Clothes laundering.

chai2

Sat 12 May, 2012 10:24 am
Where do you put clothes that you've worn, but are not dirty, and plan to wear again, maybe even more than once, before cleaning?

I was reading about how it's not good to wash everything after one wearing, especially things like jeans, or work slacks, skirts (I'm talking wash and wear cloths, not dry clean)

Well, I don't wash everything after one wearing, but I don't like the idea of putting them back in the closet, definately not a clothes drawer. But maybe that's all right? Especially if you give them a squirt of Febreeze?
Also, how do you track how many times you've worn something? I'll look at pants or something and think "I've worn these once, or was it twice?"

Rockhead

Sat 12 May, 2012 10:25 am
@chai2,
on the back of a chair that the cats can't get at.

or the second wearing is kinda fuzzy and I tend to shed...
0 Replies

roger

Sat 12 May, 2012 10:34 am
@chai2,
I have what was supposed to be a chin up bar in a doorway. It has evolved into a very practical clothes bar for things that have been worn, but not ready for the laundry - unless I happen to be doing a load anyway.

My tradition for shirts that have not been worn since the laundry is to button the very top button. If it's buttoned at the top, it's ready for inspection.
ossobuco

Sat 12 May, 2012 10:43 am
On hooks, and sometimes a doorknob, although the door knob drape bothers me and I try to cut that out.

I've a couple of over the closet door type things - one is actually a wreath holder that I take it is supposed to go on the front door at Christmas (nemee), another a plastic thing that goes over the door and has two plastic curves, good for bathrobe, kimono, and whatever.

Have a couple of nifty brass hooks from my past, one that I use in a bathroom and one right by the front door to hold the jacket of choice that week. This is being usurped by dog leashes.

Have a couple of sturdy nails high on a bedroom wall to hold some long + wide scarves - works as a kind of decor t00 - that I can also attach a hanger to.

Finally, if all else fails, there is the old hanger over the door move.

Just remembered - some of the doors have these doohickeys at the top hinge so that you won't foolishly jerk the door fully open - those make good temporary hooks.
chai2

Sat 12 May, 2012 10:46 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

My tradition for shirts that have not been worn since the laundry is to button the very top button. If it's buttoned at the top, it's ready for inspection.

Wow, that's a great tip!

I don't wear button downs, but yeah, I could turn up part of a sleeve, or cuff of a pant leg, to indicate it's been worn.

I wear a lot of V-neck, 3/4 sleeve T-shirty type of shirts. I don't like to hang them up. I find myself laying them out on an extra bed, but it starts to get messy when I've got 3 shirts maybe, a couple of pants, etc.

Maybe if a drawer was designated for once or twice worn clothes, with a sachet in it?

But then, I'd have a mix of types of clothing, tank tops, nicer folding tops, etc. and it would be a mess.

Maybe some people think this is silly, but it really bugs me, and I wonder what others do.

Oh, for the ladies, one thing I learned that really works is not to wear the same bra 2 days in a row. They need at least 24 hours to get back into shape. It really makes them look better and last longer.
Rockhead

Sat 12 May, 2012 10:54 am
@chai2,
bras need alone time?

I'm so glad I'm a man...
chai2

Sat 12 May, 2012 10:57 am
@Rockhead,
Oh yes, they do.

There's this whole cantilever system going on, guy wires, joists and so forth.
Rockhead

Sat 12 May, 2012 11:01 am
@chai2,
gotta say, I never really paid much attention to bras.

other than learning how to release them, of course...

(I practice catch and release)
ossobuco

Sat 12 May, 2012 11:02 am
@ossobuco,
I once knew a very artistic couple. He was an aerospace engineer and painter and she taught cooking classes and wrote cookbooks that he illustrated. Their house was quite unusual in their adaptive usage, though it looked like a normal small beach bungalow from the outside.

Not so much a tangent but to explain further - you entered the house in the kitchen, where she taught classes. Some of the floors (probably the area where there was already one step down) were covered with thick bricks. One room was wall to wall to wall to wall book shelves. The bedroom had no closet, but the walls had highish nails where their clothes hung from hangers - decor made of clothing. I could go on about the yard, wonderful, but won't.

That is where I think I caught the clothing as decor bug.

