Congressional Hearings on Shock Jocks

Timothy Leary

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:38 am
Meanwhile Jerry Springer, former politician, is still on the air.....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:58 am
isn't about time the gov't revamped the FCC -- with elected officials?

what we have now, from http://www.fcc.gov/aboutus.html
Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency, directly responsible to Congress. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

call me crazy, but our society has changed somewhat in the last 70 years... why are we still operating under outdated precepts?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:49 pm
This is another one of the liberties we are to give up under the Patriot Act so that we can captures all them freedom hating terrorists Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:53 pm
BillW wrote:
This is another one of the liberties we are to give up under the Patriot Act so that we can captures all them freedom hating terrorists Rolling Eyes

ROUGE TERRIERS!! EVIL DOERS!!!

Shoot, I couldn't even open a savings account with $100 deposit without a background check, compliments of Homeland Security.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 05:14 pm
Just read a little diddy that said the Bush family is a vested interest in Clear Channel - things just keep getting more and more interesting.........
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 05:16 pm
Quote:
Radio Ga Ga

Clear Channel Worldwide Inc., the nation's largest owner of radio stations (over 1200 stations in all 50 states and DC), sponsored the numerous "patriotic rallies" which were held in various cities around the country. They organized, advertised, provided speakers and entertainment for them, and even handed out numerous American flags to participants.

While Clear Channel promoted these as patriotic rallies, the attendees obviously felt otherwise. In addition to waving their provided flags, they also held signs condemning their fellow Americans - liberals, Hollywood, the Dixie Chicks. They were not so much patriotic rallies as pro-war rallies, and not so much pro-war rallies as rallies against anyone who opposes the Bush administration's policies.

There are close ties between the company and President Bush. The Vice Chair of the company is Tom Hicks, a member of the Bush Pioneer club for elite (and generous) donors. The relationship between Bush and Hicks goes back even further, however. The two were embroiled in scandal when Hicks, as University of Texas Regent, was responsible for granting endowment management contracts of the newly created (under legislation signed by Bush) UT Investment Management Co. (UTIMCO). The contracts were given to firms politically connected to both Hicks and Bush, including the Carlyle Group - a firm which has the first President Bush on the payroll and had the second one on the payroll until just weeks before receiving this lucrative business. The board of UTIMCO also included the Chair of Clear Channel, L. Lowry Mays. In addition, Hicks purchased the Texas Rangers from George Bush, making him a wealthy man through a deal that was partially sweetened by a shiny new taxpayer financed stadium, which included valuable land obtained at below market rates through the use of eminent domain.

Whether or not the close ties between the radio behemoth Clear Channel and the president have anything to do with their rallying support for his policies is unclear. If it were a small company it would not much matter. But Clear Channel is a media giant, dominating the radio and promotion industries. The potential for the alignment of big media and the government should concern us all, especially as FCC Chair Michael Powell continues to push to reduce the barriers to even further media consolidation.

http://www.takebackthemedia.com/radiogaga.html
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 05:30 pm
Today, Howard Stern reminded the audience that he was removed from clear channel one day (maybe it was two days) after he came out against Bush and that up until then, Stern supported Bush and nary a complaint came from Clear Channel.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:27 am
doomsayer stern says he'll be off the air in a week.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:43 am
Region Philbis wrote:
doomsayer stern says he'll be off the air in a week.

Controversy is what Howard sells. If he's off the air, he's a hotter property than if he's on the air.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:49 pm
Stern undergoround - are we at the beginning of a new Puritan age Question I believe it's more along the anti-Bush retoric coming out of Howie. It's really a true free speech issue and another Fascist policy.......
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:09 pm
consensus on the stern show is that he's being singled out, which is nothing new... there was a segment on oprah last week that was apparently AS graphic, if not more so than a similar radio bit from 2001 -- the transcript of which was sent as a complaint to the FCC...
links to both transcripts can be found on the stern web site.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:27 pm
If I'm not mistaken - Oprah is no Bush lover, so she is very vulnerable...............
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 06:07 pm
The plot thickens? Re: Oprahs "O" Magazine Editor?/Writer? (I heard it was editor) Shocked Shocked

While doing a search on this subject, I found this: (I didn't include a link, because the website appeared to be of "adult" nature and I removed the graphic parts):

Former Focus on Family Journalist Irks Stern by Discussing Sex on Oprah
By: Scott Ross
03-23-2004

NEW YORK - As fans of Howard Stern are aware, the Oprah Winfrey Show recently aired a rerun of a show that included language that would likely be considered indecent. Most listeners are probably not aware of what the offending words were since they were beeped out at least twice when Stern attempted to play the segment in question.

(Graphic description of Oprah show removed by me.)

Michelle Burford, a writer for O, The Oprah Magazine, had interviewed 50 teenage girls and their mothers to find out how much parents knew about their daughter's sex lives. She appeared on "Is Your Child Living a Double Life?" an episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show that originally aired on October 2, 2003 and was rerun last week....

Ironically, prior to joining O, The Oprah Magazine, Burford was journalist for Focus on Family, a conservative Christian group that publishes a number of magazines. Focus on Family advocates stringent enforcement of FCC regulations.

A graduate of Biola University, a Christian college in California, Burford once told a Christian magazine that her goals were to infiltrate mainstream media so she could influence coverage to reflect Christian values.

"Not long after I graduated, I began to wonder how I could make a difference in an industry that is often hostile to the concepts Jesus Christ put forth," Burford told the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities. "I wanted to have a voice in the forces that are shaping mainstream culture."

A transcript of the segement in question has been posted on HowardStern.com, Stern's official Website. A portion of the transcript reads:

0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:56 am
I think Howard is off the air for good as of this morning. Can anyone confirm this ?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:58 am
he's still on -- it was an april fool's joke.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:11 am
LOL Very Happy They got me. Fun without the filth. I should have known better.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:16 am
had me hook, line & sinker Embarrassed Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:16 am
Got me too this morning...I'm such a sucker. Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:21 am
i think its safe to say it ranks right up there with The War of the Worlds Broadcast Smile
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:40 am
This morning on WAAF they yanked the whole show minus one guy off the air for them saying "nipple." It's getting ridonkulous.
0 Replies