2016 moving to #1 spot

Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:02 pm
Quote:
Obama has had over three years to implement his anti-neo-colonialism policies. What has he actually done?

Pushed through the auto bailout?

Health care reform?

Well, for starters, he is attempting to make American citizens more and more dependent upon government largesse.

Also, remember the time that he was speaking with Russian President Medvedev, and he did not know that the mike was on? At that time, he spoke about "increased flexibility" with missle defense AFTER the election, when he no longer has to be concerned about staying in office.
McGentrix

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Of course you do.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:04 pm
@McGentrix,
I updated my post to include an additional paragraph detailing more reasons why I believe this - the long and the short of it is that most of you anti-Obamites have zero ******* clue about policy whatsoever and are clearly basing your dislike of the guy on something else.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Well, for starters, he is attempting to make American citizens more and more dependent upon government largesse.

In what way?

Quote:
Also, remember the time that he was speaking with Russian President Medvedev, and he did not know that the mike was on? At that time, he spoke about "increased flexibility" with missle defense AFTER the election, when he no longer has to be concerned about staying in office.

The entire idea of a 'missile defense shield' against Russia is such a stupid joke... it's **** like this that I'm talking about. Do you even know the first thing about the missile defenses in question, the politics of the region, their effectiveness, or the arguments against maintaining them (at great expense)? If so, I've certainly never seen any proof of it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I would not care if Obama was bright green. His color has nothing to do with anything. The problem is, that Americans have taken the concept of "political correctness" much too far.

Apparently, according to the p.c. crowd, anything negative that someone says about a black person, is, by definition, racist. That is a crock.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:13 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I would not care if Obama was bright green. His color has nothing to do with anything.

Right, it's your detailed and complex analysis of the effects of his policies that causes you to be against him? Pull the other one Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Apparently, according to the p.c. crowd, anything negative that someone says about a black person, is, by definition, racist. That is a crock.

Actually, nobody at all said that. Instead - at least in my case - we say that the comments you are making seem to stem from a quasi-racist feeling you have inside about the man.

Many people who have inherently racist attitudes and beliefs have convinced themselves that they aren't racists and often come up with implausible defenses of their prejudices. You aren't required to admit it for it to be true.

Cycloptichorn
Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I have long maintained that the Birther issue (which D'Souza was a major proponent of)and the 'Obama's a Muslim!' attack are both examples of this.

Strange- According to D'Sousa's book and movie, he is very clear that he believes that Obama was born in Hawaii, and mentions that the announcement of his birth was published in two Hawaiian newspapers.
Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Instead - at least in my case - we say that the comments you are making seem to stem from a quasi-racist feeling you have inside about the man.

I don't think that you have the foggiest idea about how I feel inside.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:20 pm
@Phoenix32890,
According to D'Szousa, Obama is an intellectual birther, "a guy who possesses a Third World anti-American view, an ideology as remote and unrecognizable to most Americans as the capital of Kenya or Indonesia".
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
Instead - at least in my case - we say that the comments you are making seem to stem from a quasi-racist feeling you have inside about the man.

I don't think that you have the foggiest idea about how I feel inside.

All I can know about how you feel inside - all anyone can know about how someone else feels - is interpolated via what you decide to write or say. And I haven't seen a single iota of evidence that your anti-Obama feelings are based in anything rational, because you clearly haven't researched any of the issues you purportedly disagree with him on at all. At least, you haven't given us any evidence here that you have.

Do you disagree with that assessment? Did you decide not to like the guy because you were told to, or because you actually have done any research at all on the things he supports vs. what his opponents support?

Cycloptichorn
Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter-I had not read that, but that sounds about right.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyc, have you read the book or seen the movie?
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:23 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Cyc, have you read the book or seen the movie?

I read his book in 2010, haven't and won't see the movie based on that.

His book was nothing but false assertions, factual inaccuracies, and rank invective, based on 2 things: one, his pronounced Islamaphobia, and two, his desire to remain on wingnut welfare.

A question: do you disagree with my above assessment, that most online commentators who are against Obama - and clearly those here at A2K - are basing their dislike of the man on something other than in-depth analysis of the policies he supports? If you do disagree, where is the evidence of that analysis in the discussions these people start?

