New old dog: it's love again.

roger

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
That's interesting. Must be old habit or something. Maybe she didn't get to drink out for some reason?

In fair spring and fall weather I keep the door wide open so the cats can come and go as they please. What pleases Spooky is to come in after a good roll in the dirt, and use the litter pan. Sheesh!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:21 pm
@roger,
I've got serious yard cleanout to do. Manana..
but she'll enjoy being out there with me.
Maybe I can get her into liking outside water then.

This brings up flies. I happen to not like flies in the house, thus my trying to shorten door opening time.
roger

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Want me to check around an see if there are some good fly traps on the market this early? They won't keep them out, but the really do hold down the population.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 05:48 pm
@roger,
I had one last year that did nada. But I'll listen..
roger

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 06:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Maybe your flies are not as easily gulled as mine.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 08:53 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, have you seen any of the ads for the mesh curtains, that open and close in the center with magnets, that you can hang over your door opening to keep flies and bugs out, the way a screen door would? I don't know whether it would work on your back door to allow Katy to go in and out, or whether you already have a permanent screen/storm door in addition to your outside door. I just thought you might be interested.
http://www.magicmeshreviewsx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Magic-Mesh.jpg

The Magic Mesh I've seen advertised on TV and it intrigued me for possible use on the door from my kitchen to my garage, since that's how flies seem to get into my house. But it's also marketed as a screen door that pets can walk through, so you can leave your door open, the dog can go in and out at will, and flies won't get in.
https://www.magicmeshscreens.com/?tag=im|sm|go|gn&a_aid=011&a_bid=3f4b15e5

Most of the reviews of Magic Mesh I found through Google read like promos placed by the manufacturer.
But, I found these reviews on YouTube that seemed honest--parts 1 & 2 are one long review by the same person of the Magic Mesh on a sliding door, and part 3 is her review of it on a standard door--and she shows her dogs using it.

I'm very skeptical of these "as advertised on TV" products--I've tried a few that were complete junk--and I don't want the two for one offer on the Magic Mesh Web site, because the price gets jacked up by shipping charges and I really only want to try one of them. But the YouTube reviews suggest it does do the job--if it fits the door. So, if I can find it in CVS or Walgreens, I'm going to give it a try.

These are similar products on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Bug-Off-Instant-Magnetic-doorways/dp/B00178XCAY/ref=pd_sim_lg_2

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Screen-DS83937-Door/dp/B0035KF408/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 09:13 pm
@firefly,
I was looking at screen doors earlier and saw these at home depot and lowes, but thought, nah. But I'll look at them again. Thanks for the effort it took to link these, I appreciate it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 09:33 pm
@firefly,
I know what you mean, but based on solid and apparantly independent reviews, I ordered a lint brush "As seen on TV". It's as good as the best review, and still going strong. Just by the way, the vendor called themselves "The-as-Seen-On-TV-Guys", and they gave delivery at least equal to any other internet vendor I've dealt with.

Ya just never know.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 09:27 pm
Haven't reviewed the screens yet. Tomorrow is Monday, I'll shape up then.

I've figured out -
Katy will nose me and then follow me towards the kitchen and back door, lallygaggging slightly, if she wants dinner.
She will nose me and work up to a spring maneuver and rabbit down the hall and through the kitchen in front of me if she wants out.

This second bit has differing results so far, but I'm taking after-meal more seriously. This is different than Pacco - she really likes the yard, her territory, wants to be there. This may be shepherdness.

I should explain - the computer room, aka master bedroom, is at the back and I can look out the window to the yard, thus to spy.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 11:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
lallygaggging

Just learnt a new word. (Had to Google to find out what it meant exactly ...)
I like it!
I also like Katy's gentle nose-butting style of communicating her wishes you.
Good dog, Katy! Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 11:25 pm
@msolga,
ah, to me, google spells it wrong.

Katy is elegant in communication. It is to me to get it. Hearing may come into this as I don't hear all barks from the neighborhood.

