Kerry's war record Vs Bush's

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:07 pm
ps

and please...the frequency of your posts ought to be in ratio (approximately) to what others are doing.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:13 pm
Tantor wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
As Commander-in-Chief of all the armed forces, I think both Bushes have handled themselves quite admirably. The times we are living in demand a president who will not be weak against our enemies. Bush II has shown no weakness. Some decry Bush's sending our young-men off to die. I say that he is sending our soldiers off to do their jobs. To protect America and the American way of life. "Speak softly, but carry a big stick". Bush has done just that.

What Bush did or didn't do 30 years ago does not matter a bit to me. He has shown himself to be a man of distinction and a man that has been forced to make many tough decision's. I would not want to be in his position, deciding another man's fate is no easy task. Bush has shown that he is a man of character and faith. He has shown himself to be a true leader of our armed forces.

My God, you are truly unbelievable.....

I couldn't agree with the first paragraph more. The Bush's are good war presidents, certainly much better than JFK and LBJ, who screwed up the wars they fought.

However, like LBJ, he has started a war for no good reason.

Quote:
And Clinton, holy cow. He screwed up a little humanitarian mission in Somalia. You really can't improve on the Bush's if you need to fight a war.

So, where was the "need to fight a war" in IRaq?

Quote:
It does matter to me what Bush did thirty years ago. To be blunt, Bush in his twenties sounds like a headstrong knucklehead who needed a good kick in the pants every other day. However, he did join the military when it was very unpopular to do so.

Er...actually, he joined the Texas ANG, a unit extremely unlikely to ever see combat, and did so thanks to strings pulled by his father.

Quote:
I have no doubt that he took casual abuse from hippie jerks just like all of us in uniform did at that time.

If you insist.

Quote:
Bush did not take some time-serving job in the military either like Gore or Dukakis, but a very demanding job in a dangerous profession: flying tactical jets. Even in peacetime, there is a steady drip of deaths just going out to the range and back. You can get killed just walking away from the jet.

Of course, he racked up the minimum number of hours possible, and put in less than a full year of flight time when he got to his unit, before blagging off.

Quote:
Just being in the military gives you a perspective and values that make you a more effective commander. You are more likely to value the lives of those military people and less likely to think of them as chess pieces in a political game, as Clinton did.

"Bring'em'on." Sure seems like he values military lives to me.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:08 am
Tantor wrote:

It does matter to me what Bush did thirty years ago. To be blunt, Bush in his twenties sounds like a headstrong knucklehead who needed a good kick in the pants every other day. However, he did join the military when it was very unpopular to do so. I have no doubt that he took casual abuse from hippie jerks just like all of us in uniform did at that time. Bush did not take some time-serving job in the military either like Gore or Dukakis, but a very demanding job in a dangerous profession: flying tactical jets. Even in peacetime, there is a steady drip of deaths just going out to the range and back. You can get killed just walking away from the jet.

Tantor

I was a long haired "hippie" musician at the height of the Viet Nam conflict, and was in opposition to the war, as I will always be to any unnecessary contest whose aims are for profit (bush inc) or for showing the world that you really do have a large penis (lbj and bush), and at this time I was in the house band at a club right down the road from Ft. Bragg.
Six nights a week hundreds and thousands, literally, of away from home for the first time, frightened and unsure young men who suspected (correctly) that they would leave this North Carolina town for Viet Nam and never see home again left the gates of Bragg and came out to party and get high and blow it out a few last times before heading to their possible and probable deaths. I spent two years in a house band there during this time and saw many come and go.

I don't recall seeing a lot of these young soldiers taking abuse of any kind from hippies, certainly not from me or anyone in my band, but I do recall seeing them taken advantage of by realtors, car salesman, pawn shop owners, furniture stores, a whole slew of "establishment" business people, you know, the decent regular people with their "We finance anyone over E2" advertising and attending huge interest rates and shoddy quality. I saw them ripped off by hookers who came in from as far as Texas on military payday. I saw them abused by the local police constantly. Some local hoodlum would pick a fight with a GI, the police would arrive and automatically begin kicking the **** out of the soldier and then throw him in the patrol car. I saw them abused by drug dealers, some of which could be qualified as hippies I suppose, but mostly they were just ruthless businessmen.

