So, would you write that if you had to sign your real name?

Below viewing threshold (view)
msolga

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 02:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
but i am holding out for facts/evidence/logic which indicate that the argument is crap

But you see, hawkeye, (to me, anyway) it's a bit like someone challenging you to prove that the earth is not flat, or prove that the holocaust actually happened ...
If I don't find someone's initial argument particularly compelling or credible in the first place, then I'm certainly not going to waste my time disproving their argument.
Just the idea of indulging in that sort of exercise sorta drives me nuts. Wink
Why would I bother?
I'm simply not interested in the exercise ... it doesn't seem worth the time & effort it would involve.
Surely it is up to the person who makes some obscure argument to convince others of the rightness of their convictions?
The ball's in your court.
And no amount of referring to "the collective" opposition to your arguments is going to convince anyone who can't see the validity of your position in the first place.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 03:11 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But you see, hawkeye, (to me, anyway) it's a bit like someone challenging you to prove that the earth is not flat, or prove that the holocaust actually happened ...
If I don't find someone's initial argument particularly compelling or credible in the first place, then I'm certainly not going to waste my time disproving their argument.

Exactly, not so much a 'seeker of truth,' but a 'speaker of bollocks.'

Hawkeye likes to 'big himself up' into neo-Messianic status, and he's upset that the only person who actually believes that crap is his lickspittle BillRM.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your response is unsuprising, seeing as you are one of those whose offerings are often of a nature which would not be spoken face to face. You probably deny this; you may even respond to this in a way which common sense and selp-preservation would preclude you from uttering were we meeting in the flesh.

But in the same way as the spineless, centerless Mitt Romney's nature comes through in his public appearances, yours is manifest here to anyone who is honestly paying attention.

Foofie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 10:52 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Foofie wrote:

I don't give my real name, for the same reason I would not want to meet anyone on A2K in person. My life is not an open book; I am an introvert (that does not mean I am shy); and my willingness to let strangers connect my real name with anything I reveal about my life is part of my inherent mistrust of strangers, not to mention the people that can read A2K posts without being a member.

In fact I hope to forget your real name; will never visit you on facebook; and in my opinion, I find your outgoing nature appropriate if you were just born a puppy.

P.S. And, when all is said, I do not like my real name. Others need not know it.

You forgot one- the one about being too cowardly to reveal your real name because you know you could never say the things you do unless you do it anonymously.

Your pejorative adhominem reason above does not trump the fact that only a fool, in my opinion, allows strangers into their life, in a society with its fair share of sociopaths.

Also, my dear Snood, this forum has functioned adequately to maintain a membership in its present "anonymous" mode for quite some time; however, one member chooses to proselytize a new "candid, non-anonymous" mode based on one apparent reason, not including the curiosity factor. In my opinion, I have no ethical right to change the functioning of this forum, and no ethical right to change the functioning of this nation, and no ethical right to change the functioning of any particular state. Thus, I vote Republican in national elections, and accept the fact that the people that are the 1% do not ethically have a need to share anything with anyone. In other words, I do not "take over," any time-honored modality, be it forum, nation, or state. I honor the people that did all the "heavy-lifting" to make this forum what it is, the country what it is, and states what they are. IF I MIND MY OWN BUSINESS, I DO NOT HAVE TO ACQUIESCE TO OTHERS' DESIRES TO CHANGE THINGS.

P.S. I am also a coward to vote Democratic in national elections, since Democrats apparently like to play Robin Hood, and are parasites off the wealthy, in my opinion( said by someone of very moderate means). Too many Jews have always been accused of wanting to "take over," so I am very wary of anyone wanting to rally me for a change (aka, "take over").

P.P.S. But, if you are intellectually honest, you will agree that I have been the recipient of many, many adhominem posts, while I only try to logically explain my position. So, your "coward" accusation should be directed toward those that sling the adhominems. I would not want you to know my name, since I might be very frightened of you, and my being a coward I could just drop dead by your visage, if perchance we ever met by accident. Perhaps the meek will inherit the Earth, and not the macho?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:03 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Foofie, I admit I kid about you sometimes. I'm not crazy about my given name, but I figure I'm one among many on that, and after the nuns stopped saying it to get me to be quiet (or whatever), I figured that was it.
Do you really dislike your name?

You don't have to tell us - I get why you wouldn't - but I hope you can get to like your name. I gather you are older and still don't like it. I hope you work that out.

My mother chose my first name. I find it pretentious. My surname is a common American Jewish name. I have no use for Judaism, so a name that labels me Jewish is of no use to me.

But, regardless, we live in a society that includes its fair share of sociopaths. Giving out one's real name is just foolish, in my opinion. One need not be a member of the forum, to read the posts.

And, since I was already accused of being a "coward" for not wanting to give out my real name, I see how there are people on the forum that put a pejorative spin on my reasoning. Just another place, this forum, where people need "street smarts," in my opinion.
Foofie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:13 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

But in the same way as the spineless, centerless Mitt Romney's nature comes through in his public appearances, yours is manifest here to anyone who is honestly paying attention.

Is the above an adhominem, or just "constructive criticism"? Why no "constructive criticism" of the President?

I take it you value the persona of the President in his public addresses. Odd, I always think the President is talking down to me? Sort of like a minister talking down to his sinning congregation. Perhaps, it is a figment of my imagination? I suspect many caucasoidal folk don't have my opinion, or is it that they might have been conditioned not to voice their thoughts, afraid of being labelled a bigot?

