We Built This?

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 04:14 am
@raprap,
Quote:

Wonder if New Orleans is looking at the new levees this morning and chanting 'We Built this'?

Sorry rap, I wasnt checking this thread last 2 days but I have to highlight your brilliant observation with a reprise.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:25 am
@Joe Nation,
Hingehead claimed the dufe (Obunga) never made the statement ("You didn't build that, somebody else made that happen..."; we've all heard the statement with our own ears.

This is Alley Oop:

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPn6IqpQY7hsfR_SG8rWAmyH0ES_KIzEHVsrLi4GWDFJF89YWrGg

Some politician might have made a statement that stupid in the day of Alley Oop, nobody has since then up to now.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:51 am
@oralloy,
It is a response to the pugnacious "You didn't build that!" speech that Barack Obama directed at America's business owners.

That's not what he said and is completely out of context. But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good slogan.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:51 am
@TimeTravel ,
At least you're honest. Sure you are a Repub ?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:53 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The slogan I am talking about is the title of this thread "We Built This". The entire RNC convention I am watching revolves around that one slogan.

I wonder what the union workers who built the stage they are standing on think of that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:46 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It is a response to the pugnacious "You didn't build that!" speech that Barack Obama directed at America's business owners.

That's not what he said and is completely out of context.

So?

IRFRANK wrote:
But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good slogan.

I'm sure the Republicans will take full advantage of the slogan.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Apparently you are not aware of or chose to ignore that he gave away his inheritance.

So what? George Romney died in 1995. By that time, Mittens was already a multi-millionaire. What his father left him amounted to tip money.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Now I know, you're going to argue that his parents put him through school, but I've heard Obama say that someone put him through school too...just not his parents.

I guess it's somehow a noble to put through school by anonymous benefactors but not by one's parents.

Nobility has nothing to do with it.

Well, on second thought...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:59 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
How far would you have to go back in order to something stupider than this Republican talking point?

Back to the time of the dinosaurs -- approximately 20,000 years ago.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:00 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
This is Alley Oop:

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPn6IqpQY7hsfR_SG8rWAmyH0ES_KIzEHVsrLi4GWDFJF89YWrGg

Some politician might have made a statement that stupid in the day of Alley Oop, nobody has since then up to now.

Somebody tell GungasnaKKKe that Alley Oop isn't a documentary.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:13 am
Romney campaigning on "we built this" is hypercritical since Bain has benefited from government money quite a bit over the years and state funded a clean energy plant while governor of Massachusetts.

Romney Critical of Government Aid That Helped Bain Profit

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 05:07 pm
@revelette,
Guess what?

When we "benefit" from the government, it is because we paid for that benefit with our tax dollars.

The Government is not some independently funded entity doing great things for America, for which we should be thankful.

The Government serves us and not the other way around.

The only question we should ask concerning our government is whether or not we are getting value for money.

The Government can't be charitable or compassionate.

You as an individual can decide that you will sacrifice some measure of your life style to help others, but The Government cannot.

The Government can only sacrifice the life styles of the people who financially support it. There is nothing noble about it doing so whether or not its finders agree.

What would you think about the owner of a company who unilaterally reduced his or her employees' wages so the company could contribute to some cause?

(If the cause was unlimited abortion rights or same sex marriage, Junior Progressives would probably be OK with it... More's the pity)

Chances are great that you would be outraged, and yet you seem to be A-OK with The Government doing the same thing.

We The People don't owe a damned thing to The Government. This is, obviously, something that Junior Progressives can't fathom.

hingehead

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 06:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hmmm. Government is 'of the people, for the people' you can't treat it like something unrelated to you or your country - it's as integral as you are.

If you don't like government move to Somalia, although you might be a bit late - they're trying to return to having governance after two decades of not having any.

Be honest Finn, your real problem is not government, it's who's running it right now. Would you have posted this opinion six years ago?

Government should always be held to account but but dismiss the concept out of hand is delusional.

Quote:
The only question we should ask concerning our government is whether or not we are getting value for money.

I'd agree, but I'm sure you have a very narrow definition of 'value for money'.
revelette

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 09:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your entire post has nothing to do with my post in which you replied to.

Of course I know that government is paid by tax dollars. Sometimes I think your side seems not to know that.

The government can be charitable and compassionate and be efficient at the same time. Of course the government is here to serve us. It pays for our roads and buildings and first responders, our military and public schools and pays to help our citizens when charity alone is not enough. Most private charitable institutions receive government money to function. And of course people should help as individuals as well.

I don't know if companies reduce wages to support a cause, but companies do use company funds to support various causes both left and right causes.

And yes we do owe money for our government or else our government will cease to function and our country would not be one of leaders in today's world.

Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 09:47 am
@hingehead,
finn is incensed that his government makes him help poor people, hinge.

he would rather that those unable to work be left to die so that he can keep all that he has earned by himself without any assistance.

think how mighty a nation we could be without the burden of all those lazy sick folks...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 10:11 pm
@Rockhead,
They have become the simple-minded conservatives (dumbkoffs) who believe in that old refrain; I got mine, go and die by the lack no health care and food. We prefer to spend our wealth to have the strongest military and defense to protect us from the boogy men and women of the world.

These so-called christians and mormons frighten me.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 05:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

This is a ridiculous statement. And the rest of your statements seem to be based on it.

I ask a lot more of my government. I care about what kind of country I live in, and government has a big impact on our society and our lives from it's ability to make laws concerning my behavior, to its unique ability for grand public projects.

Qwerty-up

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 04:42 pm
@maxdancona,
All of you need to step back for a moment and think about the difference between the Federal Government and your State Governments. Many of the things that have been mandated by the Federal Government in this and the previous century, should have been considered and decided on (yea or nay)by the states individually (usually by a vote of their citizenry). This is the biggest issue I personally have with the problems we are dealing with now. Amendment X of the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1791 states, "The powers not delegated to the United State by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Think about all the rules, laws, and regulations, that are currently mandated by the Federal Government that should have been a state issue. Health care comes to mind. This is why I have no problem with "Romney-Care" but have a big issue with "Obama-Care"; and this is only one example.
hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 06:58 pm
@Qwerty-up,
It's an interesting point - the federal/state balance, I think what you want is in the wrong direction. The Daily Show made the point that some states are a drain on federal coffers and others give more than they get.

As an outsider I'm appalled at US school funding (not that I'm a disciple of ours), but to suggest basic healthcare is solely a state responsibility makes me wonder why you think there is a USA at all? What basic things should all citizens have equal access to? Apart from being equally free to be cannon fodder.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 08:10 pm
@Qwerty-up,
Quote:
Many of the things that have been mandated by the Federal Government in this and the previous century, should have been considered and decided on (yea or nay)by the states individually (usually by a vote of their citizenry).

You mean letting black people eat at restaurants, keeping ten year olds from losing fingers working in factories and giving women the right to vote?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 11:00 pm
@hingehead,
It goes to show some people will never get it, because Romney-care and Obama-care are based on the same principle. I guess once brain-washed,,there's no cure.
0 Replies