I got a job!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 01:12 pm
@chai2,
CONGRATULATIONS, Chai !
I hope it pays well. What r u gonna DO ?

Best of Luck in getting RICH, RICHER and in becoming the RICHEST!

and the closest! and the Happiest!

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 01:24 pm
@chai2,
Good goin', Chai.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 10:46 am
@chai2,
Yeah - I'm glad for you.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:22 am
@chai2,
Great news! We'll all be anxious to hear how it goes!
Cool
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:25 am
@chai2,
Congrats! I hope it's a great fit.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 08:33 pm
Congratulations and the best of luck to you!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 10:14 pm
@chai2,
Smile
Well done, chai.
And good luck! I hope you like the job.
Really happy for you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 06:56 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Well, I just got offered and accepted a position.

I start on Wednesday.
I'll report back how it's going after a week or so.

I will say this, it's 2.3 miles from my house, right in downtown.

I do feel very excited, but I want to see how this plays out.

Well, I'm glad I said above I want to see how this plays out, because it didn't.

This was to be a temp to perm thing, and I was there for a little more than 2 months.

I initially interviewed with 2 of the 4 people I was to report to, and met the other 2 as soon as I started.

One of them is the reason I'm gone. I'll call her Mary. I had an extremely brief initial meeting with her shortly after starting, less than 10 minutes. She was gone on vacation immediately after that for a week, then one day in the office, and was traveling for the rest of that week. So, first 2 weeks with 10 minutes contact. When she came back. I met w/ her again, briefly also, with not much more understanding of her personality (or hers of mine) After a few more brief encounters, she let me know when she'd need any assistance from me. I'd once or twice a week see her, but she never asked for anything when we would briefly talk.

So, at around day 45, I had a review with my main boss, and someone from HR, and was shocked (and I mean you could have literally knocked me over with a feather) to learn that Mary had said I was of no help to her, that I had handed in needed reports to her late by an entire business week, and that she had no need for me after my not being able to be timely.

Well. It was easy enough to prove I not only gave her the report in question on time, but in fact was one day early with it. She insisted (I guess thinking I was able to go back in time and send a back dated email to her with me saying "The reports on your desk"....one she never opened) I was late....then added in (she pulled this out of her ass) that I "lost a receipt" she gave me. When I tried to explain I'd never been given any receipts, I realized it made no difference what I said......I learned from others at that time that once Mary wanted to believe something, that was it.

The cherry on the sundae was a week later, on a Friday, when I was looking at one of my directors calendar, and saw an interview set up for my position!
I approached her and asked "This interview....this is for MY position?" After an initial surprise on her part, at least she had the courtesy of saying yes. But the horse was out of the barn as far as I was concerned. What, you were just going to keep me around until you found someone else? They didn't even tell the agency I was going through, but was going through someone else.

The worst part was the next week, as my agency would not release me from the position, and if I told them I wasn't going back, they would have considered that me quitting, and wouldn't ever refer me somewhere again. Before anyone thinks that's shitty of the agency, that's the way they all work. It's just the way it is.
I'd call the agency every morning to find out if they had discussed this with the company, starting on the 2nd day I started letting them know this situation was making me ill. It was, my stomach was in a knot, I had headaches, neck aches....and once my main supervisor realized that no, I wasn't happy just showing up day to day, but that obviously I had been looking for a permanent job, she just made things unpleasant.

Finally, last Wed, the agency and HR talked, and they released me that afternoon. I have to wonder if now I'm tainted goods in the eyes of this agency, and what the odds are they will find me something else.
Yeah, I'm signed up with other agencies of course, but they aren't in infinite supply.

Oh, in addition, as I started talking to others at the company, I've heard a lot of stories of "wanting to walk off"....."that manager's crazy".....basically it's wasn't what it looks like.

