engineer

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 05:11 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

If Romney releases his jobs plan, and doesn't win the election, would Obama be man enough to admit the plan wasn't his if it worked, or would he take the credit?

If Romney released his jobs plan and the President implemented it, it wouldn't matter if the President admitted to Romney's plan because it would be public knowledge. I find the thought that you believe that Romney has the magic solution for jobs but he should withhold it if he loses to be sad. If Romney has the magic plan, shouldn't he share it in order to help the country (or at least the 53% of the country) that he claims to love?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 05:18 am
How to write a Mysteryman post.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 05:41 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

After all, wouldn't the "fair" thing to be that everyone pays the same rate?
Yes.

Loopholes should be eliminated, the tax code should be simplified, everyone should pay the same rate, and the truly needy should be assisted with government programs for assistance rather than by reductions in taxes. That way the amount spent for assistance is measurable and the tax rates are comparable we will have bright and sunny days for ever more.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 07:07 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Have you ever seen the IRS figures for what the top 1% pays in income taxes?
They do pay the lions share of all income tax paid.

Have you seen the IRS figures on who pays for what the top 1% pays in FICA taxes? The do NOT pay the lions share of all FICA taxes. If you want to be fair, shouldn't we raise their FICA rates?

Income taxes make up about 50% of total taxes. To argue about who pays the most of 50% of taxes is rather silly, don't you think?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 07:42 am
I think they should dump Romney and bring back Sarah Palin. At least when she opened her mouth the country got a good laugh out of what she said.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 07:58 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I find the thought that you believe that Romney has the magic solution for jobs but he should withhold it if he loses to be sad.

"This miracle cure can be yours for the low, low price of one vote! It cures all that ails ya! High taxes? Cured! Unemployment? Cured! Recession? Cured! No health care? Don't worry about health care, because all that ails you will be CURED! Now, don't ask me how it works, because I'm not a scientist and I don't understand it myself. But after I took the patented Dr. Romney's Miracle Elixir, I made two hundred million dollars with other people's money, and my horse danced in the Olympics!"
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 09:37 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

mysteryman wrote:
What I find interesting is that the left is crucifying Romney for his statement, but they defended Obama for these statements...

Or in other words, you have no argument, so you resort to finger-pointing. Shame on me for expecting better of you. I should have known.

What a cart load of BS Thomas. You guys do it all the time and now you are going to jump on the bash Mysteryman bandwagon? I have yet to see you guys do the same everytime one of you guys says "Yeah, but Bush did it too...." or some other lame thing where you point the finger at a republican every time a dem is criticized.

So, don't go shaming MM unless you plan to show equal condemnation for your side.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 10:26 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
So, don't go shaming MM unless you plan to show equal condemnation for your side.

That won't work because the amount of bull **** to condem is not equal in the first place.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 10:46 am
@jcboy,
And there's good health value in laughs. Mr. Green
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 10:56 am
Quote:
Last night on David Letterman's show, President Obama offered his first response to Mitt Romney's attack on 47 percenters, rejecting Romney's belief that he shouldn't "worry about" people who don't support him and rebutting Romney's claim that nearly half the country see themselves as "victims" and feel "entitled" to free stuff from the government.

When I won in 2008, 47 percent of the American people voted for John McCain, they didn't for vote for me. And what I said on election night was "Even though you didn't vote for me, I hear your voices, and I'm going to work as hard as I can to be your president."

And one of the things that I've learned as president, is you represent the entire country. And when I meet Republicans as we're traveling around the country, they are hard-working, family people who care about this country, and my expectation is that if you want to be president, you've go to work for everybody—not just for some.

Obama didn't mention Romney by name, but his rebuke was plenty tough, sparing Romney no quarter. Obama rejected Romney's claim that 47 percent of Americans see themselves as victims entitled to government dependency. "They work hard," Obama said. Travelling around the country, "you don't meet anybody who doesn't believe in the American Dream and the fact that nobody is entitled to success, that you've got to work hard. And so, I promise you, there are not a lot of people out there who think they are victims. They're not a lot of people who think they're entitled to something."

