Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:08 pm
Don't they know in Florida that we can see what they are writing?/???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/christopher-castillo-obama-facebook_n_2137360.html?ir=Politics&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Joe(two for one sale)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:17 am
If you own an electric car in Sarasota, Florida, the city allows you to charge it up for FREE ... but if you are homeless and want to charge your cell phone, you go to jail. Makes sense to me ...

Quote:
Homeless man arrested for charging phone in park

By Lee Williams
Published: Monday, November 12, 2012 at 1:13 p.m.

A homeless man spent the night in jail Sunday after police arrested him for charging his cellphone in a public picnic shelter at Gillespie Park.

Darren Kersey, 28, was charged with theft of utilities after Sarasota Police Sgt. Anthony Frangioni spotted him charging his phone at about 9:20 p.m. Sunday. Unable to come up with the $500 bail for the misdemeanor, Kersey had no choice but to stay in jail.

In his arrest report, Frangioni wrote that he told Kersey that the “theft of city utilities will not be tolerated during this bad economy.” Frangioni also told Kersey that he should charge his phone at local shelters, according to the report.

But Monday morning Circuit Judge Charles Williams threw the case out, saying Frangioni lacked the legal justification to make the arrest.

Frangioni, a 14-year veteran of the Sarasota Police Department, did not return calls or emails seeking comment for this story. Neither did City Manager Thomas Barwin.

Police spokesman Capt. Paul Sutton said Chief Mikel Hollaway, who was off Monday, will be reviewing the case today. Following the review the department is expected to issue a statement, Sutton said.

The arrest threatens to add to a rolling battle between Sarasota and the American Civil Liberties Union, which have clashed over various homeless issues.

Last spring, the ACLU accused police of violating the civil rights of more than 6,500 people over four years by using trespassing warnings to shoo people off downtown sidewalks. After a lawsuit was filed, the city suspended its program and is in the process of rewriting portions of its trespass ordinance.

The interaction between police and the homeless is the top priority for the local ACLU, said Michael Barfield, who heads the legal panel for the organization’s Sarasota chapter.

“We have been monitoring the efforts to root the homeless out of the parks, and have several actions planned against the city,” Barfield said. “So much happens on a daily basis, it’s hard to keep up with it. Every day there’s something new.”

The city’s policies toward the homeless have garnered unwanted attention through the years. In 2006, Sarasota was called the “meanest city” in the nation by the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty and the National Coalition for the Homeless, but eventually disappeared from the organizations’ lists.

It is not difficult for homeless advocates to point out that people with money are treated differently by city officials: for those able to afford an electric car, Sarasota offers free electrical power at vehicle charging stations throughout the city, including one at City Hall.

Ragman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:25 am
@Ticomaya,
News like that makes me want to weep - then picket.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:45 pm

Killing Giant Snakes in Florida:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNZYpg65wus
0 Replies

Bennet

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:52 pm

Pit bull left to "babysit" 10-month-old child, Fla. man arrested

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/05/03/ctm_pitbull_050312_244x183.jpg
(CBS) PALM COAST, Fla. - A 41-year-old northeast Florida man, James Irvine, faces child neglect charges after he allegedly left an infant in the care of a pit bull while he went out to drink Friday night.

The mother of the 10-month-old child left the baby in Irvine's care when she left for work on Nov. 30, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports. However, Irvine soon abandoned the child to go out to a bar.

The child's mother reportedly became alarmed after she tried contacting Irvine several times Friday night. When Irvine finally picked up the mother's phone calls he reportedly told her "I'm watching the game," before hanging up, the newspaper reports.

When the mother arrived home, she discovered Irvine trying to get back into the house through the garage door.

According to the News-Journal, citing a Flagler County sheriff's report, Irvine told her that he had not "left the baby alone," because the "pit bull was watching the baby."

The dog was sitting outside the room where the child was left. The door was shut, and the child was allegedly crying, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

Irvine was arrested and brought to the Flagler County Inmate Facility. He was later released on $1,500 bail, the newspaper reports.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:56 pm
@Bennet,
Welcome aboard Bennet to a2k. That $1500 seems too low of a bail for this brick-headed bloke.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 03:00 pm
I'm still freaking on what I learned yesterday, that seven states disallow atheists in public office.
Bennet

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 03:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes. It isn't generally safe to leave a baby with any dog without supervision, especially the highly notorious breed known as the pitbull. Thankfully, the baby wasn't hurt.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 06:11 pm
@Bennet,
It's akin to handing the baby a loaded gun to play with.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 05:22 am
@boomerang,
JPB has been hosting a thread on this topic for 3 years.

http://able2know.org/topic/128704-1

Heartbreaking reading.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 03:08 pm
@panzade,
Meanwhile.......out on the highways of the Sunshine State:
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/columnist/100329716

Joe(Hoooonneeyy, hit the brakes!)Nation
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 11:51 am
@Joe Nation,
Florida Men Aspired To Bomb NYC But Couldn't Afford It, Feds Say
http://gothamist.com/2012/12/19/florida_man_wanted_to_bomb_nyc_but.php
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 06:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Woman says someone stole her driveway

Associated Press Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 AM

REDDICK, Fla. — Sheriff’s detectives have a real whodunit on their hands after a north Florida woman came home and found her driveway missing.

According to deputies, the woman felt a “bump” when she drove onto her driveway Tuesday night. She got out of her vehicle and discovered about 300-square-feet of brick pavers were missing.

The Ocala Star-Banner reports she told deputies the pavers were in place when she left home about 7:30 that morning.

A witness told deputies about seeing two men digging up the pavers. But the activity didn’t seem suspicious because construction workers were building a barn on the property. The witness told investigators the men were driving an older model black pickup with a flat-bed utility trailer.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 352-368-7867.
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 06:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
Wondering out loud if they were stoned?
panzade

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 07:32 pm
@Ragman,
The headline read:
Florida Psychic Sucker Punched By Lindsey Lohan

The column is by one of Palm Beach's funniest writers.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local/cerabino-palm-beach-psychic-sucker-punched-by-lind/nTMz9/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm still freaking on what I learned yesterday, that seven states disallow atheists in public office.

Please tell me you're kidding?
jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:08 pm
@dlowan,
This one isn't odd or strange but the winning powerball ticket for 50 million was sold right here in St. Pete!

Winning Powerball ticket worth $50M sold in St. Petersburg

Quote:
Someone in St. Petersburg could be carrying around a lottery ticket worth $50 million.

The Florida Lottery announced Thursday that someone had matched all five numbers and the Powerball in Wednesday's drawing, which wins the $50 million jackpot.

The winning ticket was purchased as a Quick Pick at Sweetbay, located at 2139 34th St. N. in St. Petersburg.

The winning numbers are 54-43-14-11-23 and the Powerball was 4.

The jackpot winner has 180 days from the date of the drawing to claim the prize. However, if the winner wants to select the one-time lump-sum cash payment, the claim must be filed within 60 days after the draw date.

Officials said this is the state's fifth Powerball winner, which means Florida has the most Powerball winners of any state since the game was introduced here in January 2009.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:20 pm
@dlowan,
That turned out to be an old thing - explanation develops in this not very long thread : http://able2know.org/topic/203748-1
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:24 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Please tell me you're kidding?

Are there any bans on Unitarians in office? I know some woman in Texas was going to strip a parish of its tax-exempt status because it lacked a formal creed. (They could be lumped in with atheists in most Christians' minds.)
Kolyo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:17 pm
@Kolyo,
Oh, never mind. I just read the thread linked-to above.

Seems the anti-atheist laws are fairly old and fanciful.