Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 04:20 am
If you were a young kid looking to get into the smuggling game, wouldn't you pick, I don't know, gold coins, diamonds, drugs, counterfeit money.... No, you'd pick this:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/dinosaur-thief-arrested-in-florida.aspx?pageID=238&nID=32700&NewsCatID=375

What'd yah got there, boyo, under your coat?

A 60 ton fossil, sir.

Joe(drop it, I said, drop it)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 02:47 pm
Okay,,,,this was in California, but it sure looks like a Florida Palmetto Bug!!

http://gawker.com/5953259/reporter-stayed-calm-as-a-roach-crawled-all-over-him-during-a-live-broadcast

Joe(it took a week to train her to do that)Nation
jcboy

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 03:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Boy that really freaked me out, I really hate those palmetto bugs!
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 03:18 pm
@jcboy,
I'm in no way squeamish about most wildlife or bugs....but....I admit this freely: at the first sighting of a palmetto bug in my home, I'd be on the phone and will have flight reservations made to move up north. I'd rather face a snake.
jcboy

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 03:22 pm
@Ragman,
I had one that got in the house when I first moved here, one of the cats got a hold of it.

It was larger then the roach crawling on the reporter.
Cool
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 07:37 pm
@jcboy,
No way I'll look at that roach crawling on him. I was primed to despise roaches from my first apartment, and those were the smaller ones.

I remember a very big roach in Guatemala city (welcome to the bathroom in the middle of the night), but don't know if those are the same. Will try looking at google images.

I've been known to freak out about a black widow in my kitchen. Saw one outside a few weeks ago. I was washing down a rug on an outside table and left it out to air dry. Between dog hair and the sand that gets in the house, rugs need to be rugged here. Anyway, I gathered the now dry rug to hoist it inside again. That took a lot of weighty folding. What do I see meandering away but a black widow. Yikes, I'd been holding the rug.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I was playing soccer a couple years ago, and had to dig into the brush near the field to locate an errant soccer ball, several times. After soccer was over, I made it back home, and into the shower. While in the shower, I glanced down and saw an Arizona bark scorpion sitting on the front of my ankle. How I managed to not get stung, I'll never know.

We find them in the house a couple times a year.

http://imageshack.us/a/img100/1663/220pxbbasgenbarkscorpio.jpg

I'd rather deal with a cockroach any day of the week.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:17 pm
@Ticomaya,
the first time I saw a palmetto bug, I was ready to surrender...

florida has some seriously large bugs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
Me too, me too.

Cockroaches I just don't like, revile is the correct word. Black widows I'm afraid of, thought when I rebuilt our garage I was steadfast about them. I remember a three inch bulbous inflammation from a spider bite when I was a kid. I don't just hate all spiders, though.
Scorpions, I might have to leave.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 09:17 pm
I have been stung by scorpions multiple times. The first time one crawled up my pant leg and stung me twice before I shook it out. The Rockport Texas variety have about the potency of a wasp.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 09:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I admire you and your life, eb.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:45 pm
http://gawker.com/5954113/florida-man-exposes-self-to-cops-to-prove-he-wasnt-masturbating

Note: You should wait until you are actually confronted by the cops before offering to show them anything.

Joe(Lesson learned)Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, hi, osso. Didn't see your post before. I am constantly amazed that so many good people gather on this forum. It far outweighs any negatives.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:52 pm
@Joe Nation,
"Officer, we weren't having oral sex. She was demonstrating how her cat cleans itself."
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 11:51 am
Those clowns caught my monkey Evil or Very Mad

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2012/10/24/mystery_monkey_evade.html

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG --
Tampa Bay's mystery monkey has finally been caught.

The elusive rhesus macaque was darted and captured Wednesday, according to Vernon Yates, a licensed trapper and local wildlife expert.

Yates said the monkey is being taken to the Animal Hospital of Northwood, in Safety Harbor.

Our partner newspaper, the Tampa Bay Times, reported that residents in the Lake Maggiore area had been trying to trap the monkey over the last week.

On Friday, the monkey carefully reached into a cage set to trap him, snatched a banana and slipped away without triggering the trap.

The monkey also evaded the trap a second time. When the door slammed shut behind the monkey, he managed to force it open and escape.

Plans were under way to bring a different kind of bait: A decoy monkey named "Doc." It was not immediately confirmed if "Doc" was a factor in the monkey's capture.

Trappers like Yates had been after the elusive monkey for three years. Attempts to capture it stepped up in the last three weeks after the monkey bit a woman outside her home.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
@jcboy,
Quote:
Those clowns caught my monkey

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 09:08 pm
Living Frog Found Inside Bag of Wal-Mart Salad Greens Speaks Out
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/10/frog-inside-walmart-salad-greens-in-florida.html?mid=grubstreet--20121025
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:04 pm
Quote:
In an absolutely horrifying story, a forensics team has found that a secret graveyard hidden behind a Florida reform school could be home to nearly 50 unidentified bodies of past students. Now, families and former peers of the victims are speaking out to say the deaths were actually caused by abusive school administrators!

more: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d0b_1350384735
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:06 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah. I posted an NPR story on that about 10 days ago on this thread. At this point I wonder if any of those responsible are still alive.
boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 12:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ooops. I missed your post.

I doubt they're still alive because the "students" are all pretty old now.