Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:53 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I really think a confrontation between America and the Axis powers
would have happened sooner or later.
Yes.
That 's a fact.

izzythepush wrote:
That was one of the reasons Roosevelt wanted us to keep fighting.
Yes, again.

izzythepush wrote:
When Joe Kennedy was the ambassador and there was talk of Britain collapsing
there were some very dodgy suggestions
WHAT kind of suggestions ????

izzythepush wrote:
from the White House to the Canadian prime minister about seizing British vessels and hunkering down.

In terms of rocket development, if nothing else Nazi Germany was way ahead of the rest of the world. The Germans and the Japanese had been working on nuclear weapons, if America had stayed out for another couple of years, God knows what might have happened.

The thing is David, none of this has any relevance to the thread, it's just Foofie's way of avoiding the issue, and trying to score a few points. In that he's typical of a particular type of stupid American one bumps up against on the internet now and again. They think they're being original but they're just being hackneyed and cliched.

We should all be grateful to all the men and women who fought to free the world from the Nazi menace regardless of their nationality, whether they were British, American, Australian, Indian, French, Norwegian, Czech, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Greek, Malay, Yugoslavian, New Zealand, Canadian, Egyptian, Icelandic, Burmese, Chinese or Soviet. That's not all of them by a long chalk, because it took all that to beat the Axis powers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.
We shud also be grateful to those who fought the onslaught of communist slavery.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:56 am
@Foofie,
Setanta and I don't agree on many things, but his description of you is spot on.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:59 am
@izzythepush,
I 'd not allege that Setanta
has any SPOTs on him,
( but then again, I cud be rong ).
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 02:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
This thread isn't about WW2, or Foofie's revisionist interpretation of such. Neither is it about Setanta's whimsicality. It's about the criminal behaviour of the Israeli government, and why many people feel the need to observe the boycott. This is the sort of thing that occurs almost daily.

Quote:
On Wednesday, May 23, a group of Israeli settlers forcefully occupied the home of a Palestinian family near the illegal Tel Rumeida colony in the Palestinian city of Hebron. In an incident that lasted 3 hours, settlers forced their way into the house and began physically and verbally abusing the family. The family was evacuated by Israeli soldiers. The settlers then blocked the entrance, preventing the family from entering the premises.

At 6p.m., Muhammed Toma Aburmeli was working in his shop in Tel Rumeida when he received a call from his distressed wife requesting that he come home immediately. As he returned home he saw his wife and young children standing near checkpoint Gilbert, with his home surrounded by Israeli soldiers. Looking closer at the entrance of his home, Muhammed saw a large group of young Israeli settlers standing outside his doorstep and preventing the family from entering.

At approximately 5:30 p.m., Muhammed’s wife, Merfat Muhammed Aburmeli, and 4 children, the eldest only 8 years old, were inside their new home located on the same road as the illegal Tel Rumeida settlement. The family was preparing to move furniture into the house. As the preparations were underway a group of 15 to 20 settlers no older than the age of 16 stormed into the house.

The settlers immediately confronted the frightened family, insulting them and demanding that they leave the home. The young settlers repeatedly claimed that the land is theirs and that the Palestinian family has no right to live here. As well as the verbal barrage, the settlers began to violently push Muhammed’s wife and her children.

The harassment lasted 10 minutes before Israeli soldiers intervened. Checkpoint Gilbert is only 3 metres from the house so this can be considered a slow response on behalf of the soldiers.

Israeli military arrived and the settlers continued to abuse the family. The first thing the soldiers did was evacuate the Aburmeli family, rather than force the settlers to leave. The family was then ordered by the military not to return to their house until the settlers were gone.

The Israeli soldiers requested that the settlers leave. The young Israeli settlers ignored the request and ran through the house causing damage. Ten minutes passed before soldiers resorted to physical means to force them out of the home. The settlers showed resistance, shoving soldiers as they dragged them out.

After evacuating the premises, soldiers locked the house’s door. The young settlers then blocked the entrance to the home from the outside. The Israeli military made no effort to disperse the group and instead soldiers surrounded the house.

