I thought this was a bad thing...

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:08 pm
At least it was when Bush admitted this same thing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/at-prayer-breakfast-obama-says-christian-faith-guides-his-policies/2012/02/02/gIQAzNyakQ_story.html?hpid=z1

Quote:
President Obama used an appearance at the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday to reaffirm his faith at a time when Republican critics have accused him of a “war on religion,” telling an audience of religious leaders that his policies are grounded in his Christian beliefs.

Obama, speaking to 3,000 people at the Washington Hilton, used passages from the Bible to make the case that his push for a more equitable economy is rooted in a long-honored value system. And he suggested that his proposal to increase taxes on wealthier Americans is consistent with the teachings of Jesus.

So is it ok to use your faith to help decide policy, or isnt it?
I dont carew either way, I am wondering if those that blasted Bush will be consistent.

Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:14 pm
@mysteryman,
I never blasted Bush for acting like a Christian. I blasted him for acting like Satan. I don't actually believe any president has put forth many policies that would make Jesus proud, Obama included.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:20 pm
@mysteryman,
A Do-It-Yourself Guide To Writing a Mysteryman Post

1. Discover that Democrats are doing something that you don't like.

2. Create a strawman argument that equates what the Democrats are doing with what Democrats criticized Republicans for doing, even if the two things have nothing in common.

3. Feign astonishment that Democrats would be doing the exact same thing that they previously criticized Republicans for doing.

4. Wonder if anyone else has thought of this.

5. Express no particular political leanings one way or the other -- hey, it's not like I'm a Republican or anything! -- even though all of your outrage is reserved for apparent or imagined Democratic hypocrisy.

6. Profit?
Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:32 pm
@joefromchicago,
Laughing

aka Passive-Aggressive.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:55 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
1. Discover that Democrats are doing something that you don't like.

It doesnt matter to me, I am totally ambivalent to the whole thing.

Quote:
2. Create a strawman argument that equates what the Democrats are doing with what Democrats criticized Republicans for doing, even if the two things have nothing in common.

The democrats arent doing it, Obama is.
Obama said that his faith guided his policies and how he made decisions.

Quote:
3. Feign astonishment that Democrats would be doing the exact same thing that they previously criticized Republicans for doing.

Again, Obama is doing it, not the democrats. Unless you are suggesting that he represents all democrats, which I dont think you are.

Quote:
5. Express no particular political leanings one way or the other -- hey, it's not like I'm a Republican or anything! -- even though all of your outrage is reserved for apparent or imagined Democratic hypocrisy.

If you seriously believe this, then you have not read many of my posts, have you?
I comment on whatever makes no sense to me, no matter what party it is.
For you to say that I havent criticized repubs shows that you have no ides what you are talking about.

My entire reason for bringing it up is simply to see if the same people that were outraged when Bush admitted that religion played a role will also be outraged when Obama says the same thing.

No matter what you think, it is a fair question.

Now, for you to say that nobody criticized Bush is simply untrue...

http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/266/the-bush-presidency-undermining-the-separation-between-church-and-state-

There are other examples of where Bush was condemned by those on the left for his using his faith as a guide for his policies.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 06:40 pm
I never paid attention to what Bush said after a certain distance into his presidency. And Obama is just seeking political points. Ultimately, I think religion has nothing to do with decisions made by either man.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 09:39 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
It doesnt matter to me, I am totally ambivalent to the whole thing.

Yeah, so you keep saying.

mysteryman wrote:
The democrats arent doing it, Obama is.
Obama said that his faith guided his policies and how he made decisions.

So what? You're not suggesting Obama is being hypocritical, are you?

mysteryman wrote:
If you seriously believe this, then you have not read many of my posts, have you?

I read all of your posts.

mysteryman wrote:
I comment on whatever makes no sense to me, no matter what party it is.
For you to say that I havent criticized repubs shows that you have no ides what you are talking about.

I never said you haven't criticized Republicans. On the other hand, I have never seen you suggest that Republicans are hypocrites in the same way that you constantly suggest that Democrats are.

mysteryman wrote:
My entire reason for bringing it up is simply to see if the same people that were outraged when Bush admitted that religion played a role will also be outraged when Obama says the same thing.

