South Africa stops West Bank goods being labeled "made in Israel"

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
contrex wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Butnot "Is-ray-el." That kind of pronunciation would brand a person as ignorant in most other places of the English-speaking world. The name of the country is pronounced just as it is spelled: Is-ra-el. (Ra as in "rah".)

Sorry, but that's bollocks.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Sorry but that's the only way I've ever heard anyone with a uni education say it.
Geee, I dunno.
Shud that be: THOSE r bollocks ?
or
that is a bollock ?

In NY, we have padlocks and we have combination locks, and safes,
some vaults, but bollocks ?

What does a bollock look like ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:27 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I get it, you're taking the piss.
OmSigDAVID wrote:
What does that expression mean ??
contrex wrote:
Mocking/ridiculing/playing the fool
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thank u.

I wonder how that relates to urination.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:35 pm
@dlowan,
No, I just like those old time digressions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
HOW do u know David to be pronounced in a way that is not odd?

If we met, how 'd u pronounce my name ??

given that you've told us how you pronounce it, I'd follow your preferred pronunciation

I work with a number of men whose name is spelled as yours is. Some pronounce it Day-vid, others are Dah-veed. Some sound like Deh-ved to me (usually some type of Brit). I met a Dah-vid about two weeks ago. I go with what the individual name owner prefers.

I had some trouble wrapping my head around Dah-vid, but that's his name.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:38 pm
Esperanto is probably the only answer.
roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, and like you, I speak it like a native.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:42 pm
@roger,
hamburgboy's father was an advocate of Esperanto. I'll just add it to my current mix of languages - it fits in pretty nicely, since it uses most of them.

I did study it a tiny bit when I was in my teens since Opa was so keen on it (and I was a bit of a language-learning nerd) - wasn't hard at all.
roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I was really showing off my ability to remember that you had made that claim several years ago.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Actually, now that I think of it, Dah-veed is the more phonetic pronunciation of the name 'David.' Day-vid is just an anglicization of what is not, originally, an anglo name. Dah-veed or Dah-vid is how you'd pronounce it in just about any European language I can think of.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:55 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

roger wrote:

So, is the consensus that labeling will, or will not be significant.

Oh, was the thread about that?

Was the thread about what? Don't tell me there's a theme here.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 05:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Don't tell me there's a theme here.

http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=1259

adieu adieu to ieu and ieu and ieu

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 05:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Smile Smile

Good theme, Beth.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 07:11 pm
@dlowan,
But back to the thread subject ... (I hope!)

Quote:
I wonder if this will put anything other than moral pressure on Israel.

Does any such pressure have any chance of affecting Israeli policies?

It's certainly not sounding that way, Deb.
Not at the moment, anyway.
I haven't come across any Israeli defence of Israeli industries in the West Bank (or other occupied territories) in response to Rob Davies's statement ... say nothing of attempting to justify the inaccurate labeling of goods produced in the occupied territories ...

Instead, Israel's Foreign Ministry appears to be shooting the messenger (also making thinly veiled threats?) ... accusing Rob Davies of "racism". (pretty rich , considering the Israeli treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank!)

Quote:
In a sharp reaction yesterday Israel's Foreign Ministry said it would be having a "severe conversation" with the South African ambassador in Tel Aviv and the Ministry's spokesman Yigal Palmor said the move had "characteristics of racism". ...

While South Africa is not one of Israel's major trading partners, the move is a political victory for pro-Palestinian groups there, which campaigned for it over the last year along with a Palestinian organisation operating in the West Bank, the Popular Struggle Co-ordination Committee.

Israel's fury over trade ban on West Bank produce:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israels-fury-over-trade-ban-on-west-bank-produce-7769703.html

And Davies has been accused of being a typical left-wing Jew, undermining Diaspora Jews & the state of Israel! (In fact, it appears he was wrongly identified as being Jewish.)

Quote:
Danny Dayan, chairman of the Yesha Council of West Bank settlements, used Davies' decision as an the opportunity to delegitimize Diaspora Jews who connect settlements to Jewish ethics. "How unsurprising that Davies is Jewish," Dayan declared last Saturday. "Once again it has been proven that radical left-wing Jews are very gleefully spearheading the propaganda campaign against the State of Israel. That's what is happening at J Street, and also with Davies and Goldstone in South Africa." Actually, Davies is not Jewish. Dayan relied on mistaken information published last week on Haaretz's website, which was corrected the next morning.

The writer of this article goes on to give other reasons why consumers should not choose Israeli products produced in the West Bank & other occupied territories.:

Quote:
If the fact that industrial zones are located in the occupied territories is not reason enough for consumers to choose other products, the State Comptroller's report released at the beginning of this month provides a slew of other reasons for doing so. The section on industrial zones, which did not get enough exposure, has the heading "a jungle in the villa," borrowing somewhat liberally from Defense Minister Ehud Barak's description of Israel as a villa in the jungle.

