The Growing Fire Around Trent Lott

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 06:11 pm
ci and phoenix

God I do love folks who aren't so full of pride that they can change their minds. Were you both here, I'd make you a sandwich or something.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 06:19 pm
Blatham- Make that a corned beef on rye with mustard, and a sour pickle! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 07:40 pm
Ditto for me! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 08:33 pm
I've read most of the comments here and would like to make one myself.

I think Lott's brain momentarily put him back into 1948 and he "told the truth" according to how he felt then, 54 years ago.
He probably thought, 54 years ago, that his friend should have been voted in and would have been able to keep hiding those problems in a closet. That is about as far as he was "thinking." He was in a time warp and momentarily enjoying those years of blissful ignorance.

Tex-Star
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:01 pm
c.i., I know your :wink: , I know Lott Rolling Eyes , I would vote for you Very Happy - Lott's gone Rolling Eyes , Nickles has already challenged Sad . I hopr Frist from Tenn tries and wins.

I was a little confused Confused where you were coming from c.i., but I will always respect your position on issues. Cool Thanks for your comments and blatham, Thanks for the link :wink: .

Phoenix, I don't doubt where you stand either. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Slimmerson

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:44 am
Lets say for arguments sake that your Uncle was arrested in 1948 for child molestation and did some time in rehab.
In the ensueing years he had developed a cure for cancer and contributed greatly in time travel and thought he might have a solution for world peace.
At his one hundredth birthday party you exalt him as being a great man and if more people would have listened to him the world would be a better place.
Now all of the childrens advovates come out of the wood work and tell you what a rotten person you are for speaking nicely about a child molester and you in fact are probably a child molester too since you have the unmitagated gall to stand up and say some nice things about this awful man 54 years after his deeds.
Yes you can point to some yeah buts in this story, but it is about the same treatment you are giving Trent Lott whom by the way I care very little for. Injustice is injustice whether we like the person or not, this is strictly a political attack by the ever oppurtunistic Democrats which operate exactly like their counterparts.
0 Replies

Slimmerson

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:52 am
What does amaze me is all of these people that come out as mind readers. So many people are saying Trent Lott thought this or Lott thought that.
This guys thoughts must be an open book to all of you that are gifted with the ability to see into a mans mind and know what he was thinking.
The really amazing part is, none of you were there, so you are doing this mind reading off a film or picture of the man.
All I can say is, if what you are saying is in fact the truth, you should be on television demonstrating this gift to the public. I for one would buy a ticket to see this if it is real.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:53 am
Slimmerson- Using your analogy, the nephew did not congratulate his uncle for his work on world peace, time travel or cure for cancer. That would have been fine, and perfectly appropriate. What he DID applaud was his child molestation!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:37 am
Slimmerson, Bad analogy! When you kill the mind of a child, that will not repair just because they do something of value later in life. Sorry, guy, I don't buy. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:57 am
Lott has also acted as a Segregationist in his lifetime. So, not only was his uncle a child molester, but so is he. And then, he praises his Uncle for being a child molester, continuing to be a child molester and the unfortunate thing is he was unable to make child molesting legal. But, he still applauds him for trying.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:16 am
There's no other way to interpret what Lott said and nobody has offered any -- he wouldn't need to apologize unless he admitted he had foot-in-mouth disease and had chosen poor words to express himself. Does anyone really believe he didn't remember his previous statement? It wouldn't matter what Strom stood for other than that one major plank in his platform. This isn't going to go away -- Lott's effectiveness has been severely damaged by this and has called attention once again to his record over the past fifty years. We need less of these stone-faced, contentious, tired old politicians who feign having changed legislating for the rest of us. Again, term limits is looking good!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:42 am
LW, I hope Lott doesn't represent the 'typical' politician of today. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 12:00 pm
I hope so, too -- politicians have too many hidden agendas and unless you follow them carefully through their terms of office (and we don't -- we leave that up to the journalist), you can't be sure exactly what they stand for. That is exactly why politicians should be extremely careful with the presence of the media scrutiny, the advent of the Interent and 24 hour news channels, what they say. Was this a Fruedian slip? The evidence of his positions over the last fifty years, the fact that he repeated it before and the fact that other Republicans including Dubya have reprimanded him should be enough to reveal the truth. He's no longer trusted by enough in the legislatures to continue his leadership post. If they leave him intact, it's only because they are likely to loose two more cabinet members before the election, possibly more. It doesn't look good for the solidarity of the administration.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:37 pm
Seems like this forum is turning from growing fire into small flame. With the ousting of Lott from his esteemed position, and the possible loss of seats for the GOP in the next election, I'm kinda looking forward to the next politican's "slip of the tongue" to see how high the price can be. This is one way to establish term limits. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:45 pm
Latest news is that the Senate Republicans are going to meet to decided Lott's fate.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:50 am
More from Dowd...god, this girl can write a humdinger of a column.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/18/opinion/18DOWD.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:13 am
Power does not exist within the Title of power but rather within the recognition of that power, a general cannot march his troops into battle unless the troops accept the authority of the general. Lott, it appears has lost that acknowledgement of power ergo he may or may not retain his title but he has surely lost the excercise of power. the degree that his fellows in the Senate support his continuence of Title will effect in a negative manner the power of the Senate itself be it Republican or Democrat. What may confound the Senate will not be serious opposition, but lack of seriousness altogether.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
Lott must go if he has any sense of "responsibility." He knows he's lost his 'power' to lead. c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:26 am
Excellent observation, Dyslexia . . .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:41 am
It amazes me how hard Lott is fighting to keep his job, since it's now clear that many (most?) of his GOP colleagues, from Bush on down, want him out. And frankly, he seems to be willing to grovel to keep it. Apologizing over and over again; it's rather demeaning, don't you think? Not that he doesn't deserve it for what he's said and done over the years...
0 Replies