South Africa stops West Bank goods being labeled "made in Israel"

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 02:28 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You are a moron, by the time you entered the fray the threat of invasion had passed. The Nazis were bogged down in Russia.

Remember we declared war as a matter of principle, and held our nerve in the dark days of 1940 when we stood alone. You entered the war because you were bombed by the Japanese. Big difference.

Instead of expecting gratitude, you should apologise for taking so long.
In your vu,
what 'd have happened, if America had not provoked the Japs into a war ?

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 02:33 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
And Joe Kennedy, [Roosevelt's ambassador] US ambassador in London, had ties with Hitler.
We 'd have been a lot better off
if he'd moved over there, with his whole family
(especially Mary Jo Kopechne! very pretty blonde)
and a lot of brave, betrayed Cuban Freedom Fighters.

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 02:49 pm
@Setanta,
Seventy to eighty million sure sounds like a lot to me!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I really think a confrontation between America and the Axis powers would have happened sooner or later. That was one of the reasons Roosevelt wanted us to keep fighting. When Joe Kennedy was the ambassador and there was talk of Britain collapsing there were some very dodgy suggestions from the White House to the Canadian prime minister about seizing British vessels and hunkering down.

In terms of rocket development, if nothing else Nazi Germany was way ahead of the rest of the world. The Germans and the Japanese had been working on nuclear weapons, if America had stayed out for another couple of years, God knows what might have happened.

The thing is David, none of this has any relevance to the thread, it's just Foofie's way of avoiding the issue, and trying to score a few points. In that he's typical of a particular type of stupid American one bumps up against on the internet now and again. They think they're being original but they're just being hackneyed and cliched.

We should all be grateful to all the men and women who fought to free the world from the Nazi menace regardless of their nationality, whether they were British, American, Australian, Indian, French, Norwegian, Czech, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Greek, Malay, Yugoslavian, New Zealand, Canadian, Egyptian, Icelandic, Burmese, Chinese or Soviet. That's not all of them by a long chalk, because it took all that to beat the Axis powers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:27 pm
@izzythepush,
izzy, Well said, and I agree.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you. WW2 is something that should unite us, not something to score points off each other.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:38 pm
@izzythepush,
Really fine post, izzie. Agree 100%
And with this:
Quote:
WW2 is something that should unite us, not something to score points off each other.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:04 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You are a moron, by the time you entered the fray the threat of invasion had passed. The Nazis were bogged down in Russia.

Remember we declared war as a matter of principle, and held our nerve in the dark days of 1940 when we stood alone. You entered the war because you were bombed by the Japanese. Big difference.

How does the Pacific theatre equate to the US assisting Britain with lend lease, and then boots on the ground, and our Air Force? If the US just fought the Japanese, the war in Europe would have had a different outcome, in my opinion. The US entered the war, since Germany declared war on the US, I thought?

Since you claim that the US "took so long" to join the European theatre, what are you basing our need to apologize? We are not a Commonwealth country. The only tie to Britain is likely based on many families having ancestors that came from Britain; however, that owes Britain nothing, except in the minds of Anglophiles, perhaps.

Let me put it another way, if the Nazis were not so obsessed with their Aryan pedigree, German Jews would not have been leaving in droves, and guess who would have had the bomb first? London would have glowed in the dark, perhaps. My point being, as it turned out, the US did save Britain's arse, since the US had the factories and manpower to turn out the weapons needed to fight the Nazis. I accept your humble thank you.
Foofie

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:06 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

And Joe Kennedy, US ambassador in London, had ties with Hitler.

The Kennedys are not all Americans number one prestigious family. What's your point?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:08 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Seventy to eighty million sure sounds like a lot to me!

Not if one accepts that the US was a Protestant nation before 1850, and actually still is.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Thank you. WW2 is something that should unite us, not something to score points off each other.

Oh; you had an epiphany?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:12 pm
@dlowan,
It's not nearly so many as 100,000,000 plus--you are also ignoring the figure advanced by the Barna group which puts the figure under 25,000,000. Although that may sound like a lot, it's not enough to sway a national election. I'm mostly objecting to an unjustified characterization of the United States as being in thrall to lunatic fringe christians.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:16 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

That's bullshit--i don't claim we're due any gratitude, but we were under no obligation to haul your ass out of the fire in 1939 or -40. We owed you nothing. Roosevelt entered the war in Europe because Hitler stupidly handed him an engraved invitation, and because he correctly saw it as in our national interest.

No apology is due.
Foofie

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It's not nearly so many as 100,000,000 plus--you are also ignoring the figure advanced by the Barna group which puts the figure under 25,000,000. Although that may sound like a lot, it's not enough to sway a national election. I'm mostly objecting to an unjustified characterization of the United States as being in thrall to lunatic fringe christians.

Well, 100,000,000 sounds more like the US Catholic population, and many of that demographic seems to have decided that US exceptionalism is not their vision for the US. That's not fringe Christians; however, it might just alienate some of the mainstream WASPs who still think of American exceptionalism as the role of the US. Let's just hope there is not another defenestration.

By the way, from another thread. I remembered it was Wallenstein's army that decimated Prussia to the point of accounts of cannabalism amongst the civilians.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:36 pm
@Setanta,
Apology accepted.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

That's bullshit--i don't claim we're due any gratitude, but we were under no obligation to haul your ass out of the fire in 1939 or -40. We owed you nothing. Roosevelt entered the war in Europe because Hitler stupidly handed him an engraved invitation, and because he correctly saw it as in our national interest.

No apology is due.

I think the gratitude was shown by all the war brides that wound up living in the US, rather that try to marry and raise a family in a country that had the sun more than set on its empire, after the war. Living in the US meant that one did not have to spend that much energy in "keeping up appearances." Let me say think you for the additions to the US gene pool.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:43 pm
@Foofie,
Any sentence which you begin with the expression "I think . . ." will inevitably be irrelevant to the discussion, and predictably idiotic. Once again, you haven't disappointed in that regard.
Foofie

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Any sentence which you begin with the expression "I think . . ." will inevitably be irrelevant to the discussion, and predictably idiotic. Once again, you haven't disappointed in that regard.

Oohh, oohh (mimicking Toodie from Car 54 Where Are You), Setanta graced me with a putdown. Ooohh, ooohh!
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:37 pm
@Foofie,
Ahhh, the memories! Smile It's time for a song ... Razz

Joe E. Ross -- "Ooh Ooh"

P U Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:52 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Oohh, oohh (mimicking Toodie from Car 54 Where Are You), Setanta graced me with a putdown. Ooohh, ooohh!

This means Setanta is full of grace! Wink Mr. Green
0 Replies