Here is a brief summary: the report quotes from a letter in which the head of the Samaria Regional Council, Gershon Mesika, describes the situation of the Alei Zahav industrial zone: "Might makes right." The World Zionist Organization's settlement department told the comptroller that several trespassers have settled in the area, including some criminal elements, and noted that the WZO lacks "the tools to prevent trespassing and illegal construction." A document prepared by the Municipal Environmental Associations of Judea and Samaria lists the problems originating from this industrial zone: emissions of air pollutants; flow of domestic sewage into the collection system, inadequate facilities in some plants and failure to deal with dust particle emissions. There were also serious environmental problems uncovered at the Mesila industrial zone, as well as plants functioning without operating or construction permits there. ...

West Bank isn't in Israel, but its factories, somehow, are:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/features/west-bank-isn-t-in-israel-but-its-factories-somehow-are-1.431824

According to this article from Haaretz, Israel's Foreign Ministry says that supporters of Israel will be campaigning within South Africa to have the directive over-turned.

Quote:
Israel will try in the coming months to cancel the decision. According to the South African law, the fact that the decision is a government directive and not a law passed in parliament means that citizens can lodge objections with 60 days.

"Pro-Israel groups are organizing in South Africa in order to present objections in an orderly manner to try to cancel the directive or change it," an official in Israel's Foreign Ministry told Haaretz on Saturday.

Denmark to ban labeling West Bank products as 'Made in Israel', report says:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/denmark-to-ban-labeling-west-bank-products-as-made-in-israel-report-says-1.431372
dlowan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 07:25 pm
@msolga,
That response is SOP for Israel, though. I think everyone expected it. What was kind of funny to me was that they thought he was Jewish and so accused him of the left wing thing rather than the normal anti-Semitic schtick that Israeli authorities and Israeli and international supporters of continued occupation and " settlement" habitually use if Israeli policy and actions are criticized.

I have seen lots more on the subject but haven't bothered bringing it here because the topic has hitherto not generated the discussion I hoped and because I am mostly on my iPad these days and I find it hard to copy and paste stuff on the iPad.

I am interested that Denmark is apparently planning to do the same thing, that an English store went further and that the action has aroused debate where it usually doesn't...

Not that I have great hopes for the action, but I do know the ANC in South Africa strongly supported economic and other sanctions against the apartheid regime even though their people suffered the most.
msolga

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 07:39 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I have seen lots more on the subject but haven't bothered bringing it here because the topic has hitherto not generated the discussion I hoped ...

Yes, I can understand why you wouldn't.
It's very frustrating.
I wish this issue could be seriously addressed here as the human rights issue which it actually is.
NOT whether we're pro or anti the state of Israel, politics, religion, whether you're anti-semitic or not, or whatever other smoke screen is usually thrown up to avoid facing what is actually occurring in the West Bank & other occupied territories.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
HOW do u know David to be pronounced in a way that is not odd?

If we met, how 'd u pronounce my name ??
ehBeth wrote:
given that you've told us how you pronounce it, I'd follow your preferred pronunciation

I work with a number of men whose name is spelled as yours is. Some pronounce it Day-vid,
Now that u mention it,
there IS a very slight difference between David and Day-vid.
My ex-girlfriend, Maralyn, used to pronounce it: "Daaaaaay-vid,"
before she hit me up for money in the morning.
That difference had never occurred to me b4 u mentioned it.

ehBeth wrote:
others are Dah-veed.
My God-mother, from Spain,
pronounced it that way. The accent was on the 2nd syllable.

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 09:28 pm

Something that seems odd to me
is that, since modern Israel got started in 1948,
thay 've been describing their citizens as being: "Israelis" instead of "ISRAELITES" as it says in the Bible.

Does anyone know the reason
that thay chose to DO that ??

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Probably for the very reason that you cite, David -- to make a clear distinction between the historical people and present-day inhabitants of Israel. Might be confusing otherwise. I hear the word "Israelite" and I immediately think of Bible stories.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Probably for the very reason that you cite, David -- to make a clear distinction between the historical people and present-day inhabitants of Israel. Might be confusing otherwise. I hear the word "Israelite" and I immediately think of Bible stories.
I understand the distinction that u have in mind,
but in furtherance of that desire, Y not call it something entirely different, if thay wanna avoid that confusion ?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
but in furtherance of that desire, Y not call it something entirely different, if thay wanna avoid that confusion ?

Like what? Israelis seems the most logical to me. Unless you prefer Israelians for some strange reason. We call the people of Iraq Iraqis, after all.