She had an episode today with the neighbor's dog, let's say immediately south, though we are cattywampus here. This re the detached neighbor, who was fine with barking.
Haven't seen that dog in quite a while, but dog was old when I did see it/him. Must have been outside. Katy's bark got me to the door. But then she was keen to come in.

firefly

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:30 am
@roger,
Roger, I've bought some "as advertised on TV" things I was very happy with as well, but at least one was completely worthless.
What really turned me off was the "style snaps". This one really got me excited when I saw the TV ads because pants and jeans that are the perfect length when worn with heels are too long if I wear then with flats or sandals, and this seemed like the perfect solution.
http://www.asseenontvvideo.com/512220/Style-Snaps.html
I bought them in CVS for $10 for one package--which was in no way worth $10 given the very cheap materials involved and the amount in the package. And they didn't work! The advesive coating to hold them in place was almost non-existent, and they didn't adhere to the fabric and they just fell off. Sad Had I kept my receipt, which I didn't bother to do, I would have returned them.

With the Magic Mesh screen doors I'm leary about getting a worthwhile product at a cost of two for $19.99. I do tend to think you get what you pay for with something like that.

I hunted around and found a more expensive version that seems much better made than the Magic Mesh and comes in a wider variety of widths and lengths, and seems more likely to stay up on the door because it comes with a tension bar to support it.
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/imp/10005?cm_mmc=Amazon-_-DoorScreens-_-2012-_-214809&code-macs=MP2XW028&SourceCode=MP2XW028&mr:trackingCode=913185E1-9736-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

The one above, made by Improvements, is also sold by the Home Shopping Network and I checked out the reviews on their site which were pretty good. As long as you get the correct width and length for the door, they seem to do the job and the purchasers were happy with them. Many people seem to use them to allow pets to go in and out at will.
http://www.hsn.com/home-solutions/improvements-instant-screen-door-30_p-5684170_xp.aspx?ocm=sekw|best sellers&cm_re=merchzone_carousel*page1_spot2_image*merchzones

So, if I buy one of those magnetic-closing instant screens, which I am seriously thinking of doing, I will probably get the more expensive version because it's more likely I'll be happy with it.

firefly

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:51 am
@ossobuco,
My dog is not a barker, she has no territorial or watch-dog instincts whatsoever. But she does chime in her two cents if she's outside and the dogs next door or elsewhere in the vicinity start barking. On a summer's evening, if one dog around here starts barking, every other dog that's in a backyard, or being walked, will respond--it's like they are beating the tom-toms and telegraphing a message from one to the other, and it can be quite noisy for a few minutes. From the tone of my dog's barking, I often think she's telling them to, "Knock it off." Laughing

Katy and your neighbor's dog might just be getting used to each other's presence.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:52 am
@firefly,
Given that the screen works, my primary question is whether Katy will actually go in or out of it, since she strongly does not like to push the door open when it is already ajar but not widely ajar enough for her body. Only one way to find out.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:53 am
@firefly,
True.
Ragman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:02 am
@ossobuco,
Taking Brady to the vet for his yearly shots and toenail trimming. I've got to find a good nail trimmer that isn't the guillotine type. His nails are long, heavy and black and impossible for me to tell where the quick is.
roger

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:10 am
@Ragman,
I strongly favor the trimmers that look like a very small pair of sissors, with a notch for the claw in one blade. I have cats, but I bet the same principle applys. With the guillotine style, you have to approach the claw from only one angle. There's enough fussing around that the cats get agitated, which is neither good for the cat nor you. Cats have nice, translucent nails. With most dogs, I would go with the professional option.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:13 am
@Ragman,
So are Katy's, so I empathize. Pacco had one black nail, which was my excuse for taking him to a local place to get his nails trimmed - I didn't like to do the trimming in any case.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:15 am
@roger,
I even still have the clippers. I'm just very chicken to do it myself.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:27 am
@ossobuco,
Try bribery while you're on the outside with her favorite treat.
0 Replies