What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:45 am
@failures art,
Let’s do this slowly, Art…so we don’t get lost in an unnecessary fog. I’ll take one thing at a time…when that has been satisfactorily decided between us, we move on to the next item.

You wrote:

Quote:
Yes, if something exists, it is explainable.

That is an assertion that is not necessarily sustainable. It MAY BE correct, but I fail to see how you can logically assert it with certainty.

Unless you can assure me that you KNOW all the things that exist…and KNOW that they can all be explained…it is a blind, wild assertion at that.

You also seem to be arguing that “nothing is unexplainable and the reason some things are unexplainable is blah, blah, blah about language and its limits.”

Why are you so certain that if something exists…it is explainable…and why are you so certain that there are no segments of existence that are not explainable?

And if you would, I would appreciate it if you do not try to gratuitously define things that exist in a way that make "explainability" one of its qualities.
failures art

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 09:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
I arrive at my certainty by accounting for our limitations elsewhere. Specifically our current limitations on observation and language which may not adequately address something that is currently without explanation. So the "knowing" of all things is accounted for by the limitations of observation. I've already addressed your question.

As for the "segments of existence" that you feel may be unexplainable, I've asked for examples. Start there, and we can explore which methodology is most blind, arbitrary, and assertive.

The quality of something being "unexplainable" is at the heart of exploring why people believe in the supernatural. It's not gratuitous, and certainly not a waste of our mental labor. I believe that honest discussion on the unexplained is obstructed by the assertion that some things can never be explained. Further, as a matter of rhetoric, the suggestion that something cannot be explained, is unto itself an explanation--a poor one.

The sun setting and rising used to be "unexplainable." Consider how the supernature of these events changed with greater observational ability, and the expansion of vocabulary to convey the needed concepts involved. You'll not find the opposite in our history: A natural event becoming supernatural with the improvement of observation and language.

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 10:31 am
@failures art,
Once again, Art, I will take one item at a time…and we will go back to my previous comment after dealing with one of the things you said in this response.

You wrote:

Quote:
As for the "segments of existence" that you feel may be unexplainable, I've asked for examples. Start there, and we can explore which methodology is most blind, arbitrary, and assertive.

I am not asserting there are segments of existence that ARE unexplainable…and as for segments that MAY BE unexplainable…choose whatever you want. THERE MAY BE segments that are unexplainable.

YOU, on the other hand, ARE asserting “nothing is unexplainable.” That assertion is what I am questioning.

The burden of proof (or burden of providing ample evidence) falls on you, not on me. I am not taking the position that there are “unexplainable”** components to REALITY…I am just questioning your blanket assertion that there are none…under any circumstances.

Other than by arbitrarily defining “everything” as stuff that can be explainable…show me why I should accept your (seemingly self-serving) assertion that nothing is unexplainable.

This thread is (was) discussing why people “believe” in the supernatural. For my purposes, I translated that to mean, why I am unwilling to exclude the possibility of (what we would consider) the supernatural.

**Obviously, one could suggest that even stuff that cannot be explained by natural means could be explained by “other than natural or supernatural” explanations. If that is what you are getting at, I stand corrected. I have a very, very difficult time supposing that is what you are about here.
failures art

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I am not asserting there are segments of existence that ARE unexplainable…and as for segments that MAY BE unexplainable…choose whatever you want. THERE MAY BE segments that are unexplainable.

Based on what rationale have you arrived at this wishy washy position? "There may be"? Since you aren't claiming that there "are" things unexplainable, just that maybe sorta kinda dunno there might be somewhere dunno elsewhere something yada yada, you're giving the concession that no such segment of reality with such a quality of "unexplainability" has been observed. Otherwise, you'd drop your first clause. Being that you don't even care to argue in support of such a segment, am I to accept that some other "segment of reality" exists whose supernature is ellusive to reason? Why?

Frank Apisa wrote:

YOU, on the other hand, ARE asserting “nothing is unexplainable.” That assertion is what I am questioning.

But you're not questioning it. You're playing at semantics.

