Any takers of CoQ10 here?

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 04:36 pm
All my neighbors were talking about this supplement the other day, saying how wonderful it is. They were insisting that I try it. It's kind of expensive though so I'd like to hear from a larger sample before heading off to the store.

(I've already read the literature on who shouldn't take it and what the possible side effects are.)

Anybody?

roger

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
@boomerang,
I don't. Who can afford to take advantage of every promise when they still haven't decided if coffee is a natural cure or deadly brew?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:50 pm
@boomerang,
Yes.

I was prescribed a statin for high cholesterol and almost had to stop taking it because of the side effects (muscle pain). I think it was hawkeye who mentioned it as a way to alleviate the side effects. I tried it and it worked wonderfully for that and lowered my bp enough to come off of my bp meds. Now I'm off the statin and the bp meds but I still take the CoQ10.
JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:53 pm
@JPB,
Here's a review of the indications for CoQ10 use by the Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coenzyme-q10/NS_patient-coenzymeq10/DSECTION=evidence
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:09 pm
@JPB,
Thanks JPB!

It looks like it's being studied for just about everything but with no conclusive results yet.

Many of the people taking it were talking about increased energy levels (some said it had no effect that they'd noticed). Did you notice anything like that?
roger

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:11 pm
@boomerang,
Sounds effective for certain conditions.

Without the recommendation, I would put it in the same catagory as mangosteen. Whatever that stuff is, it cures everything - if you listen to the right endorsements.
boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:16 pm
@roger,
I'm a skeptic of everything so that's why I was asking for a larger sample. I do take a daily multivitamin and fish oil though so I'm not opposed to taking supplements.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:10 pm
@boomerang,
I didn't notice anything specific to taking the CoQ10. I made a number of other changes around the same time and attributed my increase in energy to dietary changes not the supplements.
boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:47 pm
@JPB,
I was wondering if that was perhaps what was going on.

Maybe I'll make a lab rat of myself. I have no "conditions" which need to be treated so I'll be a good experiment.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 09:10 am
It is expensive, in my mind, so I do not take it. I do take vitamin C morning and night, and vitamin E. I take some other supplements and vitamins, in addition to a vitamin/mineral multi. If it is doing me no good, at least the flora in my gut are living a good life, and staying healthy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:18 am
@roger,
Mangosteen is a fruit - I've tried it as I had heard it supposed to be so healthy for you - I do remember it being expensive, and I really didn't like it - I supposed I am very picky on my fruits any way.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:23 pm
@boomerang,
I wouldn't bother with CoQ10 if I were young, but since I'm elderly--and the elderly are said to generate only half the amount of their youth--I do take it. It's supposed to contribute to energy, which is what the elderly seem to lack.But it's virtually impossible to tell I it's making a difference. My high energy level might, for all I can tell, reflect the coffee I drink all day long.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:26 pm
@JLNobody,
did you know a sign of old age is repeating yourself.....
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:28 pm
@Linkat,
Nah, JLN double clicks.
He's computer lagging but mentally right up there.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:30 pm
@ossobuco,
well at least he aint a loser like me. Can JLN match socks?
roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:54 pm
@JLNobody,
Must be the CoQ10, cuz if it were coffee, I would be a human dynamo. Now, I'm interested in the stuff. I'll check out the shelves at sam's club.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:59 pm
I was in a bad way after starting a statin drug a few years ago, almost stopped taking it a month later due to pain and being drained all the time. I am a HUGE believer in CoQ10, just a few days on it and I felt like a new man.
boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:16 pm
I bought some yesterday at Costco -- $30 for a 60 day supply.

I realized I should have asked about brands. I bought Qunol liquid. Is there a better brand or does it really matter?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:31 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I bought some yesterday at Costco -- $30 for a 60 day supply.

I use Kirkland (costco)brand...300mg softgel 100 day supply $20-$25 depending on if it is in the current coupon book. It often is so I buy 2 at a time and rarely need to pay full price.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:33 pm
@roger,
I'm interested now too.

0 Replies