The Republican Convention

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:34 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
There was no disenfranchisement in the Michigan primary. Michigan voters were free to vote in the primary.

Michigan was stripped of DELEGATES to the convention. It's a little difficult to argue that reducing the number of delegates disenfranchised Michigan since the rule was in place before any voting occurred. Michigan could have easily avoided losing delegates by holding it's primary at a later date.

Spare me your word twisting.

I'm voting for Republicans in every single race in every single general election for the rest of my life, and short of another attempt to disenfranchise me, there is nothing you can do about it.

Unless of course you'd like to put Michigan first in a primary, and prevent New Hampshire from voting at all. If you have plans to do that, I'd like to hear about them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:39 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
By the way, if you want to argue that political parties disenfranchise voters when they set internal rules then you would also have to argue that corporations disenfranchise voters when they allow people to vote their shares owned rather than one vote per person.

No, I would not have to argue that. And what the Democrats did was more of a flagrant disregard for internal rules than anything else.

If the Democrats cared about internal rules, they would have halved New Hampshire's voting power when they broke the rules and moved ahead.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:42 pm
@oralloy,
since you are voting repugnant for the rest of your life, I don't think you get a vote on the dem delegates.

of course, that won't stop you from airing your stinky opinions any...
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
since you are voting repugnant for the rest of your life, I don't think you get a vote on the dem delegates.

No. I am still allowed to vote in Democratic primaries. At least, when the Democratic Party is not disenfranchising my state I am.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:59 pm
@oralloy,
how ethical of you...

Rolling Eyes
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 02:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
how ethical of you...

Rolling Eyes

There is nothing unethical about me voting in primaries. Why, are you hoping to disenfranchise me again or something?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 02:26 pm
@oralloy,
for what it's worth, and then I'm done with you...

it's twerps and twits like you and the tea party boobs that are ruining this country.
parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 02:33 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No, I would not have to argue that. And what the Democrats did was more of a flagrant disregard for internal rules than anything else.

Don't let facts get in your way.
At no time did the Democrats allow for any state to hold a primary before New Hampshire. In fact New Hampshire has a law requiring they hold the first primary. The Democrats honored that law.
parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 02:35 pm
@oralloy,
Oh.. so you clearly don't only vote for Republicans. So your earlier statement was just an exaggeration?
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
for what it's worth, and then I'm done with you...

it's twerps and twits like you and the tea party boobs that are ruining this country.

I did hear a scary analysis on TV last night, suggesting that if Romney wins and the Republicans also keep the House and gain the Senate, they will use reconciliation to pass a full repeal of Obama's health care plan. And they will also, as part of the same bill, replace Medicare with a voucher system.

I'm not terribly eager for any of that to happen.

But.... If the Democrats didn't want me to vote for Republicans in every single race for the rest of my life, maybe they should have thought of that before they disenfranchised me.
parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:15 pm
@oralloy,
Actually oralloy, it was you that attempted to disenfranchise Democratic voters when you attempted to dilute their vote by voting in a primary for someone you would never support.
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:24 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Don't let facts get in your way.

Don't worry. Facts are closely allied with me. They would never get in my way.

parados wrote:
At no time did the Democrats allow for any state to hold a primary before New Hampshire. In fact New Hampshire has a law requiring they hold the first primary. The Democrats honored that law.

The rules required a second caucus before New Hampshire.

New Hampshire broke those rules and moved ahead of the second caucus, and the Democrats imposed no penalty on them when they did so.

And this wasn't about preventing New Hampshire from holding the primary early. All the Democrats needed to do was halve their voting power the same way they do with other states that break the rules. This was never a matter of respecting state law or not.
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:30 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Oh.. so you clearly don't only vote for Republicans. So your earlier statement was just an exaggeration?

General elections are when I vote for Republicans. Every single race on the ballot.

The partisan section is easy now, because there is a spot to vote for all Republicans automatically.

Gotta still fill in the non-partisan judicial section of the ballot race-by-race though. And also work out ahead of time which of the judges are allied with the Republicans.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:32 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Actually oralloy, it was you that attempted to disenfranchise Democratic voters when you attempted to dilute their vote by voting in a primary for someone you would never support.

It is sickening when a perpetrator blames the victim for the very crime that they've just inflicted on them.

If I ever waver in my resolve, I'll be sure to remember your post. It will serve as a great reminder why I must keep voting for Republicans in every single race for the rest of my life.
parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:36 pm
@oralloy,
Facts do seem to evade you oralloy

Quote:
As Justice Antonin Scalia recently wrote for a seven-justice Supreme Court majority, "A political party has a First Amendment right to limit is membership as it wishes, and to choose a candidate-selection process that will in its view produce the nominee who best represents its political platform."

You weren't disenfranchised because the Supreme Court said so.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2008/02/whatever_happened_to_one_person_one_vote.html
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:38 pm
@oralloy,
except when you disrupt the democrats primary system...
parados

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:38 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It will serve as a great reminder why I must keep voting for Republicans in every single race for the rest of my life.

Yes, of course.

Until you vote in a Democratic primary again. Then you will not keep your promise.
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 04:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Facts do seem to evade you oralloy

Quote:
As Justice Antonin Scalia recently wrote for a seven-justice Supreme Court majority, "A political party has a First Amendment right to limit is membership as it wishes, and to choose a candidate-selection process that will in its view produce the nominee who best represents its political platform."

You weren't disenfranchised because the Supreme Court said so.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2008/02/whatever_happened_to_one_person_one_vote.html

I'm voting for Republicans in every single race this November, and there is nothing you can do about it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 04:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
except when you disrupt the democrats primary system...

I do not disrupt the Democrats' primary system. The Democrats' efforts to disenfranchise Michigan, however, counts as a disruption.
oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 04:17 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Quote:
It will serve as a great reminder why I must keep voting for Republicans in every single race for the rest of my life.

Yes, of course.

Until you vote in a Democratic primary again. Then you will not keep your promise.

Not at all. The promise is only related to general elections.
0 Replies