Does anybody EAT fruitcake?

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:40 pm
<mailing blatham a somewhat greasy package of latkes, which are then confiscated by the local authorities as being 'suspicious'>

Here's a recipe: http://www.uscj.org/ctvalley/waterbury/T/index.php?content=recipes.dir/latkesburger&title=Joel%20Burger%27s%20Latke%20Recipe

They say to puree the ingredients in a food processor; when I was growing up, latkes were made either by grating the potatoes or as a way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:42 pm
So, you're out shopping for fruitcake, and you ask the salesman, "Say, buddy, what kind of traction can I get outta' this baby?"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:45 pm
the potatoes HAVE to be grated BY HAND (those would be the emphatic tones of theHelga adding the emphasis) for a PROPER latke.

(my mother and a couple of her kaffeeklatsch friends used to make the latkes for the local Hadassah sale)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:48 pm
jes, ehBeth...this might be one of the dishes I passed over for delicious hot dogs (my mother gave up on me early).

roger

No one 'buy's fruitcake...that would be like buying algae or black mold. Fruitcake is considered a problem, something to be gotten rid of.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:51 pm
My mother always looked forward to the fruitcake that my dad got from the Board of Directors every year.

They came in very nice tins.

The fruitcake just disappeared until one year we discovered that a university room-mate of mine liked the stuff. We gave it to him for years after.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:53 pm
Jes, they're not pureeing the potatoes - just the onions. That MAY be acceptable. The potatoes are shredded - also acceptable (I feel the innerHelga struggling to be released and shout NO - THEY MUST BE GRATED).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:04 pm
Ach! The inner Yetta here is yelling "Zey MUST be grated by hand! And you must grate until your knuckles bleed!"

This is why latkes somehow end up fleishich even though they should be pareve (translation: This is why potato pancakes end up being counted as meat [for kosher purposes] even though they should be neutral).

I would grate or shred the onions, too. You gotta cry a little to make latkes! Oy! You know, it has something to do with the diaspora. Or maybe it's because of all of the salt and bits of oil in the air.

Speaking of all of this, dinner calls.

PS roger - do they sell fruit cake in the Sears Tire & Automotive Center? Or, is it like blatham says - fruit cake just sort of appears one day and is wholly outside the stream of commerce?

COMMIE FRUIT CAKE!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:16 pm
I would not be at all suprised to see them confused with a somewhat out of round tire.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:22 pm
Now are we all gonna come back after Christmas and find out who was faced with a fruitcake?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:23 pm
I'd rather have bloody knuckles and latkes anytime - cya at the grater, Yetta. :wink:
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:57 pm
plume cake is a different matter, however
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:04 pm
No one checking in here.
I'm the no one that buys a fruit cake every year and because my daughter detests it (and she's never even tasted it) I eat it all by my lonesome and enjoy every bite. The less cake the better. I like a lot of walnuts in it. My mother used to make a scrumptious fruit cake soaked in brandy, but I prefer rum. The best way to enjoy it is to pour the rum on it while you're eating it. :wink:
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:08 pm
Raggedyaggie, I think you've solved the problem. If you pour enough booze on the thing it'll begin to taste better and better. That method would work on all sorts of stuff.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:17 pm
But I really do enjoy fruitcake, Bandylu, with or without. Now, eggnog, that's a different story. Plenty of rum, brandy and whiskey for the eggnog. Laughing
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:20 pm
You know, we have fed fruitcake to the birds before and they really seemed to like it. Probably had a little problem getting up in the air after their meal, but they liked it.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:21 pm
This was not the stuff with lots of rum that my mom made...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:42 pm
I really like the idea of perhaps soaking a fruitcake in brandy for say....10 years and seeing what happens Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:49 pm
hmmmmm, maybe I'll make rum balls for xmas....

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/00/12/rumballs/

quinn, yours were yummy last year!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:53 pm
thanks..longtime family recipie...Christmas just wouldnt be the same without them!!
Plus...they're easy. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:55 pm
and, they're, like, low-fat. Whooda thunkit?
0 Replies