Get your shingles Shot Here!

Linkat

Tue 15 May, 2012 02:34 pm
I walk by my local pharmacy - a big sign "Get your Shingles Shot Here!".

Yeah I'm first in line! So whats the big hub bub about this vaccine? Is it that important to get the vaccine? Is this pharmacy which also sells beer and wine a good place to get it? And why are pharmacy's giving out shots?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 13,298 • Replies: 49
Topic Closed

farmerman

Tue 15 May, 2012 02:41 pm
@Linkat,
anybody whose had chicken pox as a kid can get shingles. My mom had em and they were painfula and itchy and they can be fatal (I know not by what mechanism).
The vaccine has only about a 50% effectiveness but, if youre one of those who can be protected, its worth it.

I dont think you have to worry about it till youre about 50ish, all the women on this site are nubile wenches
Linkat

Tue 15 May, 2012 02:52 pm
@farmerman,
Just women? I had heard this guy at work here had it (prior to me working here) and he came to work with it - wearing just a t-shirt because of the itch and pain.

I only remember that at the nursing home I worked there always seemed to be a shingles breakout during the winter. So I figured it was an old folks thing.

Is this vaccine new?
djjd62

Tue 15 May, 2012 03:11 pm
why would somebody want to shoot their shingles

it can't be good for the roof
0 Replies

thack45

Tue 15 May, 2012 03:14 pm
@Linkat,
The vaccine seems new, as I've not seen it before last year.

Quote:
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

After you get chickenpox, the virus remains inactive (becomes dormant) in certain nerves in the body. Shingles occurs after the virus becomes active again in these nerves years later.

The reason the virus suddenly become active again is not clear. Often only one attack occurs.

Shingles may develop in any age group, but you are more likely to develop the condition if:

You are older than 60

You had chickenpox before age 1

Your immune system is weakened by medications or disease
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001861/

I got shingles at the age of nineteen. It was just weeks after I'd gotten out of the Cleveland Clinic (undoubtedly with a weakened immune system). I also had chickenpox at around age seven.

It was kind of nasty with plenty of pain and I had trouble breathing for a few days... the pic below pretty well looks like mine did...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001861/bin/19687.jpg

0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 15 May, 2012 03:29 pm
@Linkat,
Nowehere did I imply that its just women. I know exactly 2 people whove had shingles

1. My mom

2 . A man in his 50's

So while its a small population, both reported the symptoms similarly and, in fact, the guy actually did some hospital time recuperating.
farmerman

Tue 15 May, 2012 03:30 pm
@farmerman,
As a fact, the guy I know is an HIV positive so , Im not sure whether his shingles were assisted by this condition.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 15 May, 2012 03:39 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah - I mis-read on this quote:

Quote:
all the women on this site are nubile wenches
took it to mean you meant women with shingles but yes we are wenches.
0 Replies

Ceili

Tue 15 May, 2012 05:10 pm
I haven't seen this vaccine yet. I've had chicken pox and have the scars to prove it. I might be interested. An elderly neighbour of mine had it when I was a kid. I think it sped up his ultimate demise. I remember him spending a lot of time in the hospital because of it. He was in a great deal of pain.
It's not uncommon for pharmacies to administer vaccines up here. Usually it's a flu virus vaccine.
CalamityJane

Tue 15 May, 2012 05:42 pm
My mom had shingles and it is very painful, so anyone who had chicken pox should definitely consider a shingles vaccine!
I've never had chicken pox, so I am spared I guess - at least from shingles!
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 15 May, 2012 08:35 pm
@Linkat,
The probability of getting shingles goes up with age but you can get it at any age. It starts with a burning sensation like a medium sunburn or rug burn. Within a few days it will become extremely painful (it travels along the nerve endings) and will break out into active chicken pox that you can transmit to all the children around you. I have a doctor friend on my tennis team and when I complained about the burning sensation he got me to a doctor immediately who pumped me full of antivirals. I got the rash and aches but arrested it before the open sore stage. My doctor had already prescribed me the most powerful dose of pain killers he felt he could in case we didn't catch it in time.
0 Replies

Eva

Tue 15 May, 2012 09:24 pm
I had shingles last November/December. It was really awful. Brought on by extreme stress, I'm sure. I took antivirals to (hopefully) prevent frequent recurrances of the pain in the future. And I had an epidural steroid injection to further reduce the pain. (It didn't do much good, though.) I couldn't get dressed or leave the house for 3 weeks, and it was another 3 weeks before the pain was really gone.

Since we are under 60, my husband and I cannot get the shingles vaccine without a prescription, and all the pharmacies here get very limited amounts of vaccine anyway. They all have waiting lists for people with prescriptions. If you have any kind of autoimmune disease or condition, you can get a vaccination at the Health Department with a note from your doctor. My husband managed to get a prescription after he saw what I went through, but he's been on our pharmacy's waiting list for almost 6 months now.
0 Replies

roger

Wed 16 May, 2012 12:23 am
A chance acquaintence said that you shouldn't get the shot if you've already had shingles. Anybody know about that? I had it once, and the experience is enough to last a lifetime.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 16 May, 2012 01:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

anybody whose had chicken pox as a kid can get shingles. My mom had em and they were painfula and itchy and they can be fatal (I know not by what mechanism).

You casn get it in the brain. NOT a good outlook. A very young mum died from that when I worked in a hospital.
0 Replies

Raneisha

Wed 16 May, 2012 03:12 am
@Linkat,
hi!
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 16 May, 2012 09:00 am
@Linkat,
The vaccine is approved for use in adults aged 60 and over. So, I'm not sure it's being pushed on the general population.

The only person I know who got the Shingles vaccination also developed Shingles a year later, so that doesn't say much for it's effectiveness.

I've had Shingles and it is extremely unpleasant, painful, and rather long-lasting. I think my chances of any recurrence are fairly slim, and about the same with and without the vaccine, so I'm not going to bother with the shot.
Linkat

Wed 16 May, 2012 09:01 am
@Ceili,
This is the first time, I've seen advertising for vaccines at pharmacy besides the flu shot - I guess that is what caused my interest. As flu vaccines are quite common - but I haven't heard of the shingles vaccine before.
Linkat

Wed 16 May, 2012 09:03 am
@firefly,
Yeah - I have had the chicken pox as a child - I plan on asking my doctor about this at my next appointment - all this discussion has me wondering if I should get the shot or not. I prefer not getting vaccine until it has been around for a bit so that you better know the longer term impacts.
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 16 May, 2012 09:06 am
@Linkat,
The pharmacies also give pneumonia vaccinations--also advised for senior citizens or for younger people with chronic health conditions or compromised immune systems. Generally it's given once, but a second dose may be given after 5 years.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Wed 16 May, 2012 09:06 am
It was imperative that I get the shingles shot. I had the disease, and I never want to have it again. My husband got it too, and he suffered from post-herpetic neuralgia for many months. It also affected his eyesight. It is awful!
0 Replies