The Growing Fire Around Trent Lott

au1929

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:13 pm
T here are new indications on Capitol Hill that the controversy over Sen. Trent Lott's remarks at the birthday ceremony for Sen. Strom Thurmond might soon swell into a major issue touching leading politicians of both parties.

The flap began last Thursday, at Thurmond's 100th birthday party. Addressing a group of senators, staffers, and well-wishers, Lott said, "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years." Lott was referring to Thurmond's presidential run in 1948, as the candidate of the segregationist Dixiecrat party.

Was this slip of the tongue, an indication of Lott's true feelings or just a statement made to celebrate Thurmond's 100th birthday? In my opinion it's meaning is being missinterpreted inorder to make political hay.

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york121002b.asp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,645 • Replies: 148
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:20 pm
I don't think that Lott is that naive politically. I chalk it up to a bit of overenthusiasm over a collegue who had just celebrated a very important birthday. In his zeal, he tripped over his feet, and made a injudicious remark. I think that the "talking heads" and others who want to skewer him for the remark should get over it!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:21 pm
regardless of Lott's intent it was a stupid remark and not tolerable of a leader in the Senate of the United States
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:26 pm
trent lott
I thought stupidity was a prerequisite for public office - that's whay I haven't voted since JFK was killed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:40 pm
à propos of which:

"Suppose i were an idiot; suppose i were a member of Congress--but then, i repeat myself."

S. Clemens
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:46 pm
There is many a slip betwixt the brain and the lip.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:51 pm
dyslexia- If every politician who made stupid or hurtful remarks that exhibited lack of judgement were removed from office, the halls of Congress, as well as the White House, would be empty. Rolling Eyes

Hmm- There might be some good coming out of that! Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:02 pm
He meant what he said. Lott and Thurmond both would just as soon live in a segregated society, well actually they do, they try to pretend but it is what they are all about. The only reason the GOP is upset is that they have tried so hard to cultivate the votes of those of color and the truth hurts. The Southern GOP does not give a wit for anyone but the white folks and are full of fear that they will lose their domination.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 07:02 pm
Phoenix

Here I disagree with you, and think Joanne has it right.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/10/opinion/10KRUG.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 07:09 pm
Only Trent Lott knows what is really in his heart. What is very confusing to me, is why a super politically savvy individual would commit political suicide. At this point, I think that I will just have to wait and watch and listen!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 07:33 pm
Phoenix

Joan Didion's "Political Fictions" is a book I recommend even in conversations about plumbing. Politics has become so much a matter of staging that we might just as well turn off the volume and watch these guys for clues as to what they are really thinking. It is their mistakes and mis-steps which most revealing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:13 pm
This is a review from New York Review of Books on Didion's "Political Fictions"... http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14961
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:24 pm
Blatham- that article is fascinating! Thanks Surprised
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 01:37 am
My pleasure. This is a book which, if I were King, I'd make everyone read or, failing that, hand over their daughter.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 09:55 am
I guess he meant what he said since he has said it before.
Lott's Praise for Thurmond Echoed His Words of 1980

By CARL HULSE

WASHINGTON, Dec. 10 — Trent Lott, the Republican Senate leader who faces mounting criticism for his comment last week that the nation would have been better off had Strom Thurmond been elected president in 1948, expressed a nearly identical sentiment two decades ago.
After a fiery speech by Mr. Thurmond at a campaign rally in Mississippi for Ronald Reagan in November 1980, Mr. Lott, then a congressman, told a crowd in Jackson, "You know, if we had elected this man 30 years ago, we wouldn't be in the mess we are today."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/11/politics/11LOTT.html?todaysheadlines
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:34 am
I don't buy Lott's mea culpa even for an instant. He is a former broadcaster and knows how to research and judge his own comments. This was stupidity on his part that he didn't realize it would be picked up by the press and, no, it isn't blown out of proportion. It's just too obvious. There is a hue and cry from the conservative side of the aisle as well and if they don't ask him to step down from his leadership post, I'd be shocked.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 01:42 pm
He won't be asked to step down. He is a grand wizard or some such and has never stepped down from that position either. His intent and agenda has never seen a better future. I don't see a little nipping and tucking at the edge of Affirmative Action in the next 2 years. There will be wholesale changes with all three branches of the govenment controlled by the _________ (fill in your own).
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
Well, if he isn't asked to step down, maybe he should be impeached, if not for racism then for public stupidity. I know there are plenty in Congress just as foolish, but when a Senator publically demonstrates his abject lack of intelligence........well......and the racism is unforgiveable. I don't doubt he really believes what he said. I'm sure he slipped up and said it accidently, but this only illustrates the profound depth of his racist convictions.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:46 pm
Lola
He said what he meant and meant what he said. Note he said the very same thing in 1980.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:56 pm
I thought it was a major faux pas on his part, but after reading this I'm not so sure.
0 Replies