The Republican Convention

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
"Supposed" birth?

Even if he is her grandson, which he is not, he still was very definitely born.

I wouldn't call Sullivan a conservative, nor would very many other conservatives. I wouldn't necessarily call him a liberal though. He does tend to defy political labels, I'll give him that.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

"Supposed" birth?

Even if he is her grandson, which he is not, he still was very definitely born.

Well, nobody claims the kid spontaneously burst into being. Just that the 'official' story is quite obviously false.

Quote:
I wouldn't call Sullivan a conservative, nor would very many other conservatives. I wouldn't necessarily call him a liberal though. He does tend to defy political labels, I'll give him that.

You would be wrong about him, then. He IS a Conservative - it is the modern GOP who has drifted from Conservatism into Radicalism. There's very little about prevailing GOP thought that is truly Conservative.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The official story that Sarah Palin is his mother?

The rest is meaningless.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks for that quote, cyclo.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The official story that Sarah Palin is his mother?

The rest is meaningless.

No, it really isn't meaningless. When someone is running for VP, and it turns out that the official stories about events in their life are in fact a pack of lies, it's not meaningless in the slightest.

What you meant to write was, 'I don't give a **** if she's telling the truth of not.' Because that's the least important thing in the world to you guys. At least that's consistent with your standard bearer - Romney's two top attack lines in ads against Obama are complete and total lies, from top to bottom.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 07:52 pm
God, why did I decide to watch tonight? Horrible speakers, lame jokes, lies, borderline racist comments, it's just too much to take.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 08:42 pm
Paul Ryan's speech is literally one lie after another. What a douche.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 08:50 pm
Holy ****, did Ryan just hit Obama for ignoring the Simpson-Bowles commission??? The commission Ryan sat on and voted against?!?!

What a ******* fraud this man is. He has zero shame whatsoever. I hope the media fact-checkers do their job and point out that this guy did nothing but lie constantly throughout is entire speech.

Cycloptichorn
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 02:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Fox News (sic!) says Ryan attempted the record for the most blatant lies slipped into a single speech.
Quote:
... ... ...
Ryan may have helped solve some of the likeability problems facing Romney, but ultimately by trying to deceive voters about basic facts and trying to distract voters from his own record, Ryan’s speech caused a much larger problem for himself and his running mate.

Fox News
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 04:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This is quite an admission from Faux News.

I was asking my wife about the GM closure in Wisconsin nd she said that "That was while Bush was the president, " So she was tippy tapping into fact check about that one and then saw a list of deceptions that Mr Ryan included in his speech.
QUESTION:
DONT ALL THESE GUYS KNOW THAT THEY CAN BE VETTED IN A NANOSECOND??

I wonder if McGentrix will still guzzle all the Kool AId being presented on TV by our candidates?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 06:43 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
DONT ALL THESE GUYS KNOW THAT THEY CAN BE VETTED IN A NANOSECOND??

No, they know it, but they also know that they can repeat their mantra over and over again, while the fact checking is done after the fact and will only reach a handful of people.

BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 06:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What I can't understand is how intellectually honest people who voted for Obama based on promise can maintain support for him despite how he has not only broken his promises but rendered them the claims of a flim flam man.

Roosevelt did not dig us out of the great depression that the GOP got us into in one term either.

Placing the GOP back into power is a sure way to visit the 1930s without needing to use a time machine.
revelette

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 07:15 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
After the speech, CNN's political commentators focused mostly on Ryan's misstatements, demonstrating the degree to which they were evident.

Top Obama adviser David Axelrod jumped on the GM factory claim. "Again, Ryan blames Obama for a GM plant that closed under Bush. But then, they did say they wouldn't 'let fact checkers get in the way.'"

Ryan, however, appears to have made the calculation that the misleading won't hurt him with voters. He might be right. CNN's David Gergen, while acknowledging some "misstatements" in Ryan's address, suggested that pundits focus elsewhere. "But let's not forget that this was a speech about big ideas," he told his audience.

source
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 07:56 am
Quote:

6 Worst Lies In Paul Ryan’s Speech

1. “A downgraded America.” Ryan blamed the president for the nation’s credit downgrade in August 2011 after Republicans threatened to allow the government to default on its debt for the first time in history. But the ratings agency explicitly blamed “Republicans saying that they refuse to accept any tax increases as part of a larger deal.”

2. “More debt than any other president before him, and more than all the troubled governments of Europe combined.” Romney has made the almost identical claim, that Obama has amassed more debt “as almost all of the other presidents combined.” But their math doesn’t add up: when Obama took office, the national debt was $10.626 trillion. It has increased to slightly above $15 trillion.

3. Shuttered General Motors plant is “one more broken promise.” Ryan described a GM plant that closed down in his hometown, Janesville, Wisconsin, and blamed Obama for breaking his promise to keep the plant open when he visited during his campaign. But Obama never made that promise, and the plant shut down in December 2008, before Obama even took office.

4. Obama “did exactly nothing” on Bowles-Simpson. Ryan said, “He created a bipartisan debt commission. They came back with an urgent report. He thanked them, sent them on their way, and then did exactly nothing.” In fact, Ryan was instrumental in sabotaging the commission, leading the other House Republicans in voting against the plan.