I'm asserting that things have explanations. I account for error in our own limitations instead of attributing a "unexplainable" property to things yet explained.

You're asserting that maybe some things don't have explanations. This is a far more grand claim.

Frank Apisa wrote:

The burden of proof (or burden of providing ample evidence) falls on you, not on me. I am not taking the position that there are “unexplainable”** components to REALITY…I am just questioning your blanket assertion that there are none…under any circumstances.

**Obviously, one could suggest that even stuff that cannot be explained by natural means could be explained by “other than natural or supernatural” explanations. If that is what you are getting at, I stand corrected. I have a very, very difficult time supposing that is what you are about here.

I disagree. I think you do have a great burden of proof. I've given examples of previously "unexplainable" things that--big surprise--become explainable. You can't demonstrate the existence of single thing which eludes such a rationale.

As for your aside, I already addressed this. Supernatural explanations, are just that: Explanations--poor ones. Calling something "unexplainable" is far more a ridiculous claim. It's the sort of logic employed by the religious to reject logical explanations.

Certainly the universe is full of mystery, but it's mystery to us in our limited exploration in the micro and macro. We don't need to dress up what we don't know as being magical or supernatural. Nature is good enough.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Other than by arbitrarily defining “everything” as stuff that can be explainable…show me why I should accept your (seemingly self-serving) assertion that nothing is unexplainable.

You're misusing arbitrary again, and what exactly is self-serving about my position?

Why you should accept it is simple. You already do. Without second thought, you accept the natural explanation of electricity, disease, and the weather. You do this painlessly. The pain comes with cognitive dissonance trying to force the idea that somewhere something maybe kinda sorta might not be immediately explainable given our ability, so maybe we should jump to the totally hasty conclusion that these theoretical things are the unrealestate of the supernatural; the "segments of existence" that defy what you have no struggle accepting otherwise. You don't struggle to accept what explanations we do have readily available based on adequate observation and communicated with a well adapted language. You're not mystified by a light bulb.

Frank Apisa wrote:

This thread is (was) discussing why people “believe” in the supernatural. For my purposes, I translated that to mean, why I am unwilling to exclude the possibility of (what we would consider) the supernatural.

That "what we would consider" is no small detail to overlook. Again, think about what we have considered supernatural in the past. Ask yourself if you could ignore modern science's conclusion that the sun is a giant fission reactor made of gas. Could you instead conclude that it is supernatural? If you cannot, then there's no real muscle behind your position because you (despite saying otherwise) very much can and do exclude the possibility of the supernatural. You don't believe the sun is a literally a supernatural being, do you?

Why the ability to discard reasoning is held up as noble is beyond me. The idea of being open to all things isn't a great measure of critical thinking. I think you can exclude the supernatural without absolute knowledge.

Do I know if there is supernatural? No.
Have I been convinced to believe in the supernatural? No compelling case has been made--No.

I.e. - You don't know 100% the tooth fairy isn't real. But hey, have an open mind! We shouldn't exclude it! Might as well call it a draw!

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:19 pm
@failures art,
When you decide to get real, get in touch.

YOU made the assertion. I did not.

Now you realize your assertion was nonsense and you are trying to brush it off as a failing on my part.

Hey...no problem. I take a laugh wherever it is offered.

But as I said, if you decide to get real, just let me know.
failures art

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Don't get stormy, Frank.

Your position isn't consistent:

1) You do exclude the supernatural as you see fit--pick and choose.
2) You cannot point to a single example for exploration to even discuss the realm of existence you claim exists. You very much are making a claim.

As it was put to me before in a similar conversation:

Chris: Alias, you can't tell me how many spoons are in that drawer by telling me how many forks are in this drawer.
Alias: Chris, we're in the fork drawer, so prove to me that any other drawer exists before we consider counting spoons a real task.

You're very much stuck here.

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:49 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Don't get stormy, Frank.

Not my style to get stormy, Art. That is not what is happening here.

What we have here, despite your attempts to portray it differently is:

You are making a specific assertion that “nothing is unexplainable.”

