Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

joefromchicago

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 03:56 pm
@JPB,
Keep in mind that the people who are calling the loudest for Akin to get out of the race are the people who probably didn't want him in the race to begin with. Akin ran as an outsider and a teabagger, and so he likely doesn't feel particularly beholden to the GOP establishment right about now. The independent PACs, like Crossroads, on the other hand, represent some serious money that Akin really needs right now. If they pull their support, Akin may be forced to drop out.
Lustig Andrei

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 03:59 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Yes I do, but unfortunately there is no sarcasm bottom to let people know when someone is being sarcastic.

Fair enough. I just thought that anyone who knows Setanta -- and you've been around for quite a while -- would never take a statement like that from him as anything other than sarcasm.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 05:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
Serious money beats competance every time.
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:01 pm
Its really not a surprise these christian republicans in some sick way think rape is ok...because in every way thats the message that people like Huckabee and Akin send out...as good ole hetero white boys...telling women what rape is...wow...and then using a vulnerable moment to showcase adult children of rapes that he thinks are extraordinary...as if to tell women...keep your damaged, dirty, violent, possibly infected with std's, possibly deranged gene pool...offspring of the man who just raped you...because there is a small chance they will turn out to be notable if they survive the torture that could be bestowed upon them as a child of rape...this is about a violent attack and a women's right to choose what she will do next...not about the unique mother who can move past it and bring up a healthy loved child in a world that doesn't celebrate children of rape...any women who can do that is very special...and should be insulted this is being used to in some way use this as a abortion wedge issue...
mysteryman

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:19 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
NOBODY thinks rape is ok, and you are a very sick person to even suggest that.
Rockhead

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:20 pm
@mysteryman,
you mean "legitimate rape", of course...
mysteryman

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:32 pm
@Rockhead,
There is no such thing as "legitimate rape", and you know that. Why are you trying so hard to put words in my mouth?
Rockhead

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:34 pm
@mysteryman,
I'm really not trying very hard.

nor am I the one defending the clown that uttered the phrase...
mysteryman

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:38 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm not defending him either, and I defy you to show one post from me anywhere where I have defended him.

But I will say this again, and even highlight it so you can see it...
ALL RAPE IS BAD, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LEGITIMATE RAPE, AND I AM NOT DEFENDING THE IDIOTIC STATEMENTS FROM THIS CANDIDATE.

Is that clear to you now?
Rockhead

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:42 pm
@mysteryman,
you don't have to yell at me.

I'm much more incensed by your proposal to tax the poor folks to stimulate the economy...
mysteryman

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:44 pm
@Rockhead,
And you missed my response to that. I said we tax everybody. And I also said that we cut spending by $1.50 for every $1 raised in new taxes. Funny how you ignored that part.
Rockhead

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:45 pm
@mysteryman,
starting with the poor folks that have been riding on our coat tails...

I don't see much funny here, personally.

I see a grudge of some sort based on something other than financial sensibility...
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:58 am
@mysteryman,
Maybe you can explain legitimate rape?
hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:08 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Maybe you can explain legitimate rape?

aka "rape-rape", sexual violation of another by force.......not to be confused with "rape" which is erotic action that was not preceded with the level of consent demanded by the state, or which took place when one of the actors was after the act denied the right to be sexual by the state. Legitimate rape and rape-rape point to the old definition of rape, the meaning it held before the feminists massively expanded the definition and thus largely ruined what was a perfectly constructed and useful word.
hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:20 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

NOBODY thinks rape is ok, and you are a very sick person to even suggest that.

i think a lot of what the feminists want to call rape is perfectly normal and acceptable human behavior, so not so fast there buddy boy.
hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
A poll conducted and released on Monday found that U.S. Rep. Todd Akin, who's under fire for his comments about "legitimate rape," still has an edge over Democratic incumbent Claire McCaskill in Missouri's Senate race.
Public Policy Polling, a North Carolina-based Democratic polling firm, has Akin leading McCaskill by one point, 44 percent to 43 percent. That's not much different from PPP's last poll of the race, which also found Akin ahead by one point, 45 percent to 44 percent.
But Akin's sustained lead doesn't mean Missouri voters agree with what the Republican candidate said. The poll found that 75 percent say Akin's comments were inappropriate, and 79 percent say they disagree with them.
In releasing the results, PPP concluded that "GOP voters dislike McCaskill so much they're not going to vote for her no matter what their nominee does."
"This looks like it will be a closely contested race if Akin stays in," PPP President Dean Debnam said in a statement that came with the poll results.
Akin apologized for his comments on Monday but vowed to stay in the race in the face of criticism from his own party and some calls for him to quit, saying on Mike Huckabee's radio show "I'm not a quitter" and taking to Twitter to say that he's "in this race to win."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/poll-akin-still-leads-mccaskill-legitimate-rape-035547245.html

now is a pretty good time to stand up to the party bosses and refuse to follow their instructions.
hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
But for all of that the overall numbers in the race have moved very little. When we polled in May McCaskill was getting only 8% of the Republican vote, and even with the controversy around Akin she's only pushed up to 10% of it. GOP voters dislike McCaskill so much they're not going to vote for her no matter what their nominee does. Independent voters haven't moved at all either. In May they supported Akin 45-41, and even though they don't like him on tonight's poll we still found him leading 45-41 with them

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/08/akin-44-mccaskill-43.html#more

A tempest in a teapot it seems we have here.
Joe Nation

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:05 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
And you missed my response to that. I said we tax everybody. And I also said that we cut spending by $1.50 for every $1 raised in new taxes.

So you are a Democrat. The Republicans have already turned down a proposal to cut TEN dollars of spending for every $1 in new taxes.

That's how idiotic the Tea Party Republicans and Norquist Pledgers (Romney is one, you know and so is Ryan.) have become.

You are trying to be reasonable, that's commendable, but you don't fit in the GOP anymore.

Joe(Welcome home.)Nation
Joe Nation

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Goodie. Keep thinking that, Hawk.....nothing like jumping on the results of a poll about an issue that is two days old.

Joe(way to go)Nation
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:52 am
@Joe Nation,
The one thing you do not do is stop pumping money into an economic that is in a down turn.

That was one of the reasons the Great Depression last as long as it did as the GOP force Roosevelt to slow the government spending a few years into the depression.

Only when the demands of WW2 open government spendings and the hell with the national debt did the GD came to an end.
0 Replies