NRA POLICY ON SELF DEFENSE LAWS

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:27 am
@farmerman,
There used to be a very strong brew available in gin mills in Massachusetts when I was growing up. I have no idea what the actual ABV was but the street drunks referred to Pickwick Ale as "poor man's whisky." Far as I know, that brewery has been out of business for decades.
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:33 am
There was an excellent true Bohemian lager being sold in the states a little over 20 years ago when i still took strong drink--i don't know if you can still get it. However, the alcohol content was "too high" for lager, so it was labelled "barley wine." Barley wine (in the U.S. definition) runs 9% to 13% alcohol content.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
We had a "poor man's cognac" here: it was just schnaps ('Korn') with a bit of bitter dark brown bitter schnaps - thus called "Kolorierter" (coloured) ....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:52 pm
Close to being one less gun nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:12 pm
a few burgundy wines can achieve ABVs of 18% , because the burgundy yeasts ( each strain held under security by the individual estates-Im not sure there is a valid varietal in US ).

I distinclty recall certain white burgundies like Puligny Montrachet as being as high as 16% ABV and B5G had an estate bottled Puligny (and Chassagne) Montrachet that were really loaded .
These were not fortified at all but were actual fermented levels of spirits that needed a couple of years to become the Grand Crux that they were.
I have no idea what a vintage Puligny Montrachet would go for today . (I also wonder how well the wine market has been to suh Premier Crux as a Chateau Yqem?)
I reminisce every so often but dont dwell on it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:30 am
@farmerman,
Last year I had enough cherries on my tree for two pies and one and a half gallons of wine. I've just chased four pigeons off it as the cats watched lazily. I don't know what the pigeons are after, as it's still in blossom.
JTT

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:03 pm
Could someone tell me what NRA POLICY ON SELF DEFENSE LAWS is?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:08 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Could someone tell me what NRA POLICY ON SELF DEFENSE LAWS is?

It's a closely-guarded secret, JTT. Only the NRA and -- possibly -- OmSigDavid know for sure. But if you ask him very nicely and sweetly, I'm sure he'd be glad to retake possession of what started out as his own thread and share the secret with you.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think JTT's passing up a great opportunity. It's highly unlikely he'll ever be asked to help draft the NRA's policy on self defence laws, but he might grow a few tomatoes.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:11 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Last year I had enough cherries on my tree for two pies and one and a half gallons of wine.
I've just chased four pigeons off it as the cats watched lazily.
I don't know what the pigeons are after, as it's still in blossom.
I woudn't trust them, Izzy.

David
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually, I think I've misjudged them, somethings been eating the leaves. I think the pigeons were eating the bugs.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Actually, I think I've misjudged them, somethings been eating the leaves. I think the pigeons were eating the bugs.

Now that makes sense.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:08 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Actually, I think I've misjudged them, somethings been eating the leaves.
I think the pigeons were eating the bugs.
Thay r like bodyguards for your trees, bravely defending your leaves!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:12 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Close to being one less gun nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
Thank u for the Youtube link, J.
I enjoyed it and the other displayed videos also.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:12 pm
@izzythepush,
sour cherry wine was one of my favorite homemades. When it was made right and didnt have that "foxy wild" flavor, it could rival many really good B&G vintages Ive drunk.
Something about a slightly sweet tangy sour cherry wine.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:15 am
@farmerman,
I wouldn't call it sour. I've had a taste when I was bottling it, but it won't be at its best for another year or so. So far the plum wine is this season's best.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 03:43 am
@izzythepush,
I was projecting. I hve several sour cherry trees that provide us with cherries for pie. I was assuming that you were using that variety. Course a sweet cherry wine (like Kirch wasser) is a sweet beverage that has a strong almondy back-taste.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 03:50 am
@farmerman,
These are fairly sweet red cherries, they only produced a good crop last year. Prior to that I would just get a few each year. The tree seems to have reached its critical mass. I made 1 gallon of cherry and mixed the remaider with a mix of red fruits, raspberries, strawberries, blackcurrents, loganberries, tayberries and a few immature apples that fell of the tree early.

I haven't got a clue what the latter tastes like, when I tried to rack it, it started fermenting again, it's still fizzy, but very clear. At the moment I'm trying to clear the wine I brewed from the vines. It's due a rack today and another dose of finings.
0 Replies