To this day when I think of the thousands of young men and women in uniform that I saw pass through the doors of that club and realize that half of them got killed or maimed or psycologically and spiritually damaged for NOTHING it makes me sad, and it also makes me disgusted that people like our current president and most of his lackeys who ducked out now beat the drums of war with so much conviction and downright glee.

It's real easy and real stupid to lump all soldiers under the umbrella "baby killer" in times of war, but NO MORE STUPID than generalizing all people as "hippies" who disagreed with a useless stupid war that accomplished nothing but death and division. Oh, and big profits for a handful of war profiteers. Boy that sounds familiar.

Wise up why not and get the chip off your shoulder.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 10:16 am
Wow, great post, Bear.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 07:42 pm
Why not? The former eastern bloc countries have been selling off MIGs for ten years. They are now on the airshow circuit, along with surplus F-86s, and T-38s.I would LOOOOVVVVEE to eb able to afford to go to a place in Arizona, where you can get type rated in one of them. Of course you will never fly it again, but I would love to have it on my cert! Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 08:10 pm
As I understand it, its an ex-Blue Angles craft, and was legitimately purchased, having been de-miltarized and declared surplus. Supposedly, everything needed to get it working is all there. It would make a helluva draw at airshows. I'd love to see it show up at Oshkosh. Maybe John Travolta moght be interested ... he's an avid jet jockey, and has said he'd love a chance to fly a current line fighter. A Hornet would sure qualify on that regard.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 08:37 pm
Considering that some outfit in Florida has a MIG 29, it would make a great companion!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 10:19 pm
hummmmmmmmmmmm......

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-02-11-bush-guard-usat_x.htm

Quote:
The nature of what was blacked out in Bush's records is important because certain legal problems, such as drug or alcohol violations, could have been a basis for denying an applicant entry into the Guard or pilot training. Admission to the Guard and to pilot school was highly competitive at that time, the height of the Vietnam War.

The National Guard cited privacy as the reason for blacking out answers. The full, unmarked records have never been released. Bartlett did not respond Wednesday to a request to release the records with nothing blacked out, which Bush could do as the subject of the records.

Burkett says that the state Guard commander, Maj. Gen. Daniel James III, discussed "cleansing" Bush's military files of embarrassing or incriminating documents in the summer of 1997. At the time, Burkett was a lieutenant colonel and a chief adviser to James. He says he was just outside James' open office door when his boss discussed the records on a speakerphone with Joe Allbaugh, who was then Gov. Bush's chief of staff.

In Burkett's account, Allbaugh told James that Bush's press secretary, Karen Hughes, was preparing a biography and needed information on Bush's military service.

In an interview, Burkett said he recalled Allbaugh's words: "We certainly don't want anything that is embarrassing in there." Burkett said he immediately told two other officers about the conversation and noted it in a daily journal he kept. The two officers, George Conn and Dennis Adams, confirmed to USA TODAY in 2002 that Burkett told them of the conversation within days.

Soon afterward, there was a series of meetings of top commanders at Texas Guard headquarters at Camp Mabry. Bush's records were carried between the base archives and the headquarters building, according to Burkett and the second Guard official, who was there.

The meetings were confirmed in a 2002 interview by USA TODAY with William Leon, who was the state Guard's freedom-of-information officer in the 1990s. He was involved in discussions about what to release. Leon declined to comment on the substance of the meetings except to say, "We were making sure we released it properly and made sure we did it in a timely manner."

Contacted at home Wednesday night, he refused to talk to a reporter. He said: "Don't ever call me again at home. I'll call your publisher and sue you."

Burkett first made his allegation just before the 2000 election, when it was carried on some Internet sites but went largely unreported by mainstream news media. The issue resurfaced Wednesday in the Dallas Morning News as Bush's military record took center stage in the presidential campaign.