When Muhammed arrived at the scene he asked the soldiers what was happening. The soldiers shrugged off his question and instead demanded that he show identification. After handing back his ID card, he too was told to go stand with his family and wait for the soldiers to diffuse the situation.

Soldiers made no efforts to remove the settlers, and Muhammed and his family were left standing outside and waiting for almost 3 hours before the settlers began to leave by themselves at 8:30 p.m.

Muhammed, Merfat, and their young children returned to their home. They say that what is upsetting is not only the behaviour of the illegal Israeli settlers, but the incompetent reaction of the Israeli army. This harassment, however, is not a new ordeal for the Aburmeli family. Only one day before, settlers damaged a window of their home by hitting it with sticks. In their last home, located nearby, settlers similarly blocked the entrance on more than one occasion.

Families living near the illegal Tel Rumeida settlement, which occupied a section of houses and roads in downtown Hebron, have long been the subject of abuse and discrimination coming from both the settlers and Israeli policies. Currently, only 2 Palestinian families remain living in what is now the Israeli settlement.

These 2 families are not permitted visitors, even family members, because all other Palestinians are prevented by Israeli soldiers from entering. These families in particular face abuse by the Israeli settlers on a regular basis. It can be difficult for the families even just to walk without being pelted by stones or being subject to insults.

Muhammed fears that incidents such as these will continue to occur, but says that no matter what happens he will never leave his home because he, as well as other Palestinians, has a right to live in freedom, peace, and dignity in his own land, and illegal settlers can not force them to leave. He finishes by saying, “if they wish to do worse, then let them, because we will not leave. As the olive tree will continue to live here, we Palestinians will continue to live here.”

http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/hebron-israeli-settlers-occupy-palestinian-home/
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 03:11 am
Yes, i'm sure that when your bullshit is exposed, you prefer to think of that as whimsy.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 03:16 am
@Setanta,
And when others respond to a you post intended for me you throw a wobbly. My response was to Foofie, and as a response to Foofie was entirely justified. You just wanted to stick your oar in.

Instead of pandering to your montrous ego, why don't you discuss the topic of the thread?
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 03:54 am
@izzythepush,
I "stuck my oar in" because you were peddling bullshit. Too bad, so sad, get over it.

This is no longer a thread which discusses South Africa's labelling requirements, that ceased long ago. You just want to make it an omnibus thread about the monstrous treatment of the Palestinians. Nothing obliges me to play that game, and that is not necessarily the topic of the thread.

If you were at all honest, you'd start your own thread on the topic. That would require a certain amount of honesty and courage on your part, so i can see why you'd be reluctant. People long ago ceased to discuss the specific topic of this thread.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 04:05 am
@Setanta,
The bullshit is coming from you. This is about the boycott, so it's important to point out the reasons for the boycott.

As for all this WW2 diversion, we were under no obligation to continue fighting after the fall of France. Hitler really wanted to make peace so he could concentrate all his efforts on the USSR. Roosevelt was desperate to keep us in the war, and if you had done the right thing then and there, the Nazis would have been defeated sooner.

You seem to have a problem differentiating between an obligation, and what's morally right.
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 04:27 am
@izzythepush,
If you people had done the right thing, you'd have invaded Germany in September, 1939. He had a paltry ten divisions to defend a frontier that ran from the Ardennes to Switzerland. Instead you sat around wringing your hands in what the Germans rightfully called the sitting war. The one person in a position of power at the time with any sense was Joe Stalin. He waited to see what the western allies would do, and when he saw that they would do nothing, he joined Hitler in carving up Poland.

Had the IGS and the French shown any spine, then deffinitely the Nazis would have been defeated. As i recall, Churchill was also desparate to "keep you in the war" once he got in office. England declared war because of their treaty obligation to Poland. So you now suggest that, having thrown Poland to the dogs, England should have made a separate peace? Just the sort of spineless, selfish behavior one can expect from the English, no?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 08:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
This thread isn't about WW2, or Foofie's revisionist interpretation of such. Neither is it about Setanta's whimsicality. It's about the criminal behaviour of the Israeli government, and why many people feel the need to observe the boycott. This is the sort of thing that occurs almost daily.

