2016 moving to #1 spot

Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:03 pm
Just to look at this another way...................as a feminist I despise Romney/Ryan's stand on many women's issues. I think that it could cause women a lot of harm.

Cycloptichorn- By your way of looking at things, could it be that I feel this way because Romney is a Mormon? Or maybe because he is white.

Anyway, IMO it is a matter of priorities. I think that nowadays our two most important priorities in the U.S. is the economy and defense. And I think that Romney could do a much better job of it. So I will hold my nose, and vote for the man.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You say "quasi-racist;" I say "xenophobic."

It's not necessarily his race, or birthplace, or upbringing, or past associations... but put it all together and people get a sense of someone being "too different."
Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:14 pm
@DrewDad,
I think that you are on the right track, but IMO xenophobic is too strong a word, as it implies an irrational evaluation of a person.

In the words of D'Sousa, Obama is an American, but he is not of America. I don't think that it is unreasonable for a citizen to want his President to have complete loyalty to America, and to want to work to keep his country strong.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

It's not necessarily his race, or birthplace, or upbringing, or past associations... but put it all together and people get a sense of someone being "too different."
From the TIME's film critic
Quote:
And if there’s one job Barack Obama is qualified for, it’s to be the black-and-white doll that his detractors can stick pins in — believing that, by doing so, they can exorcise the smiling Satan that captured America in 2008, and could unleash Hell on Earth by 2016.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:30 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I think that you are on the right track, but IMO xenophobic is too strong a word, as it implies an irrational evaluation of a person.

That's exactly what I meant to convey.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
In the words of D'Sousa, Obama is an American, but he is not of America.

That would be the irrational part. The guy who works his ass off, builds himself up from a middle-class upbringing to become a senator and then President... is "not of America?"

lulz.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't think that it is unreasonable for a citizen to want his President to have complete loyalty to America, and to want to work to keep his country strong.[/b][/color]

...and fearing that Obama secretly harbors hatred for America and is trying to bring it down from within is completely rational.

Sheesh. You've seen The Manchurian Candidate too many times.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:34 pm
@DrewDad,
What's really funny is that D'Souza spent his first 17 years living abroad - in India. How is this guy qualified to say that Obama is the one with a 'non-American perspective?' Laughing

Where are those questioning whether or not D'Souza is American enough, based on his biography? Or, is an 'American perspective' defined by being sufficiently conservative? I suspect that this is indeed the methodology being displayed by posters here at A2K.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:36 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

In the words of D'Sousa, Obama is an American, but he is not of America. I don't think that it is unreasonable for a citizen to want his President to have complete loyalty to America, and to want to work to keep his country strong.

There's not a single bit of evidence - not one - that Obama is anything but 'completely loyal' to America, or has ever done anything but work to keep his country strong.

Cycloptichorn
Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:37 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh, we could argue this ad nauseum. As I have said before, if he is elected, I want to continue this discussion in 2016. If I am wrong, AND I HOPE THAT I AM, I will be the first to admit it.

Oh, and the 1st Manchurian Candidate (with Laurence Harvey) is one of my favorite movies! Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's the same old "he's not a real American!" argument that crops up every single election year.

You'd think that people would get sick of hearing it. Or at least sick of giving their money to hear the same damn thing.
DrewDad

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:55 pm
@DrewDad,
D'Souza: McCarthyism rewarmed.

"I have here in my hand a list of two hundred and five people that were known to the Secretary of State as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping the policy of the State Department."

Joseph R. McCarthy

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You don't hear them saying that about Arnold Schwartzenager or Ted Cruz.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:08 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
D'Sousa postulates that Obama would like to "even the playing field" by weakening the country with regards to the rest of the world.

How the hell else is anybody supposed to interpret Obunga refusing to allow U.S. drilling in the gulf while providing funds for Mexico and Brazil do drill in the gulf? D'Souza has provided a professional analysis of what many people have been wondering for the last three years i.e. what could possibly be motivating any of these activities if not an outright plan to take this country down?
parados

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I don't think that it is unreasonable for a citizen to want his President to have complete loyalty to America, and to want to work to keep his country strong.

Unless it's a businessman that works to undermine his country by sending jobs overseas and parking his money in off shore accounts to avoid taxes. Then it's OK?
gungasnake

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
...we say that the comments you are making seem to stem from a quasi-racist feeling you have inside about the man. ...

In theory at least it should be possible to be black without being a Stalinist. There're at least a couple dozen black people in this land who I'd be perfectly happy to have in the whitehouse; Bork Obunga plainly is not one of them.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:17 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
I don't think that it is unreasonable for a citizen to want his President to have complete loyalty to America, and to want to work to keep his country strong.

Unless it's a businessman that works to undermine his country by sending jobs overseas and parking his money in off shore accounts to avoid taxes. Then it's OK?

Now that, sir, is an excellent point.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:19 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
How the hell else is anybody supposed to interpret Obunga refusing to allow U.S. drilling in the gulf while providing funds for Mexico and Brazil do drill in the gulf?

I interpret as gungasnake being so out of reality that he makes up facts that aren't true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/business/deepwater-oil-drilling-accelerates-as-bp-disaster-fades.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.bsee.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Permits/Status-of-Gulf-of-Mexico-Well-Permits.aspx

http://www.ihs.com/products/oil-gas-information/drilling-data/weekly-rig-count.aspx
Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:20 pm
@gungasnake,
I would have very happy if Romney would have picked Condoleeza Rice as his V.P........certainly better than Ryan. He's too old now, but Colin Powell would have made a wonderful president.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:22 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I would have very happy if Romney would have picked Condoleeza Rice as his V.P........certainly better than Ryan. He's too old now, but Colin Powell would have made a wonderful president.

Condi is pro-choice - The GOP never would have allowed such a VP pick.

Colin Powell was betrayed by the GOP machine and would probably eat glass before re-involving himself with any of them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:23 pm
@parados,
Not only that, but I'm pretty sure Petrobras uses the sort of safety machinery that would have prevented the Deepwater Horizon disaster - safety equipment that the US oil drilling industry has successfully lobbied to keep from being required.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:46 pm
@parados,
Quote:

Quote:

As a businessman, a person's loyalty is to his company, and his stockholders. It is in his best interests to arrange his business so as to maximize profits. If that means outsourcing, so be it. He is not running a charity.

As far as "avoiding taxes", IMO there is nothing wrong with that. As long as the person is doing nothing illegal, more power to him. I think that most people have legal ways to avoid taxes, although not on the level that Romney has.

As a president though, his priorities must change. His role in the world has changed, and he must think and act differently than as a businessman in order to be an effective President.

I have a personal story that brought the issue of priorities home to me. I once worked as a supervisor of a large program. I never could understand some of the decisions that my boss, (whom I adored) made.

She left, and I took over her job as Director. All of a sudden, her decisions made perfect sense to me.