Armstrong to be Stripped of all 7 Titles

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:26 pm
@Joe Nation,
I read a convincing article against Armstrong probably in the early 2000's, going on at length about stuff in the 90's, just guessing it was in the New Yorker. I had already somehow (I forget why) not taken a shine to him. Maybe it was about the testicular cancer. A friend of friends had that in the seventies; he was an emergency room doctor. He rallied and carried on with life. No books that I know of.

So I've long not paid attention to the wonderful Armstrong. I even sort of like cycling as a sport I slightly followed back when I had cable tv, still think it's a rather beautiful competition at best.

I guess I'm a purist. Eat right, train right. Don't use enhancers. What is the point of using an enhancer to win over others who aren't? So childish.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
What is the point of using an enhancer to win over others who aren't

was there anyone in the "aren't" camp? I am not making that assumption.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Neither am I at this point.

Blue, if he had such great lung capacity (I remember that about at least one other athlete, but there may be many I don't know about), then why kick it up with stuff?

If EPO was actually recommended for someone who had been through rads (a lot of us have been through rads), I could see confusion re that. Frowns, rolls eyes.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:40 pm
@ossobuco,
i am with u that a decade ago anyone with half a brain knew that Armstrong was cheating.

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 11:02 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Neither am I at this point.

Blue, if he had such great lung capacity (I remember that about at least one other athlete, but there may be many I don't know about), then why kick it up with stuff?

He was keeping even with his rivals who also doped. The handful of guys who could win the Tour de France all have similar physical capacities.

Quote:
If EPO was actually recommended for someone who had been through rads (a lot of us have been through rads), I could see confusion re that. Frowns, rolls eyes.

Armstrong wasn't competing while he being treated for cancer. He came back after it was in complete remission.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 11:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
As I thought.
I'm only barely paying attention, sorry.
I think I'll be quiet and listen.

Or maybe not, hard to be quiet - so his use of EPO would not be excusable on the poor sickie point of view?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 12:01 am
@InfraBlue,
Ah.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:26 am
I can't find the quote, but yesterday NPR was reporting that Armstrong's lawyer had made a statement to the effect of : " Hey, if a tenth of the stuff in that report were true, Federal Prosecutors would have already indicted Lance, his team manager and several others. They haven't. ' nuff said."

To which the former US Attorney who they were interviewing replied "I wouldn't, if I were them, poke the bear."

What do you think? There has to have been criminal acts committed by this group of conspirators. The extralegal body UAC, IAC, IACUSA whatever, has no standing to give fifth amendment protections to any of the guys who handed in an affidavit detailing the extent of the subterfuge. What preventing the Justice Department from looking for violations of the Drug Laws and the conspiracy to gain from illegal activities. (like a RICO ?) ??

This was an incredible rip-off of sponsors, the Tours and anybody else who now must deal with the aftermath of this criminal scandal.

No one is going to pay fines or go to jail?

Lance (and others) get to keep millions.

Lost the titles?

Joe(BFD)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:58 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
This was an incredible rip-off of sponsors

I heard something on the radio (last night or extraordinarily early this morning) about sponsors considering lawsuits. Also, the newspaper (British?) that lost in a libel case against him is apparently considering going after him to get the money back.

There was also a piece on the radio about magazines that were threatened by a couple of Armstrong's sponsors years ago - advertising would be pulled from all magazines within a publishing group if there was any coverage of the suspicions re Armstrong and doping.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:02 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

BillRM wrote:

The little fact that the man pass the hundreds of drugs tests given to him over the years should carry one hell of a lot of wieght.

He has now failed those tests as the samples have been retested with new techniques.

There's no way of ensuring that the blood samples were, in fact, unaltered during that entire time. I don't find the case against Lance to be all that persuasive - I highly doubt it would hold up in court.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:03 am
@Joe Nation,
UCI?

Every time I see that I wonder what UC Irvine has to do with all this, then remember that's not what UCI means in this situation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I don't find the case against Lance to be all that persuasive - I highly doubt it would hold up in court.

given the number of lawsuits that seem to be heading his way, we may well find out
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:45 am
@Joe Nation,
You need to prove your case beyond a reasonable doubt in a US criminal court and for example those blood samples is likely not to come into it unless there is an iron tight decade long chain of custody.

Second no matter what the man is still though of highly be many and all you need is one juror to have a hung jury.

In a civil trial there might be a chance of a conviction however you still have a lot of problems including the chain or custody of the blood samples and the people who would likely to testify again Armstrong have large problems of credibility themselves.
hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 02:54 am
Adam hills says

Quote:

I still support Lance Armstrong's charities, only now I pull the wristband to the top of my forearm and tap my veins. It seems appropriate.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 09:12 am
@hingehead,
Snap!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 01:12 pm
Quote:
The Board of Trustees at Tufts University unanimously voted to rescind the honorary degree it
conferred upon Lance Armstrong at a graduation commencement in 2006, a university spokes-
person said Wednesday.

"While continuing to respect the significant work of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, the board
concluded that, in the wake of the recent report of the United States Anti-Doping Agency and its
acceptance by the International Cycling Union, Mr. Armstrong's actions as an athlete are inconsist-
ent with the values of the University," said Kimberly Thurler, director of public relations at Tufts
in a statement.

Tufts is the latest organization to distance itself from the cyclist who was stripped of his seven
Tour de France titles. Armstrong refused to cooperate with the U.S. Anti-doping agency investi-
gating evidence of performance-enhancing drugs.

Earlier this month, Armstrong's cancer charity formally dropped his name to be known formally
as the Livestrong Foundation. Previously, Armstrong resigned from the charity's board of directors
and stepped down as chairman.
(today's Globe)
BillRM

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 01:24 pm
@Region Philbis,
Wonderful Tufts University wished the benefits of having the man accepted an honorary degree during a commencement in 2006 and now somehow consider it somehow appropriate to removed the degree.

Not a high class thing to do in my opinion and at least they could do is paid him his normal speaker fee that would I bet he waiver due to the degree in 2006.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 05:19 pm
@BillRM,

they have a hell of a lot more class than the king of cheating, lance armstrong.

(they also have a lot of classes, but that's besides the point...)
BillRM

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 05:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
Sorry the deal was that in 2006 he came and gave the key note speak and got an honorary degree in return so where is their right six years later to take the degree back?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:31 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Sorry the deal was that in 2006 he came and gave the key note speak and got an honorary degree in return so where is their right six years later to take the degree back?

likewise where is the right for the NCAA to pretend that over 100 Penn St games never happened? We moderns think that we can take back gifts and rewrite history, and then we have the audacity to give speeches about how moral we are, how much better people we are then were those who walked this earth before us. we are witnessing the triumph of fantasy over reality. the delusions will not hold though, they never do, and the readjustment to reality will be mighty painful. reality will always refuse to conform the the demands of our will.