking hours considering what they have to say.
Is THAT a criterion of credibility??
Marx & Hitler told us who THAY were.
I did not believe either of them. I still don 't.

Joe Nation wrote:
I am going to start asking for names and asking the questions:
1) would you sign your real name to that tripe you just wrote?
I woud now, if I felt like it,
because I have less need of anonymity.
When first I joined Abuzz and later A2K,
I had received a very comfortable job
the exercise of whose duties was not consistent
with my First Amendment rights. Accordingly,
I did not write under my own name; (so, I used my email address).
I retired a few years ago, after 12 years on the job.

Joe Nation wrote:
2) Would you say that to my face if you and I were standing in a bar room?
Woud u start a brawl ?
I dunno. U got a little tense, when u found out
that I rejected the title: "Uncle".

Joe Nation wrote:
Or should I just shut up?
I don 't suggest that.

Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(his mother called him Jonathan)Nation*

*see above
Do u wanna be called Jon? or Uncle Joe?

(does Stalin have that one taken ?)

David
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 02:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:
Woud u start a brawl ?
I dunno.

Whether or not I'd start a fight with you depends on what happens when the barman asks us to pay up. I didn't have any of that pizza, so I'm not paying for it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 05:35 am
@izzythepush,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:
Woud u start a brawl ?
I dunno.
izzythepush wrote:

Whether or not I'd start a fight with you depends on what happens
when the barman asks us to pay up. I didn't have any of that pizza,
so I'm not paying for it.
SO STIPULATED, Izzy.
I 'll take care of that; u pay for the Beef Wellington.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:02 am
Had a stray thought about this last night:

I'm not one to say "the Internet is ruining everything," and I think a lot of the complaints about it are overblown. However one change, I think, is how much megaphone communication we do now as compared to pre-internet.

Not that many people actually stood in the town square and declared their views via megaphone. Not that many people actually published what they thought and had those thoughts distributed to friends, family, and neighbors.

Pre-internet, most interactions were pretty limited. You'd talk to individuals, or maybe a small group of individuals (4-5 people at a party, say -- even if it's a large party, you're not usually talking to everyone at once unless it's a toast or something).

I have lots of different sides to me and I don't always reveal all of those sides in any given conversation. There are a lot of reasons for that. Connection, cost/benefit, fun, being helpful -- I'm just unlikely to interact in the exact same way with my hilariously inappropriate same-age male friend as with my mother in law or my daughter's friend.

This comes up for me on Facebook, as I'm "friends" with all of these people. Some things I just say and damn the torpedoes -- but other times it's deeply weird for me when a friend from one category comments on something I've said to a friend from another. When I'm deep in helpful-mom mode and one of my inappropriate male friends comment for example. (I have a few of those -- by inappropriate I don't mean how they behave towards me, they're all nice and respectful guys, but we share a sense of humor that would shock mothers-in-law and 11-year-olds.)

As a result, I'm very careful what I say on Facebook. I'm willing to defend pretty much anything I say but I'm also conscious of not wasting too much energy getting into petty fights that don't accomplish anything, or of unnecessarily damaging relationships that are fairly shallow but still mutually beneficial. (I try to keep my Facebook friends to people I actually know and consider friends, but only a small percentage of them are close friends, many others are more like friendly acquaintances.)

It's nice for me to let loose here, comparably, though even then I have my limits. My husband has made it clear that even with anonymity he'd like me to not reveal a lot about him. I've realized that connections might be made even with anonymity and try to keep things to what I would be willing to support to anyone at anytime.

