The Growing Fire Around Trent Lott

blatham

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:38 pm
perception

Equally agreeable to bump into you.

Well, yes, I do think Carl Rove is extraordinarily powerful in this administration. But there are things the fellow cannot do, eg pick a new Chief Justice.

Here's a piece on the matter of how Lott might be removed... http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2075430

I suspect you are right in your assessment that he is damaging the party. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out, as I think it will be a classic example of power politics. Unfortunately, we won't really see what goes on. I'm hoping that, at least, John McCain will beat him up behind a pub somewhere. (McCain, by the way, is my main man)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:45 pm
Weird URL you have there blatham, or it's just me. BTW, I would vote for McCain and he would win in 2004 if he ran. He could run on the Democrat ticket! There is enough in the party, in my view, who would nominate him.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:14 pm
BillW

I'm sorry, the link works for me. But if you go to the Slate site and scroll down a bit, you'll see a heading that matches this topic.

If I were an American and McCain (magically) became the Republican nominee, I'd support him anyway, even though I disagree with some of his ideas. But he is becoming that rarest of breeds - a politican with integrity who speaks his mind honestly, and damn the polls and pundits.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:19 pm
blatham, I get bleed over. Kinda like back when you were xeroxing and two pages got put onto one. It happens when I cut and past the URL also. I just go straight to slate.

On the McCain point, yes I agree with you. However, I don't remember a sitting incumbent President ever not being nominated in his own party in a followup election.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
Weird, even when I go direct to Slate, from www.msn.com I still get the bleed over. Must be something wrong with my 'puter.

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/alles_moegliche/allesmoegliche028.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 07:34 am
Maureen Down on Trent...
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/opinion/15DOWD.html
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:54 am
Maureen really heats it up. Maxine Waters announced yesterday that the black caucus will request a public censure of Trent and renounced his latest apology.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:10 am
Who amongst us have never had a slip of the tongue? If you want perefection of our government representatives, we will not have a government. If you want perfection of Americans, there will never be any Americans - except for Jimmy Carter (maybe). How many times do you want this man to apologize for his slip of the tongue? One more observation: When Clinton lied to the people and the court of law, the democrats supported him without blinking an eye. When Lot has a slip of the tongue, his fellow repubs called him on it. I'm not a democrat or repub, but at this juncture, I think the repubs are ahead. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:10 am
No. 2 GOP senator calls for new vote

Sen. Nickles wants new election for majority leader's job after Lott controversy

Dec. 15 - The Senate's No. 2 Republican leader called Sunday for a new election for the majority leader's job that Sen. Trent Lott is set to hold in the new Congress. This comes as other congressional Republicans question the majority leader's ability to effectively lead the party after a drawn out controversy on Lott's comments at a birthday party for South Carolina Sen. Strom Thurmond.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/845511.asp?vts=121520020740

Bye-bye
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:34 am
ci

Respectfully, I disagree. We all lie, and do it multiple times per day. There's a fair bit of sociological study on this. With politicians, it is apparently a necessary job skill.

What seems critical to me is what is is we lie about. I do not care in the slightest if Trent is getting a blow job in the janitor's closet from someone not his wife. But compare that to the the deceit of North and friends to the congress.

It isn't the slip of the tongue, it's what the slip of the tongue reveals. Another example would be the detective in the OJ case who had a history of using the term 'niggers'.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:45 am
blatham, I guess it depends upon our perception of right and wrong. We're all different, and different strokes for different folks. It's my understanding that Lott's mis-speak was at a time when the others were telling jokes about Thurman. It became controversial, because of 'politics' as usual. Even some blacks understand the circumstances under which Lott made his remark. As a non-black, it seems overstepping to penalize him for his slip of the tongue. BTW, we're not talking about some sexual indiscretion or a lie on Lott's part. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:38 pm
c.i., your argument would have more weight if Lott did not have such a unrepentented history of these grievous actions!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:44 pm
BillW, Can you please outline for us those " history of these grievous actions?" c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:50 pm
blatham on the previous page added a URL ( http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/opinion/15DOWD ) for a NY Times article by Maureen Dowd that pretty well outlines Lott's prior statements and actions - at least one I had not seen before. It is in Dowd style, but I have been able to tell facts from rhetoric for a long time - and this article has a lot of Lott facts.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:58 pm
cicerone imposter
Clinton lied about sex. Although the politicians made a big deal about it most people down deep did not give a damn. Lotts indiscretion however related to racism. That is a hot button issue. Being accused of racism is as bad or worse than Senator McCarty calling you a communist in the in the 50's.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 02:03 pm
Thers's a run by Don Nickles now; so, turn out lights, the parties over!

Did you know that Lott is 14th on the seniority list, so he won't even get a chairmanship.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 03:54 pm
BillW, I tried the link, but got a "this page is not found." c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 04:05 pm
c.i., try this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/opinion/15DOWD.html

sorry, I left off the .html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 04:35 pm
BillW, If you know anything about me, you understand that I have no tolerance for bigots. Lott fits that picture, and I'm ashamed to have defended his "slip of the tongue." Unfortunately, that's his soul - according to the information shared on that link. Thanks for the heads up. I shall remember Lott, a lott with disdain. c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 04:48 pm
c.i.- I have to agree with you. I was too quick to excuse the man, and chalk up the remark to excitement over the birthday of a friend. After learning a bit more, and upon reflection, it looks like what Lott really believes came out in that remark. Embarrassed
0 Replies