Quote:
On Wednesday, May 23, a group of Israeli settlers forcefully occupied the home of a Palestinian family near the illegal Tel Rumeida colony in the Palestinian city of Hebron. In an incident that lasted 3 hours, settlers forced their way into the house and began physically and verbally abusing the family. The family was evacuated by Israeli soldiers. The settlers then blocked the entrance, preventing the family from entering the premises.

At 6p.m., Muhammed Toma Aburmeli was working in his shop in Tel Rumeida when he received a call from his distressed wife requesting that he come home immediately. As he returned home he saw his wife and young children standing near checkpoint Gilbert, with his home surrounded by Israeli soldiers. Looking closer at the entrance of his home, Muhammed saw a large group of young Israeli settlers standing outside his doorstep and preventing the family from entering.

At approximately 5:30 p.m., Muhammed’s wife, Merfat Muhammed Aburmeli, and 4 children, the eldest only 8 years old, were inside their new home located on the same road as the illegal Tel Rumeida settlement. The family was preparing to move furniture into the house. As the preparations were underway a group of 15 to 20 settlers no older than the age of 16 stormed into the house.

The settlers immediately confronted the frightened family, insulting them and demanding that they leave the home. The young settlers repeatedly claimed that the land is theirs and that the Palestinian family has no right to live here. As well as the verbal barrage, the settlers began to violently push Muhammed’s wife and her children.

The harassment lasted 10 minutes before Israeli soldiers intervened. Checkpoint Gilbert is only 3 metres from the house so this can be considered a slow response on behalf of the soldiers.

Israeli military arrived and the settlers continued to abuse the family. The first thing the soldiers did was evacuate the Aburmeli family, rather than force the settlers to leave. The family was then ordered by the military not to return to their house until the settlers were gone.

The Israeli soldiers requested that the settlers leave. The young Israeli settlers ignored the request and ran through the house causing damage. Ten minutes passed before soldiers resorted to physical means to force them out of the home. The settlers showed resistance, shoving soldiers as they dragged them out.

After evacuating the premises, soldiers locked the house’s door. The young settlers then blocked the entrance to the home from the outside. The Israeli military made no effort to disperse the group and instead soldiers surrounded the house.

When Muhammed arrived at the scene he asked the soldiers what was happening. The soldiers shrugged off his question and instead demanded that he show identification. After handing back his ID card, he too was told to go stand with his family and wait for the soldiers to diffuse the situation.

Soldiers made no efforts to remove the settlers, and Muhammed and his family were left standing outside and waiting for almost 3 hours before the settlers began to leave by themselves at 8:30 p.m.

Muhammed, Merfat, and their young children returned to their home. They say that what is upsetting is not only the behaviour of the illegal Israeli settlers, but the incompetent reaction of the Israeli army. This harassment, however, is not a new ordeal for the Aburmeli family. Only one day before, settlers damaged a window of their home by hitting it with sticks. In their last home, located nearby, settlers similarly blocked the entrance on more than one occasion.

Families living near the illegal Tel Rumeida settlement, which occupied a section of houses and roads in downtown Hebron, have long been the subject of abuse and discrimination coming from both the settlers and Israeli policies. Currently, only 2 Palestinian families remain living in what is now the Israeli settlement.

These 2 families are not permitted visitors, even family members, because all other Palestinians are prevented by Israeli soldiers from entering. These families in particular face abuse by the Israeli settlers on a regular basis. It can be difficult for the families even just to walk without being pelted by stones or being subject to insults.

Muhammed fears that incidents such as these will continue to occur, but says that no matter what happens he will never leave his home because he, as well as other Palestinians, has a right to live in freedom, peace, and dignity in his own land, and illegal settlers can not force them to leave. He finishes by saying, “if they wish to do worse, then let them, because we will not leave. As the olive tree will continue to live here, we Palestinians will continue to live here.”

http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/hebron-israeli-settlers-occupy-palestinian-home/
The 3 things that I know of this r:

1. it is not my fight

and

2. I remain ignorant of what arguments
each side to the dispute 'd present in support
of its respective position, qua morality or legality.