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:21 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Giving out one's real name is just foolish, in my opinion.
Well, seems to be totally okay to have this opinion. But I seriously doubt that you have read e.g. Frank's or my reasons. Or "foolish" means something different for you.
Foofie wrote:

And, since I was already accused of being a "coward" for not wanting to give out my real name, I see how there are people on the forum that put a pejorative spin on my reasoning. Just another place, this forum, where people need "street smarts," in my opinion.
Another of your opinions ...
Foofie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Giving out one's real name is just foolish, in my opinion.
Well, seems to be totally okay to have this opinion. But I seriously doubt that you have read e.g. Frank's or my reasons. Or "foolish" means something different for you.
Foofie wrote:

Another of your opinions ...

You live in Europe. Fairly far from most posters. You can afford to have your opinion, without much concern, in my opinion.

Now tell me there are no neo-Nazis.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:46 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

You live in Europe. Fairly far from most posters. You can afford to have your opinion, without much concern, in my opinion.

So what does the distance between various posters have to do with real names? (I've met some dozens - even living as far away from Europe as in Australia - and they know my name and I theirs.) And what have neo-Nazis to do with it? (No, I don't tell you that "there are no neo-Nazis.)
Foofie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 06:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:

So what does the distance between various posters have to do with real names? (I've met some dozens - even living as far away from Europe as in Australia - and they know my name and I theirs.) And what have neo-Nazis to do with it? (No, I don't tell you that "there are no neo-Nazis.)

Your questions reflect, in my opinion, that my subtle allusions are not clear to you. That is fine. In my opinion, it only confirms my belief that non Anglo (aka, English speaking) Europeans are really cut from a different cloth, so to speak. Enjoy your Oktoberfest festivities.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 07:07 pm
@Foofie,
Your subtle allusions aren't very clear to me, either, Foofie. And I've been a resident of the united States of America for more than 60 of my 73 years. I suspect that your way of thinking isn't any too clear to any of us, regardless of ethnicity.
Foofie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Your subtle allusions aren't very clear to me, either, Foofie. And I've been a resident of the united States of America for more than 60 of my 73 years. I suspect that your way of thinking isn't any too clear to any of us, regardless of ethnicity.

You have the gift of reading other people's minds?

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:08 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
That is fine. In my opinion, it only confirms my belief that non Anglo (aka, English speaking) Europeans are really cut from a different cloth, so to speak. Enjoy your Oktoberfest festivities.
I'm not a Bavarian nor do I follow their traditions.

As for "Anglo" - what's your reason to leave the Saxons out?
But if you're really referring to the "Anglos" - any idea where they live? (On a small peninsula [within the larger Jutland peninsula] in Southern Schleswig in the northern Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.) The "Anglo" language is a Northern Low Saxon dialect.

("Hinteler" is from a Southern Low Saxon dialect.)
Irishk

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:23 am
@Joe Nation,
Yes, yes and yes (wait...how many questions were there???).

Several here know my real name (it's only been shared privately, though).

Girls gotta be careful Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I always knew you Saxons was low . . .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:37 am
@Setanta,
Better that than a fibre Jute ...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
That is fine. In my opinion, it only confirms my belief that non Anglo (aka, English speaking) Europeans are really cut from a different cloth, so to speak. Enjoy your Oktoberfest festivities.
I'm not a Bavarian nor do I follow their traditions.

As for "Anglo" - what's your reason to leave the Saxons out?
But if you're really referring to the "Anglos" - any idea where they live? (On a small peninsula [within the larger Jutland peninsula] in Southern Schleswig in the northern Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.) The "Anglo" language is a Northern Low Saxon dialect.

("Hinteler" is from a Southern Low Saxon dialect.)

Don't forget to mention how you are descended from "free farmers."

All kidding aside, your explanation above is wasted on me, since in my world view some Europeans came over to the New World, became Americans or Canadians, and have immersed themselves in the society they live in here. The Old World is the back drop for all the stories that European children learn in their countries. Neither one is better than the other; however, do not believe every American has an interest in the nuances of European history before it interacted with the Americas. That schtick about Germanic tribes is just so much Old World hubris, in my opinion. Sort of like when Europeans hear stories about the Old Testament. Really of no value today.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:54 pm
@snood,
You're really into macho **** aren't you snood or whoever the **** you really are.

You "revealed" your true identity!

Wow! How brave and noble is snood!

You've shamed me into revealing my own identity:

Mitt Romney!

Or is it Fred Smith?

snood

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 05:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You're really into macho **** aren't you snood or whoever the **** you really are.

You "revealed" your true identity!

Wow! How brave and noble is snood!

You've shamed me into revealing my own identity:

Mitt Romney!

Or is it Fred Smith?

Dang, buddy - take a breath... maybe even a couple deep ones into a paper bag. You seem really worked up.

This thread has made it pretty clear that people stay anonymous because of one of two reasons. They either don't want to risk their privacy to what might be unscrupulous or downright crazy people they encounter here; or they have to stay nameless to negate any chance that anyone will hold them to account for all the bigmouthed slanders they spew.

Now, I know this thread might have bothered you, because you maybe more than anyone write a lot of things on this forum that you could not say to people in person. That's probably what that last post of yours to me was about, huh? "I'm not scared of you, snood!", right?

Relax, bud. Everyone understands you couldn't talk so much snotty billy bad ass pseudo-intellect if anyone knew who you were or where to find you. But we're old internet buddies, so let's just make like you're trying not to encounter web crazies and pervs, and leave it at that, mmmkay?