Allbaugh, James and the White House denied Burkett's story. As president, Bush has since elevated James to be director of the Air National Guard for the entire country.

In an interview that aired Sunday on NBC's Meet the Press, Bush said he fulfilled his Guard commitment and offered to make his records public. Host Tim Russert asked, "Would you authorize the release of everything to settle this?" Bush replied, "Yes, absolutely."

Since then, White House officials have released only documents concerning whether Bush fulfilled his service obligations. White House statements have not addressed the release of any papers that could show disciplinary actions, medical exams, legal scrapes and the like.

On Tuesday, the White House released pay records from a military archive in Denver that it said showed Bush was paid for at least the minimum training time he was obligated for in 1972 and 1973.

But the records showed only what days he was paid for, not where he was or what duty he performed. Neither did they address outstanding questions about why Bush missed a required physical in 1972, forcing him to stop flying, or what happened during a five-month gap in 1972 when Bush didn't show up for training.

When reporters asked for further evidence Tuesday, Bush press secretary Scott McClellan said, "Obviously, if there's any additional information that came to our attention that was relevant, we would make that information available."

On Wednesday, McClellan said those seeking additional details on Bush's records are "trolling for trash for political gain," and engaging in "gutter politics."

He didn't directly answer a question about why Bush had missed his physical.

And Bartlett said: "The issue is about the president's service in the National Guard. The president said he was committed to releasing any records we have to show that he served."

Contributing: Judy Keen
0 Replies

Tantor

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 10:52 pm
blatham wrote:
tantor

If you truly want to discuss, and sharpen your arguments, then lay off the generalizations and ad hominems. Be specific, be polite, and be careful.

Blatham, you are simply not credible when you single me out in your accussations while you let your liberal buddies on this thread let fly the generalizations and ad hominems you falsely purport to object to. This is simply an attempt to squash an opinion different from yours.

I don't take your objections seriously because you don't take your objections seriously.

Tantor
0 Replies

Tantor

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:12 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I don't recall seeing a lot of these young soldiers taking abuse of any kind from hippies, ....

It's real easy and real stupid to lump all soldiers under the umbrella "baby killer" in times of war, but NO MORE STUPID than generalizing all people as "hippies" who disagreed with a useless stupid war that accomplished nothing but death and division. Oh, and big profits for a handful of war profiteers. Boy that sounds familiar.

Wise up why not and get the chip off your shoulder.

Bear, you're not the first nor the last of the lefties who claim to have never seen military people abused by hippies back in the Vietnam days. However, if you were wearing a uniform practically anywhere in public in the United States you attracted unprovoked abuse. Every single person in the military at the time experienced this, more or less. It was common as rainy days. Most young military guys like me avoided wearing uniforms off base just to avoid the name-calling. In my case, it was always long-haired types who came out of nowhere to spout their venom.

And by the way, it's still going on in some places, though thankfully it doesn't enjoy the wild popularity it did when I was in uniform in 1973. It wasn't until Reagan was elected that military folks began choosing to wear their uniforms off base.

I don't doubt that people like you don't want to be embarassed with the facts of life now that it's not popular to trash the troops anymore. We sat and took hippie abuse back then. Now it's your turn to have such abuse recalled to your shame. That's perfectly fair.

The "hippies" had few noble principles in opposing the war. They just didn't want to be drafted to fight anywhere for anything. That's why all the major protests ended when the US began pulling out in 1973. The Vietnam War continued for another couple years while the protestors, now safe from being sent there, lost interest. Their interest did not extend beyond themselves.

Tantor
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:21 pm
Tantor just a thought here but i came back from southeast asia in '64 and began protesting the war in '65. While driving from Buffalo NY back home to Colorado im '66 I was pulled over by the local police (I had long hair) they wanted to bust me for "burning my draft card" soI pulled out my Honarable Discharge Card and they were really pissed that they couldn't bust me so they just pulled me out of my car and cut off my hair with scissors and ran me out town. (So should I have been in uniform to get repect?)
0 Replies

Tantor

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:23 pm
In repsonse to Lola's article about Bush's TANG record being "sanitized":

I'm hard pressed to think of something in a Guardsman's records that would be embarassing that would only be in the local Guard office files. Any serious administrative action would be in the Air Force personnel records. You can't sanitize those.

