Does anybody EAT fruitcake?

Piffka

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:26 pm
Osso -- That is a good recipe, I've made it too. Do you use a pin to put holes all over it and then douse it with rum?

We are fruitcake eaters in this household. Not a lot, but some. A small fruitcake was brought home on Sunday, before we could barely dig in, the Chow girls found it and had it mostly devoured. I nibbled a few bits, it was delicious, soft and full of yummy nuts and ... things.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:10 am
Osso
I can help you eat it!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:29 am
homemade panettone? a wonderful thing. triple rising? as lawrence welk used to say, wunnerful wunnerful!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:18 am
My Mum makes the best boiled fruit cake in the world.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:21 am
I am sure she does!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:27 am
Boiled? Bagels are boiled, fruitcakes are, well, stored.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:29 am
stored and passed along to the next unlucky soul.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 12:55 pm
Why the heck would anyone eat a perfectly good fruitcake? I break 'em up and put them in the birdfeeder. Keeps the squirrels away.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 07:43 pm
I found an episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats show about making fruitcakes and thought I'd share it since we're nearing the season.

Part one:

Part two:

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:04 pm
Awwwwwww..... bandylu.....

That's one of those names that give me a little pang.....
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:20 pm
Fruit cack is great with coffee. Send me all your unwanted fruit cakes! I will appreciate it ! Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:03 pm
Fruitcakes make excellent doorstops and paperweights.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:07 pm
i've been known to eat a piece of fruitcake, but it's not a first choice for a holiday treat
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
I'm about to start this year's fruitcake making session.

Somebody had better eat the things!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:35 pm
giving this a try this year
http://image.presidentschoice.ca/presidentschoice/PI197086038380553E.jpg?wid=400&hei=400&cvt=jpeg
Prepared in the Scottish Highlands from a traditional recipe, this extraordinarily rich, moist delight contains sultana raisins, glacé cherries, single malt whisky and almonds.
Imported from Scotland.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 01:40 pm
Mine's prepared in the Sydney inner-western suburbs and has been liberally smothered in sherry. It was supposed to be Cointreau but I forgot to get it - maybe today - they can always take another drowning!

I wouldn't trust those Scots - they're not known for their cooking, you know. What do they offer the world: HAGGIS!

7 little fruitcakes sitting on the bench!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 03:30 pm
@margo,
I used to add Hennessey cognac to my cheesecloth fruitcake wraps, sometimes more than once while the fruitcakes rested in closed tins.
I might do some this year, while making the fruit apricot sweetened dried cranberries and my own sugared citrus peel.
Or else, a panettone, which doesn't take any booze but several dough rises. But that's a batch of work for something that disappears quickly. So are the fruitcakes, when you make a dozen, but they last and last if stored right and sliced thin.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:51 am
OK, what's the story? Why do so many Americans seemingly dislike fruitcake so much?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:57 am
@Wilso,
I DO like fruitcake, especially the Christmas kind of it, (Christmas-)Stollen.
aidan

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 04:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I love it too - my mom used to spend so much time and money making it- buying all the dried fruit and nuts and then she'd wrap it in these cloths soaked in brandy and store it until Christmas.

No one else in the family liked it but she and I- but she continued making it until I left home and now she makes it and sends it to me.

I've never had a bought one as good as hers - something about the texture is just so wonderful.
0 Replies