What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:04 am
@Cyracuz,
Recently spotted bumper-sticker: "Reality is for people with no imagination."
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:08 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I like it!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:08 am
@Lustig Andrei,
in the 70's we reasoned that reality was for people who couldn't handle drugs
igm

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:28 am
@djjd62,
Reality is just a word. Its definition is beyond all elaboration.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:43 am
Big Bang, Creationism in 7 days, ancient aliens, flying spaghetti monster, I find one to be as likely or unlikely as the other. All the theories are interesting to ponder, and I think whatever the current belief du jour is, if you go to it's foundation, it's a combination of beliefs that came before it. Nobody knows for sure and I don't believe we ever will. I do believe there are some mysteries to existence and given our track record, I also believe that the closer we gather the knowledge to decipher them, the more likely we'll use that knowledge to **** each other up first. Then we start all over knowing jack ****. The mysterious Universe however, keeps on keeping on
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:02 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Curious choice of words, Frank.

I assume you mean "curious choice of a word, Cyracuz." There was, after all, only one.

I've been told the word comes to English from Latin which got it from the Greek which in turn got it from ancient Hebrew.

It means "Truly."

Not curious at all...appropriate would be the word I would use. Lustig said it perfectly, in my opinion.

And "with a healthy dose of irony" could probably be added.

I almost always use "You will pardon the expression, but..." before using the word "Amen." But I know I am among friends who will realize the irony I intended and probably consider a qualifier a poke at their intelligence, so I left the qualifier off.
Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:08 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Ah, but not that magic fairy who lives in the evergreens in the back yard . . . if i ever get my hands on that goofy little bitch, i'm gonna make her give up her gold . . . we'll be rich, rich i tell ya ! ! ! All of us ! ! !
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ah, but not that magic fairy who lives in the evergreens in the back yard . . . if i ever get my hands on that goofy little bitch, i'm gonna make her give up her gold . . . we'll be rich, rich i tell ya ! ! ! All of us ! ! !

She gave me the clap one night
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 03:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But I know I am among friends who will realize the irony I intended and probably consider a qualifier a poke at their intelligence, so I left the qualifier off.

Well thanks for that Frank. It was very decent of you. I never knew you did irony before. It's rare in golfers.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 03:53 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I never knew you did irony before. It's rare in golfers.
We all are unable to recognize that with which we have little facility.
spendius

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:04 pm
@farmerman,
Do you mean that you have never experienced Jack Nicklaus or Colin Montgomery interviewed on the sports bulletins or seen them in ads.

Or that you never played the game where a flag is required to tell you where the hole is at the end of a narrow fairway surrounded by semi-rough and real rough and with traps dotted about seemingly randomly?

I was 23 when I gave up golf on a handicap of 6 when I realised I was being taken the piss out of.

It was, I'll admit, contemporaneous with young married women going on the pill in droves.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:41 pm
@spendius,
I avoid contact with anything related to golf for fear of its anesthetic effects
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:44 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Humans are limited to a perception of reality they have taken to call "natural."

It's a very useful term but unless one believes humans have a complete perception of reality, the "natural" is perforce limited.

"Supernatural" and "Unnatural" are not two versions of the same concept.

Supernatural, very simply, means that which is beyond our perception.

Again, unless one believes nothing is beyond our perception there must be that which is supernatural.

It's quite possible that the destiny of humanity is to render all of reality natural in the sense that it will some day in the far future be able to perceive the totality of existence. If this is the case, then at some point along the way we will almost certainly become supernatural to other sentient beings following a similar path of discovery.

A typical difficulty with any discussion of the supernatural is the unfortunate tendency for so many to link the term with superstition, as has the originator of this thread.

This leads to superficial and usually supercilious arguments about believing in imaginary supermen.

If someone wishes to assume that they (or those with greater minds than theirs whom they choose to rely upon for their beliefs) have full perception of reality who can stop them?

Likewise, who can stop someone from framing the supernatural in natural terms?

Why bother?

There is, I believe, a severly mistaken notion that ridding mankind of any contemplation of the supernatural will somehow lead to an elimination of the worst excesses of organized religion.

Those excesses can attach as easily to a entirely natural based philosophy as any that claims to be based on the supernatural, and for people who crave power either will provide them with an effective vehicle.