If you had an FEB, flunked a flight physical, had a court martial, etc, that would be in the Air Force records in Denver.

The part of Bush's record blacked out with respect to arrests lists his arrests as a college student for stealing a wreath and being rowdy at a football game.

Tantor
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 01:22 am
In a little less than 4 months, Kerry picked up a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, and 3 Purple Hearts ... but no hospital time? I can see getting slightly wounded once, maybe, but three times in a few weeks, and not once seriously hurt? No lost duty time? That's just difficult to comprehend. I don't have any first hand experience with riverine warfare; I was up in I Corps for both of my tours. I've read about it, and talked to guys who did it, and as I understand it, combat involving water-borne river patrol is damned up-close-and-personal; the rivers aren't all that wide, and they're mostly foliage right down to the banks. When the metal started flying, it was usually an ambush situation, theirs or ours, and at close range. Mostly, you either didn't get hurt at all, or you got hurt real bad. Kerry got 3 scratches? I certainly won't say it couldn't happen, but I have to say I've never heard of it happening.

I don't fault him for taking an early rotation out-country following his third Purple; I did pretty much the same thing. I didn't have anything to say about it though; I was shipped back for orthopedic therapy and two more surgeries at Great Lakes Naval Hospital. My discharge from the hospital was a few months later, and a few weeks before the end of my enlistment. Still, I skated on two months of that tour. I limp from that one, and have for over 35 years. The other two Purples left me with some pretty evident scars, and some fond memories of clean sheets and genuine American Female-type nurses, real treats at the time, but no continuing inconvenience.

Not to dispute Kerry's Purples and other awards, but I'd sure like to know more about them. I'd be very interested to see the award recomendations, and the actual citations, and who initiated them and who signed off on them. Just curious.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:32 am
Tantor wrote:
Quote:
I'm hard pressed to think of something in a Guardsman's records that would be embarassing that would only be in the local Guard office files. Any serious administrative action would be in the Air Force personnel records. You can't sanitize those.

The issue here is about privilege. I'll repost that part of the article you seem to have missed:

Quote:
The nature of what was blacked out in Bush's records is important because certain legal problems, such as drug or alcohol violations, could have been a basis for denying an applicant entry into the Guard or pilot training. Admission to the Guard and to pilot school was highly competitive at that time, the height of the Vietnam War.

Here's a quotation from Colin Powell's book, written I believe in 1995:

Quote:
I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well placed ...
managed to wangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units. Of
the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country.

--Colin Powell
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:02 am
Powell's quote is very damning when taken out of context, isn't it? In that quote, Powell is infuriated over the loopholes that the government left open in the draft, not at the individuals who were taking advantage of the loopholes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:48 am
http://csmonitor.com/2004/0217/csmimg/cartoon.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:57 am
Timber, are you saying now that Kerry's war heroics never happened?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 10:17 am
McGentrix wrote:
Powell's quote is very damning when taken out of context, isn't it? In that quote, Powell is infuriated over the loopholes that the government left open in the draft, not at the individuals who were taking advantage of the loopholes.

So Powell is infuriated over loopholes that allow people to take advantage of the system, but is not angry with the people who use the infuriating loopholes to take advantage of the system. Now THAT'S the best example of bush inc. style doublespeak I've heard lately. McGentrix, you are to be complimented and will receive an "I Like Bush (As Long As It's Properly Covered) t-shirt.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 10:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

So Powell is infuriated over loopholes that allow people to take advantage of the system, but is not angry with the people who use the infuriating loopholes to take advantage of the system. Now THAT'S the best example of bush inc. style doublespeak I've heard lately. McGentrix, you are to be complimented and will receive an "I Like Bush (As Long As It's Properly Covered) t-shirt.

Very Happy Oh boy! Free t-shirts are always fun!
0 Replies