South Africa stops West Bank goods being labeled "made in Israel"

Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We didn't "steal" anything. We bought our land and home, and we have legal title to it - unlike the stealing of Palestinian lands in Israel.

As with most lands in this world, there are governments that control the legal aspect of land ownership. In the US, our purchase was processed legally.

I said your neighborhood, not your home. My point is that California was once owned by Spain, and lost how?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:26 pm
@Foofie,
Hmmmm.....I see I need to reread the history...haven't looked at it in depth since I was a kid.

Thing is, I don't think tough noogies is going to end up solving anything. It likely would if the big kids didn't have an interest in the noogies.
Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:28 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thing is, I don't think tough noogies is going to end up solving anything. It likely would if the big kids didn't have an interest in the noogies.

Then let the big kids get involved. My suspicion is the big kids secretly like Israel, since Israeli culture treats women with more respect.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:39 pm
@Foofie,
Not the wild and woolly ultra orthodox bit of it.

And I can't see how good capitalists like the US can handle a country that pays its Hasidic men to read holy books and nothing else.

Mind you, I've had a soft spot for the Hasidic folk since devouring Chaim Potok's books about them as a kid.

You still haven't addressed any of my points, really.

Also, as a woman, I am not convinced the western men are really happy with all these free women. Look at the abortion debate in the US right now. I'll be keeping my weapons.

Also, it's not a la mode for the big kids to fight it out themselves any more....they do it from afar.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 02:27 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
My point is not the Palestinean's rights, but the energy some people will focus on the Israelis, and ignore the killing of thousands of Syrians. Now that, in my opinion, is telling of whether one has just "chosen sides," and if so, why?

You have nothing to say about oppression of the Palestinians at all, Foofie?
You don't deny it's happening do you?
Here's one article from Haaretz, published today:
Amnesty International: Israel curbing water to Palestinians:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/amnesty-international-israel-curbing-water-to-palestinians-1.5307
Any comment on this?

How do you know some posters on this thread haven't commented on Assad's abuses of protesters elsewhere, on other threads?
I know I have. I'll bet others have, too.
But why should posting about Syria (or anywhere else, for that matter) qualify or disqualify anyone from posting about Palestinian rights, or human rights abuses of the Burmese people, or the Tibetans, or Australian aboriginals, or ....?

This thread is about trade sanctions aimed at Israel by South Africa.
That's why we're talking about Israel here & not Syria, or any other place.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 03:03 am
@msolga,
And it's wrong. People are concerned about what's going on in Syria, and in Tibet for that matter, it's just that internationally there is very little than can be done. These regimes are not being propped up by the West.

Israel relies on the West, and we can do something about it. It's also a striking example of the West's hypocrisy and lack of even-handedness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 04:40 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
My suspicion is the big kids secretly like Israel, since Israeli culture treats women with more respect.

Ah-hahahahahahahaha . . . what a comedian . . .

From Back of the Bus, Israeli Women Fight Segregation

Bus to Jerusalem stopped after woman refuses to move back

The Ultra-Orthodox in Israel: A Clash of Cultures in the Holy Land

There is none so blind as he who will not see.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 05:48 am
@Setanta,
You could use Foofie's logic, and deduce that he just pretends to be concerned about the Israelis, because it's an acceptable way to express his rampant Islamophobia.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 01:20 pm
@msolga,
They always try to divert the subject when it has to do with atrocities perpetrated by Jews against Palestinians, and I used to think Jews were smart. They think we would forget the topic of this thread.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 06:59 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Oh, was the thread about that?

Couldn't have been. Merry never goes off thread.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What does a bollock look like ?

Like your head, Om. So imagine them side by side hanging in a sack and you've got the look.

Now imagine their capacity for cognitive processes compared to yours and you've got another match; this one dead on.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Actually, now that I think of it

For heaven's sake, Merry, don't do that. You'll ruin your reputation.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:18 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Actually, now that I think of it

For heaven's sake, Merry, don't do that. You'll ruin your reputation.

Oh, I don't care about that. I just don't want to strain myself.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I know that its French.
I don 't speak that language.

But Om, you hold that when we use a borrowed word we momentarily speak that language. You stated as much wrt Latin. You guys - you can't contain your stupidity.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Does that mean that it was a MISTAKE, to have spelled it: David ???

As regards you, Om, Duhvid would be much more appropriate.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It's a tactic that works well, instead of discussing the brutal way the Palestinians are treated, you spend all your time defending yourself from accusations of anti-Semitism.

It works well for all these propagandists. USers constantly throw out the Great Satan routine. But they have an even more effective tactic - the constant stream of "America is great"; "people stream to her shores"; America, the savior of the downtrodden; ... .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:31 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I know that its French.
I don 't speak that language.
JTT wrote:
But Om, you hold that when we use a borrowed word
we momentarily speak that language.
Yes, but its an indefensible exaggeration (that I shall not commit)
to allege that my using a minute number of alien words
means that I speak an alien language, in this case French.
Its to your credit, that u picked that out tho, J.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:32 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Since I do not believe in double standards,

Is that a huge lie or a monstrous joke, Foofie?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:39 pm
@JTT,
DAVID wrote:
Does that mean that it was a MISTAKE, to have spelled it: David ???

JTT wrote:
As regards you, Om, Duhvid would be much more appropriate.
I judge by fonetic fidelity.

So far as I know, no one has pronounced David that way.
If the Hebrews have done so, that is beyond my knowledge.
I know very, very little of their practices.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 07:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
What you are saying, in effect, is that the US is responsible for the plight of yet another group of people.

If you can't bomb them yourself, can't spread WMD upon them, can't invade them yourselves, get a proxy to do it for you.

That's certainly a novel idea. How did the US come up with that one?
0 Replies