South Africa stops West Bank goods being labeled "made in Israel"

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:26 pm
@Foofie,
In Germany, when did the Christian Era begin ?

Is either Yiddish or Hebrew a fonetic language ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:37 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
No. It is a 15th century, or thereabouts, dialect of German, written in Hebrew characters. I thought it reflected that the first/early Jewish settlements in Europe were in Germany in the pre-Christian era.
It's a kind of Middle High German dialect, originally called jiddisch-daitsch ('Jewish German), spoken by Ashkenazi Jews around 1100. It had some Hebrew elements added, later Aramaic, Romance and Slavic elements as well.

The first known Jew in Germany was the merchant "Isaac" at the court of Charlemagne (around 800), the following kings/emperors gave various privileges to Jews (e.g. for slave trade) but the first synagogues weren't established before 1012 (in Cologne) followed by those in Worms (1034) and Treves (1066).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 02:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
. . . the first synagogues weren't established before 1012 (in Cologne) . . .
Its having its 1OOOth Anniversary !

I wonder if thay r celebrating !
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 02:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
There have been Jews in Cologne since Romans times:
Quote:
Two edicts of Constantine (Cod. Theod. 16:8, 3–4) of 321 and 331 respectively imposed the onerous Curia duties on the Jews of Cologne and exempted the officials of their community from the obligations incumbent on the lower class of citizens.

I doubt that there is (or will be) a celebration:
Quote:
In 1012 (or 1040) a synagogue was erected which, though destroyed, was three times rebuilt on the same site, until, after the expulsion of 1424, it was turned into a chapel, though it served various purposes in the course of time
Source for both quotes: Jewish Virtual Library
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:31 am
@Setanta,
You can say lots of things with hindsight, and we should have acted when they reoccupied the Rhine.

Although it's marvelous that you criticise us for our inactivity, but don't mention your own.

Quote:
If you people had done the right thing, you'd have invaded Germany in September, 1939.

It was called the phoney war for a reason, people still thought an outcome could be negotiated. Also everyone still thought the lessons of WW1 held out, strength lay in the defender. Blitzkrieg was a new concept.

Quote:
So you now suggest that, having thrown Poland to the dogs, England should have made a separate peace? Just the sort of spineless, selfish behavior one can expect from the English, no?

After France fell, we could have made a seperate peace, and protected Britain, we didn't. We did what was right, we declared war as a matter of principle and stuck with it. We didn't selfishly use it as an excuse to make money, or spinelessly cower away hoping someone else would sort it out.

That's you all over, you speak like some great fountain of knowledge just because of hindsight, and when I suggest that the UK could have done what America did you call us spineless and selfish. You really are one of the biggest hypocrites I've ever come across.
Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:34 am
@izzythepush,
Sure, Bubba, keep telling yourself those silly stories.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:36 am
@Setanta,
What a well thought out out riposte. You really are a master of verbal dexterity.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:58 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I thought this thread was about whether Izzy should thank the US for saving Britain in two world wars in the 20th century?

So in your twisted mindset WW2 was just about saving Britain? Nothing about the horrors of Nazi Germany and the threat to the world. I never had you down as a holocaust denier.
Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:58 am
@izzythepush,
Sure, Bubba, whatever you say.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:02 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
What a well thought out out riposte. You really are a master of verbal dexterity.

Though that was obviously tongue in cheek, Izzy, a big NOPE. You are just getting too close to uncomfortable truths for the "Pathfinder". I can see an 'ignore' in your future. That's what Setanta does when his bullshit begins to fail him.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:16 am
@izzythepush,
Your country and Israel have got us in more wars than any countries in the world. Than after their over you both piously claim. O we could have won them without you. I wish our government would smarten up and let you do so.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:20 am
@RABEL222,
You're the ones who expect us to get on our knees and praise you, just for acting in your own interests.

I made no such claim that we could have defeated the Nazis without your help. You're the ones who seem to think you could have done it single handed.

We didn't bomb Pearl Harbour, I think you'll find that was the Japanese.

And the illegal war with Iraq was your idea, not ours.

And your country is the one that uses its veto to support Israel, not us.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Your country and Israel have got us in more wars than any countries in the world. Than after their over you both piously claim. O we could have won them without you. I wish our government would smarten up and let you do so.

You really need to stop swallowing the propaganda you're fed, Rabel. The US government gets itself in wars so that it can position itself to rape the planet. If it was any other way, you would actually see the US helping without getting a major benefit for itself. That has almost certainly never happened.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

In Germany, when did the Christian Era begin ?

Is either Yiddish or Hebrew a fonetic language ?

Your questions do not interest me.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
No. It is a 15th century, or thereabouts, dialect of German, written in Hebrew characters. I thought it reflected that the first/early Jewish settlements in Europe were in Germany in the pre-Christian era.
It's a kind of Middle High German dialect, originally called jiddisch-daitsch ('Jewish German), spoken by Ashkenazi Jews around 1100. It had some Hebrew elements added, later Aramaic, Romance and Slavic elements as well.

The first known Jew in Germany was the merchant "Isaac" at the court of Charlemagne (around 800), the following kings/emperors gave various privileges to Jews (e.g. for slave trade) but the first synagogues weren't established before 1012 (in Cologne) followed by those in Worms (1034) and Treves (1066).

"Slave trade"? To pick cotton? Sounds like a canard handed down by anti-Semites.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:40 am
@Foofie,
You're fast and loose with the "anti-Semite" label - even with facts.

From Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_and_the_slave_trade

Even in the Americas:
http://www.rense.com/general69/invo.htm
Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I thought this thread was about whether Izzy should thank the US for saving Britain in two world wars in the 20th century?

So in your twisted mindset WW2 was just about saving Britain? Nothing about the horrors of Nazi Germany and the threat to the world. I never had you down as a holocaust denier.

If America's entry into WWII was because of the Holocaust, it didn't show it by not accepting any Jewish refugees?

Most everyone on this side of the pond understands that the US had a ruling elite at that time that was basically Anglo-Saxon. Mother England was being threatened. Regardless of what historians wrote, the isolationists eventually lost simply because Anglo-Saxon America was not going to let Britain become a German speaking nation, in my opinion.

Even in the US, in 1939, an average person on the street might say with a straight face that the Protocols was not a forgery. The US has a long history of giving American Jews rights that they didn't have in Europe; however, Jews were still an expendable part of humanity, not just in Europe, in my opinion, and probably others.
Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:43 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Name one war that Israel got the US into? They fight their own wars. How many US military died in their four wars?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You're fast and loose with the "anti-Semite" label - even with facts.

From Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_and_the_slave_trade

Even in the Americas:
http://www.rense.com/general69/invo.htm

The point earlier was made about slave trade in Germany. I did not find anything about that? The Wikipedia article said "minimally involved"; however, this minimal involvement was pointed out to emphasize what?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 12:03 pm
@Foofie,
It's that anything like half pregnant? Either they did or didn't. Did they participate in the slave trade?

How does that translate into "anti-Semite?" Your labels have no value aside from making youself look foolish and stupid!