I am not a member of either ethnic group.
I shud not form an opinion of the situation that u mentioned
without first seeing all the evidence and considering all of the arguments thereupon based

and

3. I am not getting paid to make that judgment.

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 08:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
. . . This is about the boycott,
so it's important to point out the reasons for the boycott.
I dunno how to boycott.

So far as I can remember,
I 've never been presented with any product offered for sale
from the victim of your boycott.

David
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Just the sort of spineless, selfish behavior one can expect from the English, no?

**** off, you wanker.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:14 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Setanta and I don't agree on many things, but his description of you is spot on.

In my opinion, you are being a yenta; you could leave Sentanta's opinion out of your gratuitous comment about me.
Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:17 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I "stuck my oar in" because you were peddling bullshit. Too bad, so sad, get over it.

This is no longer a thread which discusses South Africa's labelling requirements, that ceased long ago. You just want to make it an omnibus thread about the monstrous treatment of the Palestinians. Nothing obliges me to play that game, and that is not necessarily the topic of the thread.

If you were at all honest, you'd start your own thread on the topic. That would require a certain amount of honesty and courage on your part, so i can see why you'd be reluctant. People long ago ceased to discuss the specific topic of this thread.

I thought this thread was about whether Izzy should thank the US for saving Britain in two world wars in the 20th century?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:21 pm
@Foofie,

izzythepush wrote:
Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, you are being a yenta;
you could leave Sentanta's opinion out of your gratuitous comment about me.
What is a "yenta" ?
Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You seem to have a problem differentiating between an obligation, and what's morally right.

Oh, pshaw! Obligation is often in the eyes of the recipient. Or, more to the point, the belief in an obligation is just injustice collecting, since it sets one up for disappointment. And, how can anyone question the US from a moral position when the entire British Empire was based on colonial Machiavellianism?

Plus, if one criticizes Israel, one is also criticizing Britain, since it was Britain's Balfour Declaration that resulted in a Zionist State. Am I to believe that Britain thought that putting a bunch of European Jews in the middle of 300 million Arabs was going to result in them all playing Ring Around the Rosie? [A pocket full of posies.]
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:30 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you people had done the right thing, you'd have invaded Germany in September, 1939. He had a paltry ten divisions to defend a frontier that ran from the Ardennes to Switzerland. Instead you sat around wringing your hands in what the Germans rightfully called the sitting war. The one person in a position of power at the time with any sense was Joe Stalin. He waited to see what the western allies would do, and when he saw that they would do nothing, he joined Hitler in carving up Poland.

Had the IGS and the French shown any spine, then deffinitely the Nazis would have been defeated. As i recall, Churchill was also desparate to "keep you in the war" once he got in office. England declared war because of their treaty obligation to Poland. So you now suggest that, having thrown Poland to the dogs, England should have made a separate peace? Just the sort of spineless, selfish behavior one can expect from the English, no?

Spineless? Perhaps, just self-serving? In my opinion, I would never expect the British to act nobly, since monarchys may have little incentive to act nobly. The country is too wrapped up in their pomp and circumstance in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

izzythepush wrote:
Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, you are being a yenta;
you could leave Sentanta's opinion out of your gratuitous comment about me.
What is a "yenta" ?

Yiddish for a gossip. In Fiddler On the Roof, one of the characters was Yenta the Matchmaker, implying she gossiped about everyone, gathering knowledge as to who should be matched to who.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:14 pm
@Foofie,
Thank u; is Yiddish similar to the Hebrew language ?
Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Thank u; is Yiddish similar to the Hebrew language ?

No. It is a 15th century, or thereabouts, dialect of German, written in Hebrew characters. I thought it reflected that the first/early Jewish settlements in Europe were in Germany in the pre-Christian era.