Cycloptichorn
Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Why not? Are you concerned that you might have to modify some long held ideas? It seems to me that a person who really wants to know what is going on, would want to hear all sides.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:33 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Why not? Are you concerned that you might have to modify some long held ideas? It seems to me that a person who really wants to know what is going on, would want to hear all sides.

For a couple of reasons:

1, I don't believe the author of the movie is someone who is worth my intellectual respect. I've been underwhelmed by his arguments in the past, which mix bigotry (mostly against Muslims) with factual inaccuracy in order to provide arguments supportive to pre-existing conclusions.

2, Based on that, why would I give the guy money by paying to see a movie which only repeats arguments that have already been offered by him, and disproven by a wide variety of actual historians and political observers?

3, I don't consider a movie to be an effective method for transmitting this sort of information, anyway. If D'Souza has something interesting to say, I'm sure he'll write about it in his column or write a book about it. Movies of this nature - no matter who makes them - are really nothing more than propaganda pieces, with scary music and edited quotes and clips used to present a fundamentally different view of reality than what outside observers would have noted.

I'm going to ask you again: does your opposition to Obama stem from an in-depth review of his policies, and the formation of arguments against them? Or from somewhere else entirely? If you want people to believe it's the first, and not the second, perhaps you should consider elucidating your opposition to his policies in greater depth, rather than simply smearing the man or repeating one-liners.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Evidence: Every post I have made critiquing Obama. I have never considered the color of his skin, only the content of his character. Do you really think my criticism of Obama is based on some sort of racism, or do you think I would not hold the same, exact, positions I do were Obama white and named Gore?

Obama's color is far over used by his supporters. Let me ask you a question, why do 99% of blacks in America support Obama? Think it's because of their in-depth analysis of his policies?
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:40 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I have never considered the color of his skin, only the content of his character.

How do you know the content of his character? As Phoenix said, you have no idea whatsoever what the man's inner thoughts and feelings are. So, how do you make that judgement?

We can only look at his actions, words and policies to do so. My question to you was whether or not you think people are basing their opposition to him on these things. The answer is clearly no, they are not - you don't even defend the idea that his policies and their effects are the basis for your opposition, instead falling back on the nebulous metric of 'his character.'

There's nothing about that that provides evidence that your opposition to the man stems from a logical place, and not an emotional one. The question I asked was: where is the evidence of the analytical basis for opposition to the man? You didn't provide it, because 'character' judgements are not analytical, but emotional.

Quote:
Obama's color is far over used by his supporters. Let me ask you a question, why do 99% of blacks in America support Obama? Think it's because of their in-depth analysis of his policies?

The clear and easy answer here is tribalism based on skin color. What, do you think it's a one-way street? Neither I nor any other Dem supporter here has contended that it's Obama's policies that drive support for him amongst the black community.

The most you could argue in that respect is that minorities in America seem to feel that he understands their issues far better than white Republicans do - and they are probably right to think that. After all, the GOP hasn't been very friendly to minorities for, oh, my entire life.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I don't consider a movie to be a respectable method for transmitting this sort of information, anyway. If D'Souza has something interesting to say, I'm sure he'll write about it in his column or write a book about it. Movies of this nature - no matter who makes them - are really nothing more than propaganda pieces, with scary music and edited quotes and clips used to present a fundamentally different view of reality than what outside observers would have noted.

I definitely agree with you that the movie is propaganda, as is much of media reporting. For awhile, I was in a very interesting position. I was subscribed to both the conservative and liberal papers in town.

I found it absolutely fascinating to observe how the same story was reported in each of the two papers. Sometimes, you would never think that the reporters were writing about the same thing.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:57 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks for the response, but - I'd really like an answer to this question:

Does your opposition to Obama stem from an in-depth review of his policies, and the formation of arguments against them? Or from somewhere else entirely?

I believe the answer is critical to understanding the reasons you are against the guy.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:00 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Details?

Actually, I'm pretty dependent on "government largesse" in the form of roads, military defense, federally regulated banks, etc.

It's funny to me that initiatives one's own side supports are "necessary government programs" but that initiatives supported by the other side are "government largesse."

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Also, remember the time that he was speaking with Russian President Medvedev, and he did not know that the mike was on? At that time, he spoke about "increased flexibility" with missle defense AFTER the election, when he no longer has to be concerned about staying in office.[/b][/color]

Right... because "increased flexibility" is code for "I'm a fifth columnist inside my own government."

Conspiracy theories are always popular....
0 Replies