The blind followers who they dupe are seldom so blind that they are incapable of distinquishing between right and wrong and therefore entitled to an exemption from personal moral accountability, and even if this were not the case, there is not that much difference between promises of a paradise in heaven or one on earth.

It doesn't much matter to the fantatical whether they are bound to follow, without question, the Word of God or The Great Leader.

As for miracles, as Arthur C Clarke famously wrote:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 12:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Humans are limited to a perception of reality they have taken to call "natural."

It's a very useful term but unless one believes humans have a complete perception of reality, the "natural" is perforce limited.

"Supernatural" and "Unnatural" are not two versions of the same concept.

I did not mean to imply that the two terms are somehow synonimous. I meant that many people conceive of the so-called 'supernatural' as something which transcends the bounds of natural law and can, therefore, be termed 'unnatural.' Matter of semantics, that's all.

Quote:
Supernatural, very simply, means that which is beyond our perception.

Again, unless one believes nothing is beyond our perception there must be that which is supernatural.

Okay. I just don't like the word because, as you observe further down, it has unfortunate connotations.

Quote:
It's quite possible that the destiny of humanity is to render all of reality natural in the sense that it will some day in the far future be able to perceive the totality of existence.

I reject this possibility. But, granted, that's my personal gut feeling and, hence, not rationally and logically defensible. I firmly believe that, absent a giant step in cognitive evolution, there are things which are simply not comprehensible to the human intellect and never can be.
Quote:
If this is the case, then at some point along the way we will almost certainly become supernatural to other sentient beings following a similar path of discovery.

Sorry, I don't follow you here at all.

Quote:
A typical difficulty with any discussion of the supernatural is the unfortunate tendency for so many to link the term with superstition, as has the originator of this thread.

Precisely.

Quote:
This leads to superficial and usually supercilious arguments about believing in imaginary supermen.
Or gods on Munt Olympus (Or Sainai. Or Ararat.

Quote:
If someone wishes to assume that they (or those with greater minds than theirs whom they choose to rely upon for their beliefs) have full perception of reality who can stop them?

Likewise, who can stop someone from framing the supernatural in natural terms?

Why bother?

I presume those are rhetorical questions.

Quote:
There is, I believe, a severly mistaken notion that ridding mankind of any contemplation of the supernatural will somehow lead to an elimination of the worst excesses of organized religion.

Those excesses can attach as easily to a entirely natural based philosophy as any that claims to be based on the supernatural, and for people who crave power either will provide them with an effective vehicle.

Agreed.

Quote:
The blind followers who they dupe are seldom so blind that they are incapable of distinquishing between right and wrong and therefore entitled to an exemption from personal moral accountability, and even if this were not the case, there is not that much difference between promises of a paradise in heaven or one on earth.

It doesn't much matter to the fantatical whether they are bound to follow, without question, the Word of God or The Great Leader.

There are those -- and they are legion -- who will be reluctant to follow the Great Leader unless they are convinced that he/she has the approal of God and speaks with divine inspiration. Read the Torah, the Pentetauch. In order to accept simple building codes as the law, the Hebrews had to be convinced that this was God's will, not the reasonable dictates of mortal men. Ditto with the dietary laws.

Quote:
As for miracles, as Arthur C Clarke famously wrote:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I have great respect for Clarke as a writer; somewhat less so as a moral philosopher.
spendius

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:32 am
The supernatural is a device for providing access to the "oceanic feeling" just as the decor and rituals in restaurants allows chomping through the nutrient bed to look dignified.

Some psychologists say that the oceanic experience is a healing one.

0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I assume you mean "curious choice of a word, Cyracuz." There was, after all, only one.

I actually considered that, but I decided to go with the expression. Even though you wrote one word, there were many to chose from.

I was taught that "amen" means "make it so" or "let it be so". I looked it up, and it seems it also can mean "truly".

Anyway, I did realize the irony, which is why I made the statement. I thought it funny, and I also thought that was your intention.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:32 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Anyway, I did realize the irony, which is why I made the statement. I thought it funny, and I also thought that was your intention.

I realize you did...and I was just stringing it out.