Except that it's not the same thing.

mysteryman wrote:
Now, for you to say that nobody criticized Bush is simply untrue...

Point out to me where I said that.

mysteryman wrote:
There are other examples of where Bush was condemned by those on the left for his using his faith as a guide for his policies.

I doubt that anyone would have cared if Bush had grounded his policies on the bible or the koran or the bhagavad gita or McGuffey's Reader so long as those policies were compatible with their own political ideologies. Liberals didn't oppose Bush because he thought Jesus would have wanted a lower capital gains tax, they opposed him because he wanted a lower capital gains tax. Wrapping his conservative ideology in a theological blanket was just an aspect of Bush's overall hypocrisy, it wasn't the chief reason why people disagreed with that ideology.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 09:54 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
“For me, as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’ ” Obama said. “It mirrors the Islamic belief that those who’ve been blessed have an obligation to use those blessings to help others, or the Jewish doctrine of moderation and consideration for others.”

He was explaining that for him, his beliefs are consistent with Jesus's teachings. He is right but I think you are also right. We on the left have criticized Bush for bringing religious beliefs into government policies. However those that are criticizing Obama now, did not when Bush did the same. Round and round it goes.

Its actually a very moving speech.

National Prayer Breakfast: President Obama’s speech transcript

excerpt:

Now, we can earnestly seek to see these values lived out in our politics and our policies, and we can earnestly disagree on the best way to achieve these values. In the words of C.S. Lewis, "Christianity has not, and does not profess to have a detailed political program. It is meant for all men at all times, and the particular program which suited one place or time would not suit another."

Our goal should not be to declare our policies as biblical. It is God who is infallible, not us. Michelle reminds me of this often. (Laughter.) So instead, it is our hope that people of goodwill can pursue their values and common ground and the common good as best they know how, with respect for each other. And I have to say that sometimes we talk about respect, but we don't act with respect towards each other during the course of these debates.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:33 am
What would you expect him to talk about at a national prayer meeting? The number of unfinanced wars he has started?
revelette

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:45 am
@RABEL222,
Uh, that would be one and it cost was less in both lost lives and finance because it was shared. In fact that was one of the conditions the US insisted on before it would get involved; which led to charges from McCain and others of "leading from behind."

How The Lessons of Iraq Paid Off in Libya

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 11:41 am
@revelette,
I agree. It was a moving speech.

My memory is hazy. I don't remember Bush wrapping himself in a cloak of spirituality and I don't remember lefties on a2k taking him to task for it.
Perhaps MM you can refresh my memory.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 11:48 am
Metal roofing . . . now there's a wryly funny tag . . .
panzade

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 11:52 am
@Setanta,
I'd love to know who inserted that one...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 11:54 am
Where does Obama say that he uses his faith to guide his policies? The headline says this, but I think it is a poorly written headline. He is saying that God is in line with his policies, not that he is following God's policies. There is quite a difference.

God has the right to agree with Obama if He chooses.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 11:59 am
Personally I think that the Republicans have a point here. Jesus never was ashamed of his wealth, from his noble birth in luxury to his vast collection of nice things to his pleasant passing with dignity and respect.

And he told stories that showed how lazy and unworthy the poor people really are. For example Lazarus was poor, and he begged Jesus to let a wealthy man come from the riches of heaven to warn his brothers not to be poor.

Yep, Jesus was always hanging around with the rich. It was good for his stock portfolio. He really seemed to have it in for poor people and foreigners.

panzade

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:28 pm
Max's post refreshed my memory. I DO remember Bush saying something about his policies being guided by his Christian faith.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:35 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Yep, Jesus was always hanging around with the rich. It was good for his stock portfolio. He really seemed to have it in for poor people and foreigners.

Shocked Just like Obama
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
maxdancona wrote:

H20Man wrote:

Just like Obama

The difference being that Jesus never told rich people to sell their possessions and give money to the poor.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm
@maxdancona,

Yep, Obama just takes your money and it never gets to the poor
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 05:45 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

To be fair, it is possible. Most of *my* posts are at odds with the Democrats. But I've been a registered Democrat all my life (a highly disgruntled, conservative Democrat, but still a Democrat).
0 Replies