Does anybody EAT fruitcake?

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:00 pm
msolga wrote:
What do they use them for in Brazil? Sounds like they're very popular.

I think people eat them, or use them to ward off unwanted guests. Dunno, I never ever attend any christmas parties. I wait till midnight (my friends have to stay with their families till midnight) and then I go out to a bar or club.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:01 pm
Dried fruit is nice, crystalized sugar fruits aren't.

I LOVE nuts!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:01 pm
littlek

Could be ... but dyeing them green sounds like the sort of stuff that makes boys hyperactive! ( I speak as a teacher of many boys ... Green & red dyes in food & drink seem to INFLAME them! Shocked )
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:03 pm
I believe the red marischino cherries are dyed, too. See that, msolga, by the time we get done here we'll convince you that you really don't like fruitcake at all.

And don't forget the sugar used to candy all that fruit -- designed to make everyone hyperactive.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:04 pm
Well, I have never been inflamed by green, crystalized fruit.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:04 pm
There doesn't seem to be a lot of them in the fruit cakes I've eaten .... But lots in the store-bought varieties here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:05 pm
Roger

Maybe you need to have lots more to get the desired effect?
Or try red soft drink - that works a dream! Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:07 pm
I think it's the sugar. And girls be hyper too! They just internalize and plot evil things to do to us boys!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:07 pm
I don't like regular fruit cake, but my mom gave me a fruit cake recipe years ago that was different and it really wasn't too bad...People actually ate this stuff. I haven't baked desserts of any kind since my daughter became diabetic 10-1/2 years ago, but if I can find the recipe I'll post it here. This fruit cake is not rock hard, and didn't have a bunch of gross stuff in it.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:09 pm
It did have a lot of rum in it...I remember that.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:12 pm
Matrix, that might explain why everyone ate your fruitcake. Rum will do that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:13 pm
Craven

Evil girls?
After the red/green dyes in soft drinks at lunch time it's definitely the boys! They get a WILD look about them! Mind you, you have to consume quite a lot to get the effect! Amazes me, the quantity of soft drink some students can consume in one lunch-time! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:16 pm
Incidentally, why are some people described as "fruitcakes"?
Anyone know?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:17 pm
Matrix, the phrase ". . . and it really wasn't too bad..." is practically a definition of damning with faint praise.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:19 pm
msolga,

Wimmins is evil, tis fact. Botha joke and a long story (that ends with me losing my urinals to dlowan, beth et al.).

I was hyper as a kid, still am. I'm trying to think of a hyper girl so you just might be right.

But still, wimmins is evil.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:20 pm
I believe the entire phrase is 'nutty as a fruitcake' which is kind of self-explanatory.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:22 pm
LOL
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:25 pm
Craven

You lost your urinals!!? Shocked Did that hurt?
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:27 pm
Oh, man...I feel like a sinking ship here. Laughing

bandylu...
The rum just might have done the trick, but my eggnog with rum is MUCH better!

roger...
This fruit cake does taste better than the other ones that I've tasted. I can eat it...and remember, I never said I was a fan of fruit cake, only that the one made with this recipe that I got from my mom isn't bad. It's edible, which is something I can't say about the others.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:28 pm
They tried their best to take em, I still have em but they tried. See? Evil I tell ya.
0 Replies