Or maybe it was from the arty couple who lived in an art loft building, an old brewery. The guy hung his antique kimono collection high on the very tall living room wall. Never did see their closet, that I remember. They also had different flooring - concrete for most of it, and gravel at the entry. That's the interior building entry, inside the loft door.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 12 May, 2012 11:07 am
@chai2,
Jackets and coats are pretty much the only things I don't wash after a single wear. There are a couple of winter skirts that might get a second wear before washing. Everything else is worn, and then washed before being worn again.
0 Replies

Eva

Sat 12 May, 2012 12:23 pm
You guys put previously worn clothing in different places than freshly washed? Why? I really don't get that. If it's clean enough to be worn again, it's clean enough to hang it back up. If it's too dirty to be up against freshly washed clothing, then obviously it needs to go into the laundry basket.

You guys are weird!
Rockhead

Sat 12 May, 2012 12:46 pm
@Eva,
I live on a farm.

kinda clean is ok for most days...
0 Replies

roger

Sat 12 May, 2012 12:47 pm
@Eva,
That's exactly what the old lady said just before she kissed her pet pig.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 12 May, 2012 01:37 pm
@Eva,
Well, sometimes not, skirts for example, and in spring and fall, I often wear heavy cotton shirts over an long tee, which will be over other stuff, and will put those overshirts back in the closet.
Blouses and tees I tend to only wear once. I can't smell and thus have been lifetime cautious. Close friends and mates clue me in if I'm giving off wafts of peew; they say I'm not.
Jeans I tend to wear over, depending on what I was up to when wearing them before. Long walk, wash em. Around the house, they'll go longer, do fine on a hook.

In a way I'm an odd version of the tech silicon valley clothing style, at least at times. Jeans and this, jeans and that. Alone I cheerfully wear wrinkled favorite long sleeved linen shirts; gave up ironing when I moved here. And since they're overshirts, I'll wear those a few times and don't fret about putting them in the closet. In contrast to tech style, I'll sometimes wear earrings with that. So sue me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 12 May, 2012 01:58 pm
@Eva,
That's about where I am too.

Generally I will wear t-shirts/tank tops only once (wash them pretty much no matter what).

Same with most shirts, unless I'm using it as an overlayer (like a long-sleeved shirt with a denim shirt over it).

Jeans I'll wear a couple-few times depending on circumstances.

Skirts can usually go for a while, again depending on circumstances.

Dresses are usually more in the shirt category.

This has evolved from when sozlet was a baby + toddler, because pretty much every single day there was some reason that I had to wash what I was wearing, so that became default.

It's evolving for her too, she's still very active but is much less likely to get clothes dirty these days. She usually puts everything she's worn that day in the dirty clothes hamper, I'm trying to get her to keep out jeans that are completely clean except for having been worn once. (I.e. no mud or paint or anything.) She only has two pairs that fit well and that's what she wants to wear most of the time (weather permitting, starting to get too warm for jeans).

Trying to balance my need for cleanliness with not wanting to waste water.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 12 May, 2012 04:06 pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wears clothes twice (or more)!
JTT

Sat 12 May, 2012 05:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
(I practice catch and release)

I think you've got that backwards, Rocky. It should be release and catch.
0 Replies

JTT

Sat 12 May, 2012 05:23 pm
@chai2,
Coveralls last from brand new to time for the dump. If ya wanna get the smell out, just roll around in the corrals.
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 12 May, 2012 06:34 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I was reading about how it's not good to wash everything after one wearing, especially things like jeans, or work slacks, skirts ....

Yeah, that's what I think, too.
I wonder how much of the "gentle, environmentally friendly " ( Wink ) washing machine detergent I use actually remains in the garments after the full wash/rinse cycle.
I figure the more unnecessary washing, the faster the garments wear out.
And I like the idea of conserving energy. Why use more electricity than you have to?
I use my washing machine as little as I can, saving up as much as for Big Washes (usually to be dried on the clothesline) as I can.

Quote:
Well, I don't wash everything after one wearing, but I don't like the idea of putting them back in the closet, definately not a clothes drawer. But maybe that's all right?

Now that a more vexing issue! Wink
Most once-worn clothes (even jeans) I like to hang up and air before the next wearing. On the shower rack if it's too cold or wet for out on the decking, just outside the back door.
Just makes me feel better about it. Smile
Then I don't feel too bad if they are hung back up amongst my clean clothes.
Not-too-worn T shirts are pretty good for sleeping in, too.

MMarciano

Sat 12 May, 2012 09:09 pm
@chai2,
When I get home from work I put on shorts and a T-Shirt, I’ll wear them for two days straight. Not Morgan, he will change twice in one day after getting home. He won’t wear anything a second time unless its been washed. Where do you think the name Jewish Princess came from?
0 Replies