Does anybody EAT fruitcake?

margo

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 01:03 pm
Quinn, m'dear

Are you able to expand at all on the stuff wot got thrown in a bowl? I can probably wing it on the ball-rolling (no Craven images!), but need a tad of guidance on the "stuff"

The Southern hemisphere rumball virgin!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 01:24 pm
Gasp!
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 01:32 pm
i emailed 'Helga' for the recipe. i'll post it here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 01:44 pm
Kara

Any kind of chocolate, what you prefer.

1/8 liter = 125 ml, correct.

A small glass - well, I consider, about the seize of a "little whisk(e)y" in the morning up to a sherry when waiting for lunch :wink:
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 01:50 pm
Walter,

<<A small glass - well, I consider, about the seize of a "little whisk(e)y" in the morning up to a sherry when waiting for lunch>>

This is hearsay, I suppose??????????

margo, we'll see if your wheedle wins out over my whine...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 02:02 pm
<hicks> 2 cl (centiliter), I think, it really is.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 06:52 pm
dlowan

Your gasps lack credibility.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 07:02 pm
and credulity
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 07:16 pm
Helen of Troy walks the earth
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 07:57 pm
Geez, quinn, and all this time I thought that was the way to make meatballs!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:51 pm
meatballs, rumballs...anything that involves cooking actually Smile

Ill have to think about it a bit but, actually the recipie little k put links to is close
0 Replies

Ginny

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:37 pm
For some reason, in the last few years, I've grown to absolutely love fruitcake. The more little bits in it the better, of course (some fruitcakes are not wonderful), and any booze thrown into it is always a plus.
0 Replies

Ginny

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:43 pm
Oops, didn't read the whole thread! Great rum ball recipe - thanks! Made something similar once...ate too many...um, then l can't remember what happened next....
0 Replies

Ginny

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:45 pm
Don't have time to read all the pages, so maybe this is a repeat. In Canada, most wedding cakes are fruit cakes! Obviously, they must be very popular there.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:47 pm
Are you counting Plum Pudding as fruitcake?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 04:07 pm
I love Christmas Pudding (like Kara) - it is a gooey, sticky fruitcake type and it is stinking of booze! I usually steam it before serving, pour brandy over it and set it on fire (very impressive at the dinner table!) and then I will serve hot custard or whipped cream as the topping. Yummy. Although one slice is all anyone can usually manage because it's so filling.

LittleK - I think those green things you mentioned are actually mixed peel, which would be the sliced/chopped rinds off lemons, oranges and limes (the green ones being the rinds off limes). Not dyed at all.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 04:11 pm
Recipe for Christmas Pudding:
http://www.harvest-gold-wholefoods.co.uk/recipes.html#pud
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 04:31 pm
My Grandmother's Dowding - English Plum Pudding reciept has some of the best things in it, molasses,cannied fruit, raisins, currants mace, and suet. Put in a can steam it-up and serve with a Hard Sauce. My experience is that you either love it or hate it.
0 Replies

Ginny

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:08 pm
OK now I've read through everything, finally! We were at a wedding in Toronto in the 1970's, and they had the most beautiful wedding cake decorated with lilies of the valley. My husband especially was looking forward to having a piece. When they cut it, to his absolute horror, it was fruit cake! He hates fruitcake! And then, everyone was telling us to put a piece under your pillow and you would dream of the person you loved (but yuk!), and that the wedding couple would save the top layer for their first anniversary (fruitcake does keep A LONG TIME!).

The best fruitcakes in Toronto, though, IMHO, is the ones with marzipan icing (but then I love marzipan). Don't especially like plum pudding - too hot, too greasey, too intense - but will eat it with hard sauce to be polite.

This season my M-I-L is sending me a fruitcake that she has made - it's quite wonderful, and my husband will even eat a bit of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:03 pm
Ok, it is lonely here for us fruitcake lovers. I sit alone surrounded by m'fruitcakes, well, good, more for me. First I take a big bowl and quadruple the Joy of Cooking Fruitcake Cockaigne recipe. I use mostly my own, sorry Craven, candied lemon and orange peel. Lots of nuts. Golden raisins and currants. Wrap the loaves in Remy Martin or Hennessy cognac soaked cheesecloth, wrap that in lots of foil, store that in tins for three or four weeks.

Well, you may not like it, but Ahhhhh doo.

I make homemade panettone too, one of those three rise in approaching three day recipes, very light, eggy, good. Beats the packaged thing by a long shot.

Oh, well, you all have your minds made up....

Smiling.
0 Replies