5. “$716 billion, funneled out of Medicare by President Obama.” Ryan’s favorite lie is a deliberate distortion of Obamacare’s savings from eliminating inefficiencies. Furthermore, Ryan’s own plan for Medicare includes these savings. Romney has vowed to restore these cuts, which would render the trust fund insolvent 8 years ahead of schedule.

6. “The greatest of all responsibilities is that of the strong to protect the weak.” Ryan closed the speech with an invocation of social responsibility, saying, “The truest measure of any society is how it treats those who cannot defend or care for themselves.” However, numerous clergy members have condemned Ryan’s budget plan as “cruel,” and “an immoral disaster” because of its devastating cuts in social programs the poor and sick rely on. Meanwhile, Ryan would give ultra-rich individuals and corporations $3 trillion in tax breaks.

links at the source
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 08:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I see racism is still alive and well in the GOP. In Western Europe this sort of behaviour would never be tolerated in a mainstream party. This is the behaviour of far right parties like the BNP and French National Front.

I know you're going to say the offenders were booted out, but they would have been kicked out if they behaved like that at a BNP conference. Nick Griffin is always trying to pretend his party isn't full of racists. What's important is that they felt relaxed enough to behave in a racist manner at that conference, they must have felt that most of the people there sympathised with them to a certain extent.

Quote:
Two attendees at the Republican National Convention were thrown out of the convention center in Tampa on Tuesday after throwing nuts at a black CNN camerawoman and saying, "this is how we feed the animals."

<br /> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/republican-cnn-attack-animal-peanuts-racist_n_1838249.html
revelette

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 08:21 am
Republican National Convention Schedule, Day 4: We Believe We Can Lie

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 09:05 am
@revelette,
"We did bullshit you!"
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 09:28 am
So, the day after, Conservative sites all still have little starbursts in their eyes from how awesome Ryan was.

That's to be expected. Fact checkers, on the other hand, have taken Ryan to task for giving a speech that was full of inaccuracies and lies:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/30/the-true-the-false-and-the-misleading-grading-paul-ryans-convention-speech/

Quote:
“[Obama] created a bipartisan debt commission. They came back with an urgent report,” Ryan stated. “He thanked them, sent them on their way, and then did exactly nothing.” But the bipartisan debt commission itself didn’t come back with a report. There were not enough votes to agree upon recommendations, in part due to opposition from committee member, er, Paul Ryan. The statement misleads viewers by implying that Ryan supports the proposal, when he aggressively opposed it, and by using the third person to avoid noting that Ryan was on the commission and voted no.

---

Incredibly, the larger theme of Ryan’s speech was to assail Obama for failing to take full responsibilities for this state of affairs — Obama is “shifting blame,” “blaming others.” It is the single largest motif of Ryan’s speech. Let’s review: Ryan helps to create a massive structural deficit, repeatedly and almost single-handedly prevents a solution, then runs for vice-president, blaming Obama for the structural deficit and further blaming him for his unwillingness to agree that this is all his own fault. The really amazing thing is that it could possibly work.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 09:44 am
The plant in Janesville closed in 2008 while Bush was still president without Ryan asking for earmarks for the plant to stay open, the year before he did ask for earmarks for highway projects and other projects.

Quote:
Mitt Romney gave his standard stump speech in Janesville recently, with Ryan at his side.

Beckord drove along the perimeter of the abandoned plant, which stretched across more than two hundred acres. He pointed out a wide plain of asphalt, now sprouting weeds, that had once served as a parking lot for thousands of cars. Through 2007, Ryan regularly requested government money for special projects back home. Earmarks grew out of control during the Bush years, but most of what Ryan asked for, and got, was defensible: four hundred thousand dollars for a water-treatment plant; three hundred thousand for a technical college where G.M. workers could be retrained; seven hundred and thirty-five thousand for Janesville’s bus system; and $3.3 million for highway projects throughout Wisconsin. In 2008, however, Ryan vowed not to request earmarks anymore; he later helped push through an outright ban. I asked Beckord whether Ryan’s libertarianism ever clashed with the needs of his constituents. He hesitated, then said, finally, “I suppose there could have been a full-court press to just cobble together as much federal money as possible on our behalf to make it irresistible for G.M. to keep this plant open.”

source

From the same article:

Quote:
As Janesville increasingly becomes a base for the business of distribution logistics, its single most pressing economic concern is good roads. Beckord pointed toward Interstate 90, which runs southeast a hundred miles to Chicago. “From an economic-vitality and economic-development perspective, transportation infrastructure is huge,” he said. Next year, I-90 around Janesville will begin expansion from four lanes to eight. The project, the top issue for the local business community since the G.M. plant closed, will be financed as part of a billion-dollar federal and state highway project. “Paul has been as helpful as he can be to encourage that development,” Beckord said. “But, as you know, he also has a philosophical disconnect with the idea of earmarks.”

We passed a warehouse-like building under construction where several men in hard hats were at work. Beckord explained that it would soon house the Janesville Innovation Center, providing entrepreneurs with commercial space in which to launch their ideas. The money came from a $1.2-million government grant through the Economic Development Administration, one of Obama’s major stimulus programs.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:31 am
A great reader comment on Sully's blog:

Quote:
How can you base an entire convention on one out-of-context quote ("You didn't build that")? This is like a coach telling his team at halftime that their girlfriends are sleeping with the other team - a motivating but big lie.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies