Does anybody EAT fruitcake?

Matrix500

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:56 pm
msolga...
The recipe for the fruit cake is good, not great. I think that if you find a fruit cake that's edible then it's good...

Found the recipe for the eggnog, though...(you can tell where my priorities lie Laughing ).

Pour a quart of fresh or pre-made eggnog into a punch bowl. Pour in 12 oz. of good dark rum. Stir. Fold in 1 cup (8 oz.) whipped heavy cream. Chill in refrigerator. Stir. Top individual servings with nutmeg...Serves 12, but I usually double the recipe.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:57 pm
Fresh tomatoes (without anything) are the best! But I do love a little chocolate here and there (not too much and not all the time). Actually I do like raisin bread (toasted with a little butter) and fresh french bread and the like, but it's the crust I like on them the best. But I need my sugar, too.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:27 am
I remember when weddiing cakes were fruit cakes, uh, ghastly!

My mother always made fruit cake, Christmas pudding, too. In honour of her lovely daugher (me!!), she'd make a Dundee cake too. A Scottish version, with more cake, less fruit, but still in the spirit.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:36 am
Mckenzie my mother made a christmas pudding to. Persimon pudding. She would get the persomons a week or two ahead of time and let them ripen and then make the steamed pudding. I never ever liked it but it was a family tradition.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:41 am
Chocolate, um, it's always around. Brownies are popular for lunch treats, but no one has a really sweet tooth.

Bread, well, that's a different story. My husband and son love bread, I mean love it ...

I don't have time to bake it from scratch, but a couple of good recipe books and a bread machine does the trick.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:42 am
Fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper, please.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:53 am
It was worse than the Christmas cake. And then then the hard sauce.

Joanne, no persimmons. I'm sure of that
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:08 am
Matrix500

Thank you for the eggnog recipe. It looks good AND easy to make, too.
Will definitely give it a try as soon as I've settled into my new home.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:33 am
Since
"Cakes were considered a symbol of well being by early American cooks on the east coast, with each region of the country having their own favorites. By the early 19th century, cakes were an accepted food of middle-class cooking, and no longer just for the rich." [from: "Cake history"]
I really do like fruit cake, especially "English fruitcake":

Fruitcake recipe

And "Kugelhopf" [Though generally thought of as Austrian, bakers from Alsace, Germany and Poland also claim credit for this light yeast cake. It's filled with raisins, candied fruits and nuts, and generally embellished with a simple dusting of confectioners' sugar. It's traditionally baked in a special fluted kugelhopf ring mold. Also called gugelhopf.] :

Kugelhopf recipe

And certainly I do like Stollen best (which varies from rather dry ["plain butter stollen" to 'wet' ["marzipan stollen"]):

Dresden Stollen

Marzipan Stollen

All about German Stollen
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 05:58 am
mmmmmmmm Stollen - i like the dry vs the marzipan version. Using amaretto instead of rum gives a similar taste without the mouth feel of marzipan, which i find a bit odd.

The kugelhopf recipe - turned into a folded marzipan shape is close to the way i like to prepare it (no candied fruit).
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:02 am
I just found this thread. I am not wild about fruitcake but I love English Christmas or plum pudding. I will buy it for Christmas dinner this year and steam it to refresh, then serve with brandy butter. I will serve an alternative sweet for plum-pudding haters. (I don't really want to know what is in plum pudding; I am a vegetarian, and I think there may be some "bad" stuff in there. LOL)

I went through a bread-baking phase; it lasted five or six years. I would set the sponge on a Thursday night, let it ferment overnight, add some water and flour the next night, and get to work on Saturday morning, adding flour and water and shaping, then setting to rise. The bread was marvelous. I used a bunch of slates in the oven; this was before one could buy baking stones in every cooking shop.

It is fun and creative stuff but takes lots of hours. My husband regularly laments the loss of my bread, especially something we dubbed "salt buns," which were small round 3/4-inch high bread buns. After they rose, and were ready to bake, I punched a small hole in each, with the end of a wooden spoon handle, and dropped in a bit of olive oil then a sprinkle of coarse salt. They froze well but we seldom had any left to put in the freezer.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:56 am
Mmmmm, Kara fresh home baked bread that is the best food on earth I think. Does Yorkshire pudding count, I used to make it every Christmat to go with our roast beef for my family.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 05:30 pm
Fruit Cakes arent something I would particularly enjoy seeing at the holidays...unless I can make some kind of science experiment out of it or something but..thats even scary.
My mother used to make a pineapple upsidedown cake with the green & red cherries...lol...it wasnt bad.
I like eggnog as well...rum is best.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 05:58 pm
Aren't fruit cakes used as door stoppers? <ducking>
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:07 pm
Jewish people...sheesh. Yes, of course a single fruitcake is commonly used as a door stopper. But that doesn't solve the problem of what to do with the thirty others that Aunt Nettie made, high on cooking rum and childhood memories. Canadian autos weave like Gene Kelly through the wintry drifts because of Christmas cake ballast.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:10 pm
I guess I should talk. After all, latkes are supposed to be made with a lot of oil.

I suppose if you're of both persuasions, though, you don't need snow tires as latkes and fruit cake will both make excellent ballast although I suspect fruit cake provides better traction.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:13 pm
mmmmmm latkes

i can remember as a kid having latke eating contests (tho we call them kartoffel puffer) - i once had 24 of them - now i can barely manage 4

stilllllllll delish tho
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:18 pm
I've not had them. Jes...could you mail me one please.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:27 pm
blatham, i'm surprised you've not run into some Mennonite variation of this treat. Best with home-made applesauce (especially if there are home-grown raspberries stewed in).

mmmmmmmmmmm

i need to find something to eat soon

after i click
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:37 pm
I might well have. Could you describe please. In aid of more fully imagining this (surely) delicasy, include yourself with a plateful in front of a fireplace and tell me what you are wearing. If you do this well, you'll have a shot at appearing on my cable TV cooking show, "Anabaptist Bake n Bite".
0 Replies