South Africa stops West Bank goods being labeled "made in Israel"

Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 07:59 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

What happened in 1966?

Plenty...Australia adopted decimal currency for instance.

But seriously, most peace proposals recommend Israel accept the borders it had prior to the six day war, which occurred in 1967.

In the six day war israel did so well that it ended up with a lot more territory than it began with. Some of this territory is still in dispute today.

Bet the Egyptians wish they never started that one!

The original "hour-glass" shape of Israel is why the Babylonians successfully got those ten tribes as slaves (they weren't lost). The Koans (high priests) and Levites (the temple building maintenance) were left alone, and the Babylonians got the ten other tribes in the north (or south?) of that slender hour-glass waist. So, the territory taken was to prevent that happening again. The fact that thousands of years passed means nothing to the Israelis, since everyone knows that elephants and Jews never forget.
Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Doesn't matter; they keep stealing Palestinian lands, and they don't have the freedom to move around in their own country. That's not a "democracy" by any stretch of that term.

Proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szp7hXBuTCw

Isn't your neighborhood Spanish territory?
Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Foofie wrote:
. . .since Hitler couldn't finish his job, the solution was to let the Jews have Israel, and maybe the Arabs will finish the job, in my opinion. That's not romantic either.

You're right. That's not romantic. That's paranoid.

Or, realistic. But, you must know better.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yep...no argument there. And it's paranoia and chest beating from both sides that is so damaging.

Do you really support everything that Israel is doing Merry?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:08 pm
@Foofie,
Yah, good point about the "hour-glass" shape of Israel. Just on the off-chance that somebody might be interested in my own opinion on the whole matter (which I have so far not yet voiced), here it is:

The West Bank (so-called) is and of right ought to be a part of Israel. Jordan was called Transjordan until 66 years ago today (yup, May 25, 1946). It has no business claiming terrirory on the other side of the Jordan river. Jerusalem is, has always been and of right ought to be the capital of Israel.

That said, Israel has absolutely no business claiming anything approaching sovereignty or even control over the Gaza strip or, on the other end, the Golan Heights. Get the Israeli troops out of there and let the UN keep the peace.
Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:08 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

You see, that's where we forever part company.

Israels actions deeply affect the rest of the world. The world does have the right to have opinions and to do what it can to effect change.

Your argument, apart from its emotional appeal, is no better than the US telling people they have no right to criticize US foreign policy becuause only the US knows what is best for it.

That would be like African leaders telling the world it had no right to have opinions or to attempt to effect change in their policies, even when they are slaughtering and oppressing large numbers of people, because Africa was once plundered for slaves.

Or Ireland claiming the same because it was oppressed by England.

Yes, every sovereign nation knows what is best for it. Minding one's own business might be correct when talking about a people that were pariahs for two thousand years due to the ethnocentrism that evolved in Christian Europe for the descendants of those wandering Germanic tribes.

And, Ireland has every right to not like Britain for the genocide it committed during the famine. Food was being exported while Irish were starving to death, and forced to survive in forests in the winter, having been kicked out of their homes.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:11 pm
@msolga,
Plus it's so damn USELESS setting up some manichean contest here!!!!

Sure, some pro-Palestine people are going to be that way because they don't like Jews....just as people are going to be blindly anti Palestinian because they hate arabs, or muslims.....

But, lots of us are not really pro either, we are pro bloody making some sort of settlement that is the least worse that can be brokered at the time and not immediately taking your toys home when some splinter group or idiot from either side does something horrible.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:12 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Being pro-Palestinean is an ethical way to be anti-Israel, without thinking one is anti-Semitic, in my opinion.

That's precisely what I meant in an earlier post here.
One of the usual smokescreen arguments to avoid addressing Palestinians' human rights.
How can you willfully not acknowledge that the rights of Palestinians have been abused in the West Bank? How much evidence of that do you need?
It has nothing to do with antisemitism.
It is about how the Palestinians have been treated by the occupying Israelis.

