We Built This?

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:16 pm
Really? This is a slogan??

This has got to be the most meaningless convention chant ever. It is difficult for me to understand what the heck they are talking about (and I am a political junkie). I kind of get that they see this as an anti-government slogan (which is ironic because the convention is being held in a government funded arena and is filled with SBA recipients) but the "we" in "we built this" could be seen to include the teachers, road builders, police and firefighters. We are in this together is a similar slogan (if we really means "we").

It would be funny if we hear the same slogan chanted at next weeks Democratic convention. It would match the Democratic message as well.

There has to be a better slogan that the thousands of Republican activists could have come up with.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 6,575 • Replies: 111

oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It is difficult for me to understand what the heck they are talking about

It is a response to the pugnacious "You didn't build that!" speech that Barack Obama directed at America's business owners.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:42 pm
@oralloy,
I know what it is a response to. That doesn't change the fact it is a stupid slogan. I can't help but think they could have thought of something better.

Do you honestly think this is a good slogan?
sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 07:01 pm
@maxdancona,
The "we" alone ruins it. That was Obama's point. WE built this, together. Not a single person in a vacuum. We.

For the GOP slogan to work at all, it would have to be "I built this." Which is stupid also, so.... (What is the "this" that these people chanting about building, exactly?)
Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Would you mind saying what slogan you are talking about?
oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't know. I wouldn't even know how to judge it.

I suppose "I like Ike" was better.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
The slogan I am talking about is the title of this thread "We Built This". The entire RNC convention I am watching revolves around that one slogan.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:32 pm
@ossobuco,
it's the title to the thread, osso...

I think it is indicative of the GOP in general.

rather than come up with an original, inspiring piece of verbiage, they went reactionary.

very typical republicanism, and completely lacking in independent or original thinking...

it's just a bonus that it makes little sense, and supports Obama's message.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:38 pm
@maxdancona,
I am not paying any attention, so thanks for the clue.
I watched some very interesting conventions, some years ago.
But I'm not a voter to watch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:44 pm
@Rockhead,
I know it's the title of the thread.

It's true that I read about ten newspapers a day, fast, online, but I missed this bit.

What to say about what they built? I blame them for a great deal.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:45 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
maxdancona wrote:

I don't know. I wouldn't even know how to judge it.

I guess I can see what they were thinking (whether it is good thinking or not, I cannot say).

First, it directly challenges something Obama said.

Second, it helps the Republicans illustrate their support for business.

And third, the focus on business and economics fits with the goal of making the current state of the economy the central theme of the election.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:57 pm
@oralloy,
It isn't a pro-business slogan. It only means something to people Fox news viewers (who are already solidly in Romney's pocket). The person on the street isn't going to be swayed by this slogan, in fact they won't even know what it means. A good slogan is something you can understand without explanation.

"Hope and Change" is a great slogan. Whether you like Obama or hate him, you instantly know what this slogan is talking about. When Republicans yelled "flip flop" at that years convention, any casual observer instantly knew what they meant.

I also think that the fact it is a response to Obama is a bad thing. A good slogan should be talking about core beliefs, not a reference to a line picked out of one of your opponents stump speeches.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 09:03 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
The "we" alone ruins it. That was Obama's point. WE built this, together. Not a single person in a vacuum. We.

For the GOP slogan to work at all, it would have to be "I built this."

I believe the Republican plan will be to present short clips of Obama's speech in a context that makes it appear that he is telling business people that they had nothing to do with their success.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 09:07 pm
@oralloy,
they should put Ms Palin in charge of that.

she's the queen of reactionary shrill comments...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 09:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Pubbies didn't invent this thing, it was handed to them. Your guy (Obunga) basically uttered the stupidest statement ever pronounced by an American politician since the day of the Clovis point, the mammoth, and the saber-tooth cat, and you think Republicans should just forget about it??
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 09:50 pm
@gungasnake,
You miss the point. It is not a good slogan. Even if you think something your opponent said is the "stupidest statement ever pronounced", you still don't have to base your message around your opponents stump speech. If I were a Republican (and I am glad the Republicans don't listen to my sage advice) I would have chosen any of a million better slogans.

This convention is one of the few opportunities to define Romney as a candidate. This slogan does nothing for that goal.

I am glad you like it Gunga, but somehow I don't think your vote is in play. This slogan does very little toward what they need to do to win the winnable votes.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 09:53 pm
I also think it would be funny for the Democrats to have speeches by a teacher, a fireman and a police officer and maybe someone who builds roads or bridges and maybe someone from NASA . Then the crowd of Democrats could hold up signs and chant "We Built This!".

I don't know if this is worth it, I have the feeling the Democrats have a unified message planned that is more important than responding to this silly tangent.

But this kind of response would make me chuckle.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 10:02 pm
@maxdancona,
It really doesn't matter if their message is stupid or not, because it's mostly a show with no real message about Romney and how he plans to govern.

Most of the speakers talked about themselves - maybe 90% of the time, and gave Romney 10%. Just goes to show the republicans are lost in their own bull ****!

Chris Matthews said Christie gave a great speech, but he too spoke about himself and his own family. Sounded like he was preparing to run for the office in 2016.

Christie bragged about balancing his state budget by cutting taxes, but didn't bother to tell us how many public jobs he destroyed. Then he says Obama isn't creating enough jobs. We're talking about police, teachers, and other public servants who lost their jobs, and most governments require to run what's required for their citizens.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:31 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I also think it would be funny for the Democrats to have speeches by a teacher, a fireman and a police officer and maybe someone who builds roads or bridges and maybe someone from NASA ....

You think the guy from NASA could tell the American people about Bork Obunga declaring NASA's primary goal to be helping muslims with their self-esteem issues?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7875584/Barack-Obama-Nasa-must-try-to-make-Muslims-feel-good.html
0 Replies