I am NOT making an assertion that you are wrong. Frankly, I do not know if you are wrong or if you are correct. All I have actually said on that issue is that I do not know…that it is possible nothing is unexplainable and it is possible there are some things that are unexplainable.

After your original post, I asked about your assertion. I wrote: “Really! You know for a fact that nothing is unexplainable…or is this just a guess you are making?”

You said you did, indeed, know it for a fact.

I’ve attempted to discuss that with you…and you have made repeated attempts to dodge the issue.

How do you know that “nothing is unexplainable?”

HINT: I will know when you are getting serious when you simply acknowledge you do not know. Then we can start a real discussion.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 04:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I do have an understanding about the concept of "Nothing" but I am almost certain that it could be explained better than what I can explain it, "as a mater of fact I think that it is empirically unexplainable but if you think that you have a really good explanation of "Nothing" please explain it to us.
failures art

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 04:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Don't get stormy, Frank.

Not my style to get stormy, Art.

Really?

Frank Apisa wrote:

What we have here, despite your attempts to portray it differently is:

You are making a specific assertion that “nothing is unexplainable.”

Perhaps it's better to phrase it in the positive: Given adequate observation and language, all things are explainable. I believe this very much. Your actions do to, do you deny this?

Frank Apisa wrote:

I am NOT making an assertion that you are wrong. Frankly, I do not know if you are wrong or if you are correct. All I have actually said on that issue is that I do not know…that it is possible nothing is unexplainable and it is possible there are some things that are unexplainable.

To which I said provide a single one. You've got no chips on the felt--ante up. I'm willing to explore any example that would qualify as supernatural (literally meaning beyond nature). How is even one thing possible to be without explanation? Show me that an alternative can even exist that justifies holding out on the idea that some things may not have an explanation.

Frank Apisa wrote:

After your original post, I asked about your assertion. I wrote: “Really! You know for a fact that nothing is unexplainable…or is this just a guess you are making?”

You said you did, indeed, know it for a fact.

I’ve attempted to discuss that with you…and you have made repeated attempts to dodge the issue.

HINT: I will know when you are getting serious when you simply acknowledge you do not know. Then we can start a real discussion.

You're dictating the terms of our discourse. If I don't see things your way, you don't play. Very stormy indeed. I've asked you specifically about many things, you've not answered them.

Could you decide to believe the sun was a god knowing what you know about it? I doubt it. Our ancestors could not understand it and could not explain it. They left the sun to the realm of the supernatural. They were wrong, and the fact they were wrong is important. Part of the why they were wrong is because they lacked the ability to understand it. We still are limited, although less so than our ancestors, so we will still fail to understand things in the present. Does that mean that all things currently understood should be considered supernatural? No.

Why not skip the "unexplainable?" Would it be more or less honest to call these things "unexplained?"

The supernatural versus the natural is kind of like alternative medicine. Do you know what you call alternative medicine that works? You call it "medicine." Do you know what you call a supernatural sun god that rises and falls in a day? You call it a "star."

A
R
T
Manss

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 04:00 am
@Tapout89,
one of the hardest preventive between us and supernatural is that we do desire see what is paranormal by our eyes and we don't use our logic instead of the eyes. before we do believe in angels , ghost and other paranormal creatures we have to think about this world creator. it is not good for a human,s logic , he suppose he is self- creation and has been created random as he see many regular and perplexing things around himself based on science and logic.Any how some time we all are needy to close our eyes and open our mind.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 08:28 am
@failures art,
So, Art...essentially you are making an assertion and claiming you do not have to substantiate it...and although all I have said is "I do not know"...you are claiming that to be an assertion that requires substantiation from me.

You make an assertion...I do not make an assertion...and you claim the burden of proof (or evidence) falls on me rather than you.

Very interesting; very innovative.

My one question for this post would be:

Have you ever gotten away with nonsense of this sort anywhere?

In any case, when credit is due, I offer it. I give you an A+ for ingenuity...and an A+ for balls.

This forum, however, is Able2Know...and you have absolutely no chance whatsoever of selling something like this.

