Will you be getting a flu vaccine this coming season?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:48 am
@chai2,
Is It A Nasty Cold Or The Flu?

The 2017-2018 flu season was one of the deadliest in many years. Let's not top that monstrous stat this year.
This Flu Season Is the Worst in Nearly a Decade
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 01:05 pm
So far - I know of three people who got the flu shot and still got the flu - my daughter included (the child that rarely gets ill).

I got just a touch of it - more of a cold with a slight temperature. I did not get a flu shot.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 03:18 pm
@Linkat,
flu vaccines have hd a mixed effectiveness %. This year (18/19) vaccine mix will be anywhere from 19 to 39% effective. I still got my shots and the prevnar 13 pneumonia shots, although my wife and I both had minorflu-like reactions and injection point swelling from the pneumonia shots.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:09 pm
@farmerman,
That is a pretty low effectiveness -are they usually that low?
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:52 pm
@Linkat,
they apparently have been sinking since the 80"s. I do not know why. Ive never seen anything in the science weeklies .

Id imagine that it may have something to do with the "big E"
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
One thing though, immunity effectiveness or not , they say that your symptoms and severity of the flu will be reduced if you get the shots.
chai2

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

flu vaccines have hd a mixed effectiveness %. This year (18/19) vaccine mix will be anywhere from 19 to 39% effective. I still got my shots and the prevnar 13 pneumonia shots, although my wife and I both had minorflu-like reactions and injection point swelling from the pneumonia shots.

My husbands been in the hospital twice this past year for pneumonia.

Last time he came out was around Dec 4th or 5th. Got on those super power antibiotics that really screw up his INR.

I went to Mexico myself Christmas Eve. He didn't go...we didn't think the altitude would be good. I guess the antibiotics didn't completely eliminate the pneumonia, because when I came home on the first he looked like ****. On the 3rd he went back in via the ER, and got out yesterday afternoon.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

they apparently have been sinking since the 80"s. I do not know why. Ive never seen anything in the science weeklies .

Id imagine that it may have something to do with the "big E"

Sorry, what's the big E?
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 06:33 pm
@chai2,
Evolution
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

One thing though, immunity effectiveness or not , they say that your symptoms and severity of the flu will be reduced if you get the shots.
0 Replies

foothillanesthesia

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 04:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Think I should follow-through on actually getting the shot this year. They're free everywhere here. Workplaces, med clinics, malls ...
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:25 am
@foothillanesthesia,
For frack sakes Australia! Get your act together.

Three more deaths from influenza raise this year’s flu toll to 40 in South Australia
0 Replies

CherylDulac

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 05:33 am
@tsarstepan,
I never got the flu vaccine. If got in childhood then don't know.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2022 12:53 pm
Got my flu shot last Thursday. That'll make my flu shot streak to 22 years.

Interesting article on the best timing to get your yearly flu shot.
How to time your flu shot for best protection
hightor

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2022 01:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I got mine this morning, along with my third COVID booster.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2022 01:47 pm
@hightor,
I was told to wait some time before getting the COVID shot as well as the shingles booster. So, I'll get my second COVID booster in a week or so. Then followed by the shingles vaccine about 10 days later.
0 Replies

james333

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2022 01:49 pm
when ever i get flu i always take injection from doctor to get better
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 12:55 am
I got my Covid booster yesterday. Novavax this time.

I was torn on whether to get a second Johnson and Johnson booster, or to get one of the new bivalent boosters, but I wanted to get a original Novavax done before they replaced it with a bivalent Novavax.

Next spring I'll do either one of the bivalent boosters or get my second Johnson and Johnson booster done.

I was planning on waiting until Thanksgiving for my flu shot (my normal practice) but due to the risk of an early flu season this year I asked them to give me a flu shot in my other arm when I got my Covid shot.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 04:32 am
I got mine Saturday, Covid booster due Thursaday.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 07:13 am
@izzythepush,
All boostered up, but slipped on the flu shot, I like to wait until Nov to get it and I scheduled a trip to Phoenix, AZ to visit my dad - flu central between the elderly, students, immigrants, tourists and native populations; and leaving tommorrow.