South Africa stops West Bank goods being labeled "made in Israel"

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:08 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie, Your world is a very limited one. Here's a good definition of "concentration camp."

Quote:
concentration camp
n.
1. A camp where civilians, enemy aliens, political prisoners, and sometimes prisoners of war are detained and confined, typically under harsh conditions.
2. A place or situation characterized by extremely harsh conditions.

We lived in tar-papered shacks that had no protection from the elements such as snow climate, because we could see the dirt ground under our wooden floors with one pot-bellied coal fed stoves in harsh climate. Some families with 7 - 8 members lived in one room about 25'X25'. Some lived in horse stalls.

Some Japanese-American citizens were shot and killed by the soldiers, because they got too close to the barbed-wire fence.

Most families lost everything they owned except what they could carry to the camps. Our mother had to care for three small children to the camps.

You're an ignoramus!

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Foofie, Your world is a very limited one. Here's a good definition of "concentration camp."

Quote:
concentration camp
n.
1. A camp where civilians, enemy aliens, political prisoners, and sometimes prisoners of war are detained and confined, typically under harsh conditions.
2. A place or situation characterized by extremely harsh conditions.

We lived in tar-papered shacks that had no protection from the elements such as snow climate, because we could see the dirt ground under our wooden floors with one pot-bellied coal fed stoves in harsh climate. Some families with 7 - 8 members lived in one room about 25'X25'. Some lived in horse stalls.

Some Japanese-American citizens were shot and killed by the soldiers, because they got too close to the barbed-wire fence.

Most families lost everything they owned except what they could carry to the camps. Our mother had to care for three small children to the camps.

You're an ignoramus!

No one got gassed, or worked to death.

While living conditions were abhorrent, the lack of concern on my part does not make me an ignoramus. It makes me just an American citizen that believes that there was no way to put all the west coast Japanese in motels. But, based on the concern about saboteurs, the internment camps were the most expeditious thing to do, in my opinion.

I am just not offering you the degree of commiseration that many others would offer you. That does not make me an ignoramus. It makes me just less compassionate towards you than others might be.

The fact that some white Americans were telling Japanese to go back to Japan has nothing to do with me. I care less whether Japanese are in any country, including the US. I do believe that the addition of the Japanese genome to the US gene pool will only result in positive benefits for future American generations. Thank you for your genome.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:38 pm
@Foofie,
Reread the definition, you dummy! It doesn't say prisoners needed to be gassed for it to be called a "concentration camp."

I know about Auschwitz and Birkenau, because I was there last year to read its history, and view the sites.

Did you also know that the 442RCT was the first to arrive at Dachau?
http://hirasaki.net/Family_Stories/442/Dachau.htm
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Birkenau, Dachau, Auschwitz -- those were not "concentration" Camps. They were extermination camps, pure and simple. Nobody was supposed to come out of there alive. That some did is a testament to man's enduring will to survive. The camps for Japanese-Americans here stateside that were so euphemistically refered to as "detention" facilities or "relocation" camps, those were the true concetration camps. No other word fits qute as well.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I agree; the 4 million Jews (and Poles) who were exterminated are a testament to the correct name for those camps.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
As was Basque Redono at Fort Sumner, New Mexico.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:00 pm
@roger,
roger, Thanks for mentioning Basque Redono, because I did a search on it and found the treatment of Native Americans during the mid-1800's. I just returned from a national parks tour that included Crazy Horse Memorial, Deadwood, Tatanka, and Little Big Horn. You can't help but learn about American history when visiting those sites, and Basque Redono expanded my knowledge a little bit more.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:02 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

As was Basque Redono at Fort Sumner, New Mexico.

Concentration camp, you mean, right? Not extermination.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There are plenty of Navajos still living who remember their grandparents talking about their sojourn at Fort Sumner. It was one of the most misguided attempts of the Bureau of Indian Affairs to corral the Navajo in one place where the Army could keep an eye on them all. I assume you and Roger have both taken the Park Service tour of Basque Redondo. (After viewing the grave of Billy the Kid, that is. Smile)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:21 pm
@Foofie,
It's not your lack of concern that is the issue; it's your lack of knowledge. Your opinion of "expeditious" only proves your ignorance of our Constitution. It has nothing to do about your compassion; you have none.

Finally, I never said you made such a statement or suggestion about going back to your own country. It was my experience that I was relating. That's the reason you don't understand compassion.

roger

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Concentration camp. Yeah.

I didn't take a tour, but did have time to wander around the central compound. I was on my way to somewhere else and didn't even have the time to visit Billy's grave, wherever it was.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I had a friend some years ago who's background is white and Cherokee. He lent me a book about their history, and how the US treated them. They were removed from Georgia and transferred to Oklahoma against their will, and many died along the way. This happened from the late 18th century into the 19th century, much before many learned about the mistreatment of Native Americans.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:29 pm
@roger,
It's very centrally located. There's a high wrought-iron fence around it now to discourage souvenir hunters. I was told that the tombstone itself had been stolen several times during the dead of night but always recovered eventually. That's why they decided to put up the fence.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, that's what generally known as "the trail of tears." About a quarter of the Checkoree died on the way to what is now Oklahoma. Here's the kicker -- the Supreme Court of the U.S. had ruled that any such forced relocation would be illegal when Andrew Jackson proposed it. Jackson said, in effect, "let 'em enforce that opinion" and ordered the move anyway. Of course, no one tried to stop him. One of the most despicable presidents we've ever had, yet Hollywood has treated him as a folk hero in several movies.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 09:55 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
You are referring to them as "relocation camps."

Sarcasm, pure and simple, Foofie.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 10:00 pm
@RABEL222,
I understand that you are limited to one sentence per posting, Rabel. Under those circumstances, might you not consider something other than babble.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 10:59 pm
@JTT,
And you think this kind of juvenile rhetoric will keep me from posting my one liners? Dream on. Aint my fault you have a comprehension problem.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 11:02 pm
@RABEL222,
JTT is a broken record; comprehension is a few yards above his head. A parrot sometimes does a better job of repeating itself.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:45 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The term concentration camp was first used by the British during the Boer War. They were harsh work camps that were used for internment.

That was why there wasn't the outcry when Germany set up concentration camps, which originally were similar to the British model. A lot of Germans had even spent a brief time incarcerated in one in the 30s. They were harsh labour camps. They became extermination camps with the adoption of the 'final solution,' later on, during the war.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 03:34 am
@izzythepush,
The concentration camp (using that term) was set up by the Spanish in Cuba in the 1890s. (In the ten years war, it may have been before 1890.)