My point is not the Palestinean's rights, but the energy some people will focus on the Israelis, and ignore the killing of thousands of Syrians. Now that, in my opinion, is telling of whether one has just "chosen sides," and if so, why?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:12 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Yep...no argument there. And it's paranoia and chest beating from both sides that is so damaging.

Do you really support everything that Israel is doing Merry?

Had not seen that post when I typed my previous one, Deb.

No, of course, I don't support everything that Israel is doing. But some of the things that they're criticized for are no more than sensible self-defence moves. There will always be individuals who violate human rights of people they fear. I don't believe that that is Israeli policy. It just happens and is to be roundlycondemned.
Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Foofie wrote:
. . .since Hitler couldn't finish his job, the solution was to let the Jews have Israel, and maybe the Arabs will finish the job, in my opinion. That's not romantic either.

You're right. That's not romantic. That's paranoid.

It's understandable paranoia though.

Thing is, dlowan, in this on-going argument I find myself more often siding with Foofie contra you. Unusual, but there it is. However, I can't let blatant conspiracy theory statements pass by. Not in my nature. Understandable or not, paranoia is paranoia.

The lack of paranoia resulted in many believing that Hitler was just that man with a moustache. Only the paranoid German Jews were alive after the war.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Yah, good point about the "hour-glass" shape of Israel. Just on the off-chance that somebody might be interested in my own opinion on the whole matter (which I have so far not yet voiced), here it is:

The West Bank (so-called) is and of right ought to be a part of Israel. Jordan was called Transjordan until 66 years ago today (yup, May 25, 1946). It has no business claiming terrirory on the other side of the Jordan river. Jerusalem is, has always been and of right ought to be the capital of Israel.

That said, Israel has absolutely no business claiming anything approaching sovereignty or even control over the Gaza strip or, on the other end, the Golan Heights. Get the Israeli troops out of there and let the UN keep the peace.

Cool. I thought Jordan had renounced territorial "rights" after the six day war?

Like I said, I am no buff on this subject, so I am likely wrong.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:14 pm
@Foofie,
We didn't "steal" anything. We bought our land and home, and we have legal title to it - unlike the stealing of Palestinian lands in Israel.

As with most lands in this world, there are governments that control the legal aspect of land ownership. In the US, our purchase was processed legally.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:16 pm
@Foofie,
That's not answering my point.

People have the right to be mad over all sorts of things...it doesn't mean they are not subject to criticism and attempts to change their actions.

Also, if every country knows what is best for it, why are you complaining about the actions of Iran and the Palestinians, for example?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:17 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Cool. I thought Jordan had renounced territorial "rights" after the six day war?

Jordan may have renounced its claims, but the Palestinians still insist that the W. Bank is somehow theirs, not Israel's.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No, I hadn't. But I have now and commented on it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ok....like I said, I'm no buff.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:19 pm
Hey....are we actually discussing Israel/Palestinians without anyone much screaming slogans at each other?
Foofie

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:21 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

... They're doing what all settlers in countries like mine and yours for instance did. Displacing the indigenous population and claiming the land.

As I read, Israel was like a back-alley under the Ottoman Empire. When the Zionist Jews first started to buy land from the Ottoman Empire in Palestine, there was a negligible population of Arabs. The Arabs got nervous when they saw this flood of Jews arriving like swallows returning to Capistrano. That's when the Arab population increased. And, they decided they are all Palestineans. So, initially European Jews called themselves Israelis, and Arabs from elsewhere called themselves Palestineans. It was a lovely masquerade ball of sorts, in my opinion. So, there was not a sizable indigenous population. However, the early land, prior to WWI, was bought from the Ottoman Empire, and the Balfour Declaration was what resulted in Israel being a Zionist State. And, as we see in history, the victor (from the '67 war) gets more land. It's called tough noogies for those versed in New York idioms.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:21 pm
@dlowan,
In view of the subject matter, are miracles really that surprising?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 08:22 pm
@Foofie,
What's your answer, Foofie?

Sounds like it's Israel keep everything, settlers settle at will, the wall is great, keep attacking each other as per now?

0 Replies