Give my original question to you one more try, Art.

Oh, I also give you an A for the entertainment quality of your efforts.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 11:33 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I do have an understanding about the concept of "Nothing" but I am almost certain that it could be explained better than what I can explain it, "as a mater of fact I think that it is empirically unexplainable but if you think that you have a really good explanation of "Nothing" please explain it to us.

RL…obviously you have noticed the poor wording of Art’s initial comment. I was saving this, but since you raised it, I will comment on it now.

Art wrote: “Nothing is "unexplainable”…”, but I suspect if he worded his comment more carefully, he meant to say, “Everything is explainable.”

“Nothing is unexplainable”…leaves room for the same inconsistency that is found in the statement, “There is nothing to fear.” In the latter case, is the comment meant as a dire warning (among many other things to fear, one has nothing”ness” to fear) or is it meant as the ultimate attempt to comfort and calm?

The question arises: Is Art saying that nothing(ness) is indeed unexplainable…or is he actually saying “everything is explainable without exception.”

I think it obvious the latter is the case.

That being so, the burden of proof (or evidence) for the contention now rests on him.

Perhaps at some point he will offer it.
failures art

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

So, Art...essentially you are making an assertion and claiming you do not have to substantiate it...and although all I have said is "I do not know"...you are claiming that to be an assertion that requires substantiation from me.

"Substantiation." Ironic choice of words.

Frank Apisa wrote:

You make an assertion...I do not make an assertion...and you claim the burden of proof (or evidence) falls on me rather than you.

My assertion: All things that exist are explainable given adequate observational and linguistic ability.

I don't know what the all the explanations are for any and every thing, but it is far more rational to say that they exist and elude me, than to say that some simply are without any explanation. If you disagree, present an example, and we'll go from there. If you're not willing to ante up, get off the poker table.

The problem here is not that I can't admit I don't know, but that you can't accept that not knowing is unto itself a painless place. It seems that you believe that in the gaps of human knowledge, it's acceptable to fill the space with totally supernatural crap. That's your anxiety about not knowing; it is not mine. Don't project.

As I said, several posts ago, the alternatives are what is arbitrary. The substantiation is in what we have come to understand and explain, and one the occasions where we don't understand or lack the ability to understand, we do what? We state why we can't understand/explain due to our limitations.

You're being silly Frank.

Provide a justification for why anyone should hold out to believe in a single supernatural thing. Why is it worth ANY consideration?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Empiricism gets me very far. Get's you pretty far too when you choose to use it and not call it nonsense, Frank. Busy counting the angels on the tip of a pin?

Frank Apisa wrote:

In any case, when credit is due, I offer it. I give you an A+ for ingenuity...and an A+ for balls.

Swell.

Frank Apisa wrote:

This forum, however, is Able2Know...and you have absolutely no chance whatsoever of selling something like this.

Yes, this is A2K. A lot changed while you were gone on your stormy sabbatical. Welcome back, BTW. Last conversation we had, I remember you getting pissed because I pointed out flaws in the existence of god dichotomy of god v no god re: Pascal's wager. You took your ball and left.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Start answering some of mine, Frank. You're not calling the shots.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Swell.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

RL…obviously you have noticed the poor wording of Art’s initial comment. I was saving this, but since you raised it, I will comment on it now.

Art wrote: “Nothing is "unexplainable”…”, but I suspect if he worded his comment more carefully, he meant to say, “Everything is explainable.”

Oh cute, you were "saving" it... but then again if you were reading my posts you'd have seen that I already rephrased the whole thing in the positive to deal with this already:

failures art wrote:

Perhaps it's better to phrase it in the positive: Given adequate observation and language, all things are explainable.

I'd have to repeat myself less if you'd read more carefully.

Frank Apisa wrote:

The question arises: Is Art saying that nothing(ness) is indeed unexplainable…or is he actually saying “everything is explainable without exception.”

I think it obvious the latter is the case.

Of course it's the latter thing. I've said this explicitly. Why are you pondering?

