Congressional Hearings on Shock Jocks

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:31 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General to General News.

Link to Howard Stern Story

Quote:
CBS/AP) The head of the nation's largest radio group said he was "ashamed" of one "shock jock" program, even as his company suspended another, better-known personality's show.

Clear Channel Radio has pulled Howard Stern's show from the half dozen of its 1,200 stations that run it, saying it did not meet the company's newly revised programming standards.

Stern blamed the suspension on a Congressional hearing "because the Clear Channel guy's being called up in front of the committee today" and likened it to the McCarthy anti-communist hearings of the 1950s.

Congress is going to be holding hearings concerning programming standards on the radio. In the last week, "Bubba the Love Sponge" was fired, and Howard Stern's show was taken off some of the network's stations.

When I lived in NY, over 10 years ago, I would listen to Howard Stern. He could be excruciatingly funny. Even though I consider myself sophisticated, Rolling Eyes sometimes he was a "bit much" for me, and I would turn him off, when he got excessively raunchy. But it never would occur to me to protest the show. If some people wanted to listen to Howard, far be it from me to make an objection.

What do you think of "shock jocks"? Should the government control what is on the airwaves? Does this hearing mark the beginning of more censorship in the media?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,781 • Replies: 97
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:02 am
This makes me so incensed, I'll have to come back to it. Needless to say, it is the beginning of the end for free speech in America, and things will only get worse if Bush is re-elected.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:09 am
I'm torn between my belief in free speech and my sadness at the decline of civility in America. I know civility/gentility can't be legislated, but I wish there were some way of leaving the constitution intact while discouraging rudeness.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:43 am
I listen to Howard here in NYC every once in awhile. A few years ago I thought he was edgy and funny and looking to push our uptight buttons, but (and I am the first to admit there is some fogeyness creeping in here, maybe I am getting too old for this stuff.) he now seems rather painfully sophomoric.

=="Oh, good." I grumble, " Another show devoted to the subject of penis piercing. What else shall we discover that we don't already know.?" ==

The twenty-year old men working around me think he is "a comic bomb."*, they are devoted fans.

Maybe it's because I'm usually eating when he is on........

Anyway, what I came by to say was free speech on the airwaves of the US is about to end, not because of people like Howard Stern, but because of people like Powell at the FCC allowing giant corporations to string networks across the country that then allows them to control the truths or untruths that are broadcast. My conservative friends groan when I say this but there is no liberal media in America. There is the conservative and the mostly conservative and the silent.

Joe

* actual quote, completely missing the historical irony.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:30 am
This news chilled me. That clear channel (or whatever the network is called) canceled his show was one thing, that congress is thinking about legislation is another thing entirely!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:45 am
Non Sequitur, a comic strip by Wiley, is dealing with a censored radio personality right now. The radio guy is an interviewer and the his boss is criticizing him for critical thinking.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:16 am
I have mixed feelings. I, often, listen to Howard on my way into work. About two weeks ago- he played the sounds of a man raping a woman from some video. I did turn it off as soon as I realized what was going on.I was sick to my stomach. It was so disturbing to me that I didn't sleep well for two or three nights.
On the same idea- about a year ago I watched a movie on Lifetime. The movie was a story about a girl who was being molested by her step father. They actually showed the man on top of her (his boxers were still on). I still loose sleep about that one.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:08 am
i'm a longtime stern listener. he's been battling the FCC, and losing radio markets, for years. a few years ago there was a similar mass-cancellation of his show in parts of canada.

IMO (i'm obviously biased) i don't think he does or says anything that can not also be found on prime-time television, in one form or another.

mike powell & friends will get their wish granted by november '05, when stern claims he will retire from radio for good... at which time i'll have to figure out how to get to work without hearing his voice for the first time in 18 years Sad
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 09:32 am
ClearChannel caved like a house of cards because of perceived political pressure from Congress and offered Howard Stern and some others up as sacrificial lambs. Sucks for his fans in Rochester,Miami,Louisville,San Diego, and Pittsburgh. You can always tell when it's an election year.

I don't want the government deciding what I can and can't listen to. If you don't like what you hear you can always turn the dial. Free speech if only comfortable speech isn't free at all.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 09:34 am
Yeah, it sucks big time.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:19 am
angry stern fans can check out
http://www.savehoward.org
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:36 am
There's a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon, between censorship and responsible broadcasting.

Howard Stern has been publicly degrading, abusing, and proxy-raping every woman, for I don't know how many years.

Would this be permitted by Us, the People, if he did it in a public square? Of course not. We'd be outraged. We'd kick him the hell outta there.

So why is he allowed to do it on the radio and on TV? Aren't those the "public squares" of this century?

I don't believe in government-initiated censorship, but I sure believe in a population having the intestinal fortitude to say "No" to the violent garbage being inflicted on them by sadistic pigs like Stern, Springer, Gibson, et all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 12:30 pm
Quote:
I don't believe in government-initiated censorship, but I sure believe in a population having the intestinal fortitude to say "No" to the violent garbage being inflicted on them by sadistic pigs like Stern, Springer, Gibson, et all.

There is a way. They call it the audio tuner and the remote control. Personally, I think that those shows pander to the lowest in all of us. But in a free society, it is really very easy to get the shows off the air, without having the government stick its big nose into everything. If nobody listens, the shows will be cancelled. Obviously, there are people who like those shows.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 12:32 pm
katya8--

I agree with your thoughts and admire your clear, cogent presentation.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 12:46 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

There is a way. They call it the audio tuner and the remote control. Personally, I think that those shows pander to the lowest in all of us. But in a free society, it is really very easy to get the shows off the air, without having the government stick its big nose into everything. If nobody listens, the shows will be cancelled. Obviously, there are people who like those shows.

Agreed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:04 pm
Sheesh....sorry, but I don't agree with katya8 at all. Proxy-raping every woman? You've got to be kidding. Let's not forget that there is another way these shows would be cancelled: If people weren't begging to get on them. Stern does nothing more than hold a mirror up to America's face to show them a piece of themselves they are obviously uncomfortable seeing, and he presents it in a humorous way, however low-brow. If the US doesn't want to accept that they are becoming a nation of lunatics, then I pity them for the road they are going down.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:10 pm
Quote:
What do you think of "shock jocks"? Should the government control what is on the airwaves?

Absolutely not.

But, I wouldn't complain if Stern's infantile crap-fest he calls a show was cancelled tomorrow.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:25 am
cav,
just about everybody has an opinion on stern -- good or bad -- bcos just about everybody listens to him.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:51 am
Does anyone know exactly what the "Bubba the Love Sponge" show was about/what was said?
Anyone hear it?
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 01:29 pm
Noddy24.........thank you, for those kind words Confused Confused
0 Replies