However, that doesn't help me from feeling worthless right now. I'm not usually like this, but with my husband going in for his surgery tomorrow, I'm just feeling down and stressed.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:04 pm
@chai2,
You are the opposite of worthless. Have them call me. (Of course I've got the wrong creds, but still.)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:16 pm
@chai2,
Since getting someone to employ you is looking increasingly sketchy think about making your own job. You need a good idea plus financing. There are a ton of people over 50 in your boat with you but the smart hard workers often figure something out. I for instance had aged out of my profession, so my only option was to open my own place. I made myself a job.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Since getting someone to employ you is looking increasingly sketchy think about making your own job. You need a good idea plus financing. There are a ton of people over 50 in your boat with you but the smart hard workers often figure something out. I for instance had aged out of my profession, so my only option was to open my own place. I made myself a job.

I was born and raised in a family business, and have no desire to have my own.

Especially as my most prized possession in my peace of mind.

Period. Full Stop.

btw, thanks osso. You know me, I can get down, but I don't stay there.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:29 pm
Well that's a pain in the patoot.

On the upside - you don't have to ask for a day off tomorrow, and you're available for more palatable opportunities.

I hope your inner simpleChai gets back to recognizing your innate value soon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:29 pm
@chai2,
The question is whether to fight this piece of work as she is a danger to all, or whether that is a waste of time. I've not worked corporate - though I've worked university. I had a tussle once, but that passed, and I was multiply upgraded. Not to brag, that was just what was going on. Not related to my being a woman, or not very much so.

I'm not knowledgeable about smarts on this now, so this is just instinct. I'd wait a bit, until you calm down, and write some reports, perhaps reviewed by someone presently sane like an attorney, but not particularly with suit aim.

Or not.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 07:44 pm
@chai2,
It's really tough out there right now. Those who need jobs are trying to make a good impression and those who have them are trying to make sure no one takes their's away from them. I don't have an answer for you but can commiserate re the process of finding a good and healthy fit.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 08:48 pm
@chai2,
I'm sorry it didn't work out, Chai.

Obviously that company wasn't good enough for you.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 03:53 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You need a good idea plus financing.

This reminded me of the Steve Martin routine:
Quote:
"You.. can be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes! You can be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes! You say.. "Steve.. how can I be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes?" First.. get a million dollars. Now.. you say, "Steve.. what do I say to the tax man when he comes to my door and says, 'You.. have never paid taxes'?" Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: "I forgot!"

No advice other than just move on and hope for less crazy in the next opportunity - so much of it is luck and not what we can control. Wishing you and your hubby better weeks ahead.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:28 am
Thanks Eva and GW.

It's not at all I'm not "too good" for them. I think they were just one of those toxic corporate work environments. They aren't that new a company, but because of need, and aggressive contracting, they are growing very very fast. They're a behavioral healthcare organization, one company of several under the umbrella company that has like 20 health plans and a dozen specialty companies under it. A lot of the individuals working there were good. Professional and good to work with. But there's always got to be the few who have to be pricks. In a small group situation you can talk to, or at least deal with them. Here, someone like this has the shield of there just being too many other things, more important things going on to really care about a little tyrant. I'm not trying to make it sound like "poor me" We've all known someone like this.

ehbeths right. I have to find my simple chai and take a hard look at what is really important to me. Well, I know what is important, but now I need to look at the other side of the balance sheet, and see if what I'm seeking is really what I want/need.

thanks ehbeth, you've given me food for thought.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:28 am
@chai2,
An, I'm sorry. Wish I could make it feel better. If it helps there are a$$es every where - sorry you had to deal with one.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:43 am
@chai2,
Well, that sucks.

Too bad the organization couldn't pull their collective heads out and figure out that if the lady lied in order to get rid of you then she needs to go.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:52 am
@DrewDad,
I'm on my way out the door right now....going for a swim, then it'll be time for Wally's outpatient thing....

Just wanted to say thanks to all, including your last post drewdad.

It helps with this niggling feeling of "what if it IS me?"

I think what pissed me off most is this questioning my integrity.....which is what I felt it came down to.

Moreover, what does it say about someone elses integrity to have to fabricate things about someone (me) who isn't in a position, or known well enough by others, to say "that's bull"