Frank Apisa wrote:

That being so, the burden of proof (or evidence) for the contention now rests on him.

I've provided evidence. I've show that the history of inexplicable things shows that with greater observation and language, they become explainable. The opposite does not happen. This is evidence. My claim is NOT that we can explain everything right now. It is that we account for error by describing our own limitations, not by attributing supernatural reservations to the gaps in our knowledge.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Perhaps at some point he will offer it.

READ MORE.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:31 pm
@failures art,
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 4972949)
Frank Apisa wrote:

"Substantiation." Ironic choice of words.

Frank Apisa wrote:

My assertion: All things that exist are explainable given adequate observational and linguistic ability.

I don't know what the all the explanations are for any and every thing, but it is far more rational to say that they exist and elude me, than to say that some simply are without any explanation. If you disagree, present an example, and we'll go from there. If you're not willing to ante up, get off the poker table.

The problem here is not that I can't admit I don't know, but that you can't accept that not knowing is unto itself a painless place. It seems that you believe that in the gaps of human knowledge, it's acceptable to fill the space with totally supernatural crap. That's your anxiety about not knowing; it is not mine. Don't project.

As I said, several posts ago, the alternatives are what is arbitrary. The substantiation is in what we have come to understand and explain, and one the occasions where we don't understand or lack the ability to understand, we do what? We state why we can't understand/explain due to our limitations.

You're being silly Frank.

Provide a justification for why anyone should hold out to believe in a single supernatural thing. Why is it worth ANY consideration?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Empiricism gets me very far. Get's you pretty far too when you choose to use it and not call it nonsense, Frank. Busy counting the angels on the tip of a pin?

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:

Swell.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Yes, this is A2K. A lot changed while you were gone on your stormy sabbatical. Welcome back, BTW. Last conversation we had, I remember you getting pissed because I pointed out flaws in the existence of god dichotomy of god v no god re: Pascal's wager. You took your ball and left.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Start answering some of mine, Frank. You're not calling the shots.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Swell.

A
R
T

Getting a bit stormy there, Art. Try to stay under control.

And if you get a chance, give us the back-up for your assertion...or acknowledge it is a guess.

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm content to watch this from the sidelines, however, you are being dishonest. You constantly make assertions about what people can or cannot know.
failures art

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
And if you get a chance, give us the back-up for your assertion...or acknowledge it is a guess.

It's not a guess, it's a theory, Frank. It's predictive, and disprovable.

I've already given the evidence of:
- The solar system
- Electricity
- Illness / medicine

All were once supernatural things. This is evidence, and you need to acknowledge this if your actually interested in the topic.

On the other hand. guessing would be saying that something somewhere maybe sorta could be unexplainable.

A
R
That's guesswork.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:39 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm content to watch this from the sidelines, however, you are being dishonest. You constantly make assertions about what people can or cannot know.

Doesn't look like the sidelines to me!

I am not being dishonest.

And if there are instances where I have made assertions about what people can or cannot know...that seem unreasonable to you...point them out and if I think you are correct, I will apologize. (I don't think I have actually done that, by the way.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:44 pm
@failures art,
My original question when you asserted that “nothing is unexplainable” was: “Really! You know for a fact that nothing is unexplainable…or is this just a guess you are making?”

Your answer was: “Yes really. The only way such a concept can exist is through language. In other words, just because no known explanation for a phenomena exists, we cannot say it is "unexplainable." We can only state what our limitations are in explaining it. This is easily remedied, by qualifying things lacking an explanation. Saying something is "unexplainable" seems to me to convey that there are things that can never be explained. I think that is an assumption. My position only says that observational and language ability limit what is explained currently, not what can be explained, thus nothing has a quality of being unexplainable.”

You were maintaining that you did in fact KNOW that nothing is unexplainable.

Now you are saying it is a theory.

Which is it?
failures art

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Are you one of the "it's just a theory" types, Frank?

What dilemma do you think I'm facing here? A theory of gravity does not prevent us from knowledge of gravity, does it? "Knowing" is not in conflict with theory.

A
R
T