(Also, there are times when one says things to one person meant for another to overhear! I'm pretty sure that was in play in my remark to you.)
Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:42 am
@Tapout89,
Tapout89 wrote:

But if everything can simply be explained away as you say, then why do people persist in their belief's even when they are presented which such information?

Because they may have good reasons for maintaining their position as opposed to a materialist one.

And everything cannot be explained away by other laws. Maturana and Varela's
position, which involves embodied cognition (autopoiesis) does not involve reduction to physics or whatnot.
spendius

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 06:52 am
@Ding an Sich,
Quote:
Dear all,

I’m quoted in the article posted here as being rather abusive to people who are worried about the LHC – I’d like to clarify!

I certainly don’t think that people who are worried about new scientific endeavors are “tw*ts” ! Skepticism is a valuable and vital part of our society, and one which is perhaps sadly lacking in public debate. For the record, the concerns about LHC are certainly wrong from a scientific perspective – nature is rather more robust than we give her credit for, and nothing we can do at the low energies we can manage at LHC or anywhere else in the foreseeable future will affect us in any way. But – I would always encourage a rational debate about future advances in science, and in that sense I support the goals of this forum.

What I would say is that it is not sensible to hold an opinion in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Whilst I understand that much of the language of particle physics is opaque, there does come a time when it is worth accepting the views of experts. The analogy I would give is the design of aircraft wings – I am happy to trust an expert in aerodynamics to get it right rather than offer my own opinion about what shape they should be. It’s really the case that the particle physics community are sensible, rational human beings who go about their research because they believe that exploring the subatomic world is good for our civilization, not to mention interesting. It is also true that if anyone, including myself, had any doubt about the safety of what we are doing, we would stop immediately. I and all my colleagues consider our personal safety and the safety of our families to be FAR more important than the search for the Higgs particle – indeed, if the risk were even as high as 1 in a billion, or whatever people quote, then I would be campaigning with you to stop it.

But honestly – the case advanced against the LHC is based on the rather loud pronouncements of a couple of people who really do not have the knowledge to make them. This “jtankers” chap who posts all over the place began one statement claiming that we collide particles together at twice the speed of light, and Otto Rossler, whilst clearly a distinguished biochemist, has based his argument on a pretty basic error in General Relativity. Now I am not criticizing these gentlemen for offering an opinion, but wisdom comes from noticing when ones opinion is disproved by evidence. This is the key to science.

So, in summary – I support this forum as a place where skeptical voices can be raised, but skepticism must go hand in hand with rationality. When theories are shown to be false, the correct thing to do is to move on.

Yours,

Brian Cox

Did you ever read such self-serving drivel in your life before.

Prof Cox can get the oceanic feeling from "dirt". The universe is just dirt really. But it might be the Christian music that often accompanies representations of aspects of the universe which causes him to go all woosey. Slow movements usually. Sunsets against which he can pose for the librarians.

What's the natural explanation for people preferring the slow movements in musical performances. What's the natural explanation for music itself and its psychosocial and psychosomatic effects on people.

If you recited the words to Get It On without musical accompianment I very much doubt it would have the effects on females it does when played in the pub.

Remember the guy in the Seven Year Itch who was adapting Little Women for TV when he pushed the Rachmaninoff record (second piano concerto I think) back into the cabinet with some crack about it being a bit advanced.

On another site the Prof had compared the risks of starting up the LHC, which some had claimed would exterminate the earth in an instantaneous flash of negative energy, to the risk of his car blowing up when he started it up after the expert mechanic had repaired it. Same trick with the aircraft wings.

And look how he has searched for the serious headbangers to respond to whilst tweaking the egos of those who are well educated enough to know that nothing can go at twice the speed of light.

It reminds me of fm's general approach albeit on a higher stylistic plane.

The whole Christian mission got cancelled because some teacher in some nondescript dump was alleged to have burned a cross into some kids arm. Whether he did or not has not been reported so I assume he didn't.

That the Prof's car doesn't blow up, nor the plane crash, is taken as scientific proof, of the rigour skeptics practice, skepticism being a valuable and vital part of our society, that there are no risks in the LHC project.

Except to the taxpayer of course.
spendius

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 06:56 am
@spendius,
Tax being an involuntary contribution as distinct from the voluntary offerings to the collection plate.
0 Replies