Faux news has dumbed down the GOP.

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 04:28 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
First, it directly challenges something Obama said
As usual it was a complete misrepreentation of what Obama actually said, ad as such is another lame attempt by the GOP to become at least tangentail with reality.

raprap

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:08 am
@farmerman,
Wonder if New Orleans is looking at the new levees this morning and chanting 'We Built this'?

Rap
McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 06:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Really? This is a slogan??

This has got to be the most meaningless convention chant ever. It is difficult for me to understand what the heck they are talking about (and I am a political junkie). I kind of get that they see this as an anti-government slogan (which is ironic because the convention is being held in a government funded arena and is filled with SBA recipients) but the "we" in "we built this" could be seen to include the teachers, road builders, police and firefighters. We are in this together is a similar slogan (if we really means "we").

It would be funny if we hear the same slogan chanted at next weeks Democratic convention. It would match the Democratic message as well.

There has to be a better slogan that the thousands of Republican activists could have come up with.

Why is it difficult to understand? I know you guys of the liberal persuasion (nttiawwt) have a hard time grasping the thought that the government didn't actually build everything, but it is a fine slogan to represent this years fight against Obama.

Do you think that there are not firefighters, police officers, teachers and others that are also Republican? Or is it that ironic as well?

Consider who actually built most of the infrastructure... (Hint: It wasn't actually the govt.) Who built the communications infrastructure? Who built the gas pipelines? Who actually built the roads? All were built by private businesses. Even most of the stuff that the Govt could actually be credited for building were most likely built by private businesses under govt contract. And finally, where does the govt get the funding for such building projects? Taxes. Who pays taxes? Private businesses and people that bring home enough money to pay taxes. Then there are the other incidental taxes like the gasoline tax and sales tax that fund local govt. They use that money to then pay private companies to do work for them.

So, who built this? We did. The American citizen.
raprap

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 06:51 am
@McGentrix,
Aren't you quoting what Obama really said and not the latest GOP bumper sticker?

Rap
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 07:03 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix,

I get it. I am not arguing the point. I am saying that as a matter of political strategy the slogan is terrible. It doesn't get the point across on its own. Rather than putting forward a new vision, it is a response to their opponent. Worst of all, it needs all those words to explain it.

A good slogan is short, clear and easy to understand with no explanation by people who aren't following the campaign.

Taking an opponent's words out of context to build a strawman is common in politics. Both sides do it. You can see examples of this all the time in sites like Redstate and DailyKos.

But it is a form of political masturbation. It makes you feel good and tingly for a while, but it does very little to build the relationship you want with the American voters. And, it certainly isn't something you want to do on prime time TV with a national audience.

Speaking purely from the view of political strategy, I feel the Republicans have squandered a great chance to define themselves as a party. Instead they are spending their time responding to a single speech from their opponent in a way that requires hundreds of words to explain it.

I think the GOP is going blind.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 07:24 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

we, the American citizen.

Shocked

Terrific grammar.

"We, the American citizens" is what you're* trying to avoid - since it was the crux of what Mr. Obama said.

* the non-Democratic voting you, not the individual McG you
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 07:44 am
Oh.

It looks like We Built this was only the slogan for the first day. The slogan for today is "We Can Change It". Which leads to the question, if we built it then why do we want to change it.

Actually it is kind of nice. They have come up with a Hopeful slogan of Change. If only there were some way they could make these two ideas of "Hope" and "Change" into a slogan that was a little more powerful and concise.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:41 am
@maxdancona,
But we all know they're all lying! And look at all the voters who believe them.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:44 am
@McGentrix,
McG, The government built the roads, bridges, and infrastructure without which no business can operate. They funded the schools we attended. They were funded by taxes.

Conservatives believe they did all that on their own. How ignorant!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:49 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:

Consider who actually built most of the infrastructure... (Hint: It wasn't actually the govt.) Who built the communications infrastructure? Who built the gas pipelines? Who actually built the roads? All were built by private businesses. Even most of the stuff that the Govt could actually be credited for building were most likely built by private businesses under govt contract. And finally, where does the govt get the funding for such building projects? Taxes. Who pays taxes? Private businesses and people that bring home enough money to pay taxes. Then there are the other incidental taxes like the gasoline tax and sales tax that fund local govt. They use that money to then pay private companies to do work for them.

This is the exact argument Obama was making. Hilarious.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Yea, Americans built it paid for by taxes. Who's going to pay for the upkeep of our infrastructure and our schools if the GOP keeps cutting taxes?

Maybe a miracle will happen, and god will send us some money. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm going to repeat the whole thing because it's EXACTLY what Obama said. He never said it was government. He said, if you built a business, you didn't build in a vacuum, you built upon what had been built before BY OTHERS.
Quote:

@McGentrix,
Quote:

Quote:

This is the exact argument Obama was making. Hilarious.

Cycloptichorn

Joe(What is the densest material on earth?)Nation
sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:18 am
@Joe Nation,
Here's Obama's whole quote -- just for comparison (yes, McGentrix's version is a nice paraphrase):

Quote:
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president – because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:09 am
Convention Theme Contradicted By Publicly Financed Site
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:13 am
Quote:
You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

Joe(We want you to build on what we built)Nation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:48 am
@revelette,
Just another "blind spot" for the conservatives. They always seem to put their foot in their mouth without realizing they have an object sticking out from their mouth. Mr. Green

The unfortunate truth about all this is that most conservatives are ignorant on these facts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:48 am
@revelette,
Just another "blind spot" for the conservatives. They always seem to put their foot in their mouth without realizing they have an object sticking out from their mouth. Mr. Green

The unfortunate truth about all this is that most conservatives are ignorant on these facts.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
Thanks MC G. I wasent sure what Obama meant until you explained it to me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:43 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Pubbies didn't invent this thing, it was handed to them. Your guy (Obunga) basically uttered the stupidest statement ever pronounced by an American politician since the day of the Clovis point, the mammoth, and the saber-tooth cat

Or, by your reckoning, about 2000 years.