Will you be getting a flu vaccine this coming season?

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:44 pm
So? Will you be getting a flu vaccine this coming season? If not then why not? Is your position backed up by actual science or mere gut feeling? Will you be helping/getting your children? Elderly parents? Etc... get their own flu vaccine shots this year? If you are getting a relative or friend help to become vaccinated but not yourself, then what factors are there for you to have two different positions? Is it principles? Monetary? Etc...?

Some relevant scientific context for those interested in actual scientific context AKA facts:
Influenza Vaccine 2012 - 2013
Inactivated What You Need to Know
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-flu.pdf
When Flu Hits, Kids With Neurological Problems Are Vulnerable
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/08/29/160238021/when-flu-hits-kids-with-neurological-problems-are-vulnerable

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,

yup.
i never used to get them, but did an about-face three years ago when H1N1 hysteria was all the rage.
since i can get them for free at work every year, it's a no-brainah...
roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 01:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
I've gotten them for far longer thatn that. Oddly, they year it was announced the vaccine was in short supply was the only time the WalGreen's line and more that three people waiting. That year, it was more like a hundred.
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:04 pm
@roger,
since my insurance covers all the major vaccines (flu, pmeumonia, and now Im being pestered to get a shingles shot)
Ahgain , a No brainer
chai2

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:09 pm
@farmerman,
I get one every year.

They don't cost much a walgreens, other drug stores and I am not about to get sick if I can avoid it.

triple no brainer.
mismi

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:10 pm
@chai2,
yep Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:40 pm
Since I began using colloidal silver many years ago, I have not had a cold or the flu. Don't need no vaccine.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I have for years. I almost never have colds and haven't had the flu in a bunch of years. My immune system is probably pretty good about all that. However, my lungs likely aren't the best (a twenty year smoker of lots of packs a day, quit thirty years ago), and I go into asthma conditions once in a while, so my getting vaccines makes sense to me.

I do get that some people have reactions to some component in the vaccine. We've talked about that before on a2k.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 04:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Since I began using colloidal silver many years ago, I have not had a cold or the flu. Don't need no vaccine.

I still get the shot for the flu because I don't want to risk that pain, but you know what edgar?

Since I've done yoga, I've never once gotten a cold.
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:44 pm
@chai2,
I one continues to fondle pigs at the fair, one can become infected with the newest strain of swine flu.

A medical tip for today

Youll tank me later
Carry on
chai2

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
Do I have to fondle them, or will just nuzzling them do?

I really don't want to go past 2nd base before the 3rd date.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Have had the flu shot every year since I turned fifty-five,doctor recommended. Last year was the only adverse reaction. After the shot I ran a fever, had chills and felt lousy for about twenty-four hours. This won't deter me from getting this year's shot.

Will you be getting the vaccine this year?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I get a shot every year for free, given my previous cancer history. It's recommended.

Plus, I visit my mother in the care home, it's a real good idea to have it done for the folks there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 06:49 pm
@chai2,
Whatever works, keep on doing it.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I'll be getting a flu shot, I get one every year.

I've only had one real bout with the flu, and that was probably 30 years ago. But it was so awful, and debilitating, that I'd rather not go through that again if I can avoid it.

Once flu season starts, I also start using hand sanitizer more diligently. Don't know if that helps, but I can't even remember the last time I had a cold
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:23 am
Yes, I get an annual flu shot--and a pneumonia shot. Either of those illnesses could kill me. I'll take the shots and have two fewer things to worry about.
firefly

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 09:31 am
@Roberta,
Roberta, I don't think you should get a pneumonia shot every year--that vaccine is not meant to be administered annually to anyone.
Quote:
How is pneumococcal vaccine administered?

The pneumococcal vaccine is given as one dose for most people. The vaccine is injected as a liquid solution of 0.5 mL into the muscle (intramuscular or IM), typically deltoid muscle, or under the skin (subcutaneous or SC). The area injected is typically sterilized by rubbing alcohol onto the skin prior to the injection.

Persons vaccinated prior to age 65 should be vaccinated at age 65 if five or more years have passed since the first dose. For people with lack of spleen function (such as in sickle cell disease or after spleen removal), transplant patients, patients with chronic kidney disease, immunosuppressed or immunodeficient persons, and others at highest risk of fatal infection, a second dose should be given at least five years after first dose.
http://www.medicinenet.com/pneumococcal_vaccination/page2.htm

The pneumonia vaccine really is meant to be given only once--although for people in high risk groups, a second dose can be given after 5 years.
Quote:
Some physicians in our area order PPSV every 5 or 6 years for their patients. Is this correct?
No. CDC recommends 1 dose of PPSV for most people in a lifetime and 2 doses for certain people (see table below). PPSV is a polysaccharide vaccine that does not boost well, and data do not indicate that more than 2 doses are beneficial.

Who needs a second dose of PPSV?

A one-time revaccination is indicated for
• All children and adults through age 64 years who are at highest risk of serious pneumococcal disease or are likely to have a rapid decline in pneumococcal antibody levels (categories 4 through 6 to the left) if 5 years (or more) have elapsed since the previous dose.
• All adults age 65 years and older who were previously vaccinated with one dose of PPSV when younger than age 65 years if 5 years (or more) have elapsed since the previous dose.
• Adults who are first vaccinated at age 65 years or older need only one dose, regardless of their medical condition.
http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p2015.pdf
ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 09:42 am
I got a flu shot one year. Thought I'd die from the resulting 4 day headache.

Haven't since, though I've signed up to get them at work a couple of times.

Think I should follow-through on actually getting the shot this year. They're free everywhere here. Workplaces, med clinics, malls ...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:05 pm
@firefly,
firefly, I got one pneumonia vaccine last year. Didn't know they lasted for five. I just assumed I'd be getting another one this year. Wrong. I'll just get the flu shot. Thanks for all the info.
firefly

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:40 pm
@Roberta,
I think a lot of people don't know that about the pneumonia shot, Roberta, nor do the people in places like the pharmacies bother to inform them that it's not an annual vaccination, like the flu shot. When people, particularly older folk, come in for a flu shot, they routinely ask, "Do you also want the pneumonia vaccine?" They really should not do that, both because it's a subtle form of encouragement to get that vaccine, and also because the person may have had a prior pneumonia shot, or had one within the past five years, and they just don't require or need another dose.

When I got my pneumonia shot from my physician, he told me the correct info on whether, if ever, I might require an additional dose at a later time, so that was how I learned about it.

I'm glad I could pass along the info to you. I wish they would post the same info in the pharmacies, or have it available for people to read.