The president also defended the proposition that there are things that government can and should do to make sure everybody has a fair shot at the American Dream.

What I think the majority of people—Democrats and Republicans—believe is that we've got some obligations to each other and there's nothing wrong with giving each other a helping hand so if that single mom's kid, even after all the work she's done, still can't afford to go to college, for us to be able to give them some help on a student loan so they can end up curing the next disease, or starting the next Google, I think that's a good investment for America. And if you want to be president, and you want to bring people together, I think that's the attitude you've got to have.

Obama, noting his own 2008 fundraiser slip, said "all of us make mistakes," but added that he quickly recognized his mistake. "What I think people want to make sure of, though, is that you're not writing off a big chunk of the country," he said. "One thing I've never tried to do, and I think none of us can do in public office, is suggest that because somebody doesn't agree with me that they're victims or they're unpatriotic or that they don't have a sense of responsibility."

source

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 11:48 am
Quote:
Did Romney Actually Say He'd Take Advantage of Hostages or Dead Americans?

Watch the now infamous Romney tapes, starting at the 4-minute mark. A questioner asks him about foreign policy and they start to talk about the hostage crisis in 1980. Then Romney drops this nugget:

And yet, in that election, in the Jimmy Carter election, the fact that we had hostages in Iran, I mean, that was all we talked about. And we had the two helicopters crash in the desert, I mean, that was the focus, and so him [Reagan] solving that made all the difference in the world. I'm afraid today that if you simply got Iran to agree to stand down on nuclear weapons, they'd go, "Now hold on. It's really a -- "I mean, if something of that nature presents itself I will work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity.

I'm sorry, what? If there's an international crisis where Americans die and/or hostages are taken, you'll "work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity"?

I might not believe that's what Mitt Romney meant by this statement, if it wasn't exactly what he did down the road, when he immediately tried to politically capitalize on the attacks on our diplomatic outposts, before we even knew who had died.

I know many people have been dismayed over Governor Romney's comments about the mythical 47 percent who don't pay taxes and mooch off the government, but, to me, this is so much worse.

It shows that the political aspirations and ego of Mitt Romney have no limits -- not even national security or American lives are spared. As Commander in Chief, with the military under his control and his finger on the button, what other "opportunities" would he "find a way to take advantage of?"

I shudder to think.

source
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 12:48 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I guess you didn't see folks slam edgarb when he started his thread about not voting for Obama, or read the posts attacking anyone and everyone for criticizing Obama for not being a liberal.

I can tell you it's not pleasant to not be a supporter of Mr. Obama at this site, regardless of whether you think he is a commie or not liberal enough.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 01:01 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
What a cart load of BS Thomas. You guys do it all the time and now you are going to jump on the bash Mysteryman bandwagon? I have yet to see you guys do the same everytime one of you guys says "Yeah, but Bush did it too...." or some other lame thing where you point the finger at a republican every time a dem is criticized.

Brilliant! A tu quoque argument in defense of tu quoque arguments. It's like a double-helping of fallacious reasoning!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 02:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
I don't know how Romney can win the presidency when he's written off half (47%) the Americans as free-loaders off the government. Can you?

But, there's always the "but;" Americans aren't too smart. I think 50% of those 47% will still vote for Romney.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I don't know how Romney can win the presidency when he's written off half (47%) the Americans as free-loaders off the government. Can you?

Sure. A lot of those freeloaders don't think they're freeloaders.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbkw8NA6CImK74ZhCUZuFa-YPAMrNBP4WEv7so0Mlww1rZvKKV
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
Therein lies the problem; they're st............
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

But, there's always the "but;" Americans aren't too smart. I think 50% of those 47% will still vote for Romney.

Then you must think he will win.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I also found Romney in Italy.

http://i46.tinypic.com/xp5tag.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You must be growing more confident in your candidate by the day, eh?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And don't underestimate the motivationg power of hatred (a lot of people would rather have elmer fudd than obama), or the diligence of those working dirty voter suppression tricks...
0 Replies