But my interactions are varied and they don't all span the entirety of who I am. Nor do they need to.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:29 am
@sozobe,
I very much agree......hawkeye is the real me but only a sliver of me. I come to A2K to explore controversal ideas as I can rarely do in real life for several reasons to include that my circle does not include that many very different, smart, thoughtful opinionated people. A2k reminds me of the comment about democracy and sausage making...the threads often look unapealing but there is great value to be found here. Robert should keep this in mind as he enbarks on his lattest effort to tame the place.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Somebody said the other day that only the strong surivive here, which I think is correct. A2k is a place for smart strong willed people to test themselves against people who strongly disagree with them and who can put up a good argument against them. I would hate to lose that. There are already a bazillion other places for the dumb and the weak to gather, they dont need to have a2k too.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 01:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Thanks, Snood. I thought it might be something good to talk about especially amongst the members who have been here since before here was here. I haven't had a chance yet, but I think I want to go back through these responses and tease out some data as to the conditions and reasons posters gave for masking or unmasking.
I believe, even without doing that, that you've summed up quite nicely the two major ones
~~
Several years ago I met face to face with a member and we were talking about the others on the forum.
I was shocked to find that she had not only met OmSigDavid but liked him.
I didn't, in no particular order, like him or his posts, but, paraphrasing her, she said,
"Oh, shucks, he's just a grumpy, old guy."
So, at my first opportunity (about a year later) I invited him to a meet-up.
Guess what? He's just a grumpy, old guy.
Jon (or Joe), we have only met once,
if my memory is accurate. During that meeting, I had no occasion
to complain about ANYTHING. I was fully pleased n satisfied.
We have never had any face-to-face disagreement.
I have not expressed discontent, in your personal presence.
The ONLY thing that I recall saying to u was an acknowledgement
of your deft skill in poignant writing. We had no dispute about that.

Joe Nation wrote:
Yes, yes, obsessed with weapons and all that,
but... really, meeting him made him seem more human to me.
I have never discussed weapons in your personal presence.
At that meeting, that topic did not arise; no one spoke of it,
so far as I know (tho I admit to some deficit of hearing).

Joe Nation wrote:
I'm not the type to vilify, but, if I was,
I think I would find it a lot more difficult to spray invective on people whom I had met in person.
I am relieved to know that (my dry cleaner knows not how to get invective off)
since we r destined to have dinner or drinks together
(I don 't remember the stakes; I wrote them somewhere)
depending upon the legal fortunes of Mr. Zimmerman, in Florida.

Joe Nation wrote:
I think that would also be true if the only thing I knew about them was their name.

~~
Wait until you hear about the hate mail I got because of this thread.

Joe(It was hysterical in all that word's meanings)Nation
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 07:46 pm
@JPB,
I certainly will.

I actually would like to attend one of these gatherings (if only to see if I can make mega-bucks by suing snood after he punches me out), but not enough that I am going to spend time and money travelling to one.

When next The Gathering comes to Dallas, please let me know.
snood

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 09:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If you didn't say anything to me disrespectful and insulting,, you'd not have any cause for a suit. But it is interesting you are already threatening preemptively to sue - your notion of a likely outcome of us meeting.

I do make it a policy when practical to directly confront people with any issues I may have with them - rather than gossip, whisper, or malign or attack from behind a pseudonym and keyboard. I wouldn't change a part of myself I respect for the likes of you.

It's funny. I still harbor vague hopes that men of widely divergent beliefs can break bread and find common human ground. Just the bleeding heart in me, I guess.

But from what I've seen here,
I think it much more likely that you wouldn't say anything directly to me. I can easily envision you making smartass asides just within earshot enough to provoke, but faint enough to maintain plausible deniability when you call the cops for me breaking your face. Because I think you are a prissy coward. Just my opinion.

Heck, who knows - maybe we would just briefly acknowledge each other, then just enjoy the pleasantries of the others.

JLNobody

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 09:20 pm
@snood,
I'd like very much to break bread with you, Snood. But please, let's make it whole grain.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:24 pm

Gee,

I hope we did not lose Jon, or Joe, the author of this thread.

David
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:08 pm
Fortunately or unfortunately, many on a2k know me by my real name. I've met many face-to-face at a2k meets in San Francisco, Austin, Houston, Chicago, Philly, London, and Lippstadt. I would like to some day meet the people in Boston and NY, but I'm waiting for a cruise to NE Canada that I need to plan soon.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Joe Nation is still around. But I'm sure he appreciates your concern.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:26 pm
David wrote:

Quote:
since we r destined to have dinner or drinks together
(I don 't remember the stakes; I wrote them somewhere)
depending upon the legal fortunes of Mr. Zimmerman, in Florida.

I've been traveling and not had much time to poke my head in here, besides the thread seems to have been doing fine without me.

hmmm. you don't remember the stakes of our bet:
I think it was this:

If Zimmerman is set free, you buy dinner for both of us in celebration.
If Zimmerman is convicted, you buy dinner for both of us in commiseration with my broken heart which I will then write tearfully about.

Isn't that right ? Laughing

Joe(I have been following those events at all)Nation
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 03:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe(must be an lawyer)Nation knows how to make good statements. Mr. Green
0 Replies