I got a job!

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 09:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
feh = an exclamation indicating mild or moderate disapproval. It stinks.

A mother might ironically reply (in private) to her son's query about what she thinks of his new girlfriend. She replies, "Feh, how nice."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
I think it's just a substitute for "damn, damn, damn".

And chai - not to sound snarky - but make sure their check doesn't bounce.
I've known more than one person who's had that happen at a job.
Thank u.
I used to say that, b4 I began taking Pantothenic Acid.

David
DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:59 am
@chai2,
That sucks.

And I think it's really, really, stupid to get rid of the talented person who can make things efficient and thus save them more money.

I suspect there was some intimidation involved, though

One thing I've learned from dealing with our customers is: you want them to think you're smart, but you don't want them to think you're too smart.
JPB

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:26 am
@DrewDad,
Yep. Innovative employees scare the old guard. Especially, innovative employees who don't pretend they're clueless.

Sorry this one didn't work out, chai. Hopefully the next one will be a success.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 12:39 pm
@JPB,
There is a T-shirt for IT folks that reads, "Go away, or I will replace you with a very small shell script."
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

jespah wrote:

Thank u.

You used to say "make sure their check doesn't bounce" before taking Pantothenic Acid?

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

When I get in the bathtub, I always say "ooh ah, ooh ah....ah ah ah, easy does it, ahhhhh...." just like bugs bunny did in when getting into a cannibals pot in one of his cartoons.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:48 pm
@chai2,
jespah wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thank u.
chai2 wrote:
You used to say "make sure their check doesn't bounce" before taking Pantothenic Acid?
Its good to say it. Its even better to DO it.

chai2 wrote:
Hey, whatever floats your boat.

When I get in the bathtub, I always say "ooh ah, ooh ah....ah ah ah, easy does it, ahhhhh...."
just like bugs bunny did in when getting into a cannibals pot in one of his cartoons.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU-g1_V7X44[/youtube]
Those were the days. Its been a while.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 01:57 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I.....wait for it......am now out of a job again.

It looks like he had less money than he thought, and couldn't afford me.

I'm really sorry to hear this, chai.

As for your employer, what can one say?
Dunderhead? Rolling Eyes

I'd suspect, if this is how he runs his business, it's probably better you're out of there sooner, rather than later ...
But that's not much consolation to you right now, I know.

Here's wishing you the very best in the next phase of your job searching.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 01:40 pm
@msolga,
Thanks Olga.

However, my period of shock, anger, self doubt, uncertainty etc. is over.

As with most things, I just can't seem to muster up enough of those emotions to last for than a couple of days.
I am a simple Chai.

I've got work lined up for the weekend and next Wed, and starting next Friday I'm going to be working at a florists for the Mother's Day rush. There should be overtime with that.

On Monday I applied for 3 jobs online, and have been looking at the jobs sites each day.

Ya just gotta keep on keeping on. No regrets, just will be glad when I'm settled in somewhere.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 06:05 pm
@chai2,
Ok, I need some quick advice gang.

Last week, I was told by the recruiter I've been working with that she's working on a position with a non-profit that's downtown.
I take that to mean, she is trying to get them as a client.

I just saw an ad on indeed which I am 99% sure is the non-profit she meant. It would be a great opportunity.

Should I go ahead and apply myself on indeed, or wait for her?
Should I call the recruiter and ask if it's the XYZ foundation?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 06:13 pm
Call the recruiter, but instead ask, "Can you tell me which foundation it is?" Don't mention the name to start.

Specifically say you want to be sure so that you aren't accidentally double-submitted. If you're given hints instead of a name (and they fit the description of XYZ), fell free to ask, is it XYZ? The point I'm making is to see if she'll blink first.

Recruiters often, in my experience, feel out job seekers in order to see if they can get job leads from us. So see if you can turn the tables a bit - your knowledge is of some value - if you can be the one with information, she may be more inclined to work with/promote you as you would (to her) be a decent source of leads.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 07:27 pm
@jespah,
Thanks jes, I agree with what you say.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 07:40 am
@jespah,
And to add to that - I've found better results working with a recruiter rather than submitting my resume on my own. My first job out of college, I sent in my resume with a cover letter to a particular company. They did not necessarily have a job opening, but the company was recommended to me by a person I knew that worked in my college Career Placement Office and as well as this technique.

Any way, I never heard back from them - I saw an ad about getting jobs via a recruiting office - I called went in for an interview and shortly after that, they sent my resume to the same company - I was called not too long after that, set up with an interview and got the job. After working there a month, I get a call from the company asking if I was still looking for a job. With great satisfaction, I told the HR person on the phone, funny I've been working for you for over a mnth.
Linkat

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 07:41 am
@Linkat,
And the recruiter often times (if it is a recruiter) can give you some insights into the person(s) you are interviewing with, what the company looks for, dress, etc. They help you be better prepared.

And this most recent job I've been interviewing for - yes I sent in resume personally, didn't hear from them, then this recruiter put me in touch with them and I am on my like 100th interview with them.
chai2

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 10:14 am
@Linkat,
Yes, again agreeing.

I know the recruiter can get my name higher on the list of being considered.

However....
I've got to find out if the recruiter has actually gotten this org for a client. If they haven't, I'll feel free to apply myself, unfortunately, along with a bazillion others.

I'll need to talk to her this a.m. anyway. From what I read of the job, it is asking for non-profit experience. I don't have that, BUT, this is a non profit dealing with a specific disease, and I have 13 years experience dealing in a different specific disease. Hence I understand very well the focus. Also, my bestest friend worked for a number of years for a non-profit, for an org that is a specific subset of this org's disease. I know something of non-profits from him, and can pick his brain.
chai2

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:06 am
@chai2,
Ha!
Turns out the job she had was not the same as mine.

I gifted her the lead, and let her know I'd be applying.
I asked her to present me as well when she talks to them, and some selling points on me.

win/win.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:48 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Ha!
Turns out the job she had was not the same as mine.

I gifted her the lead, and let her know I'd be applying.
I asked her to present me as well when she talks to them, and some selling points on me.

win/win.
VICTORY IS INEVITABLE! U just can 't get away from it !

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 11:59 am
Well, I just got offered and accepted a position.

I start on Wednesday.
I'll report back how it's going after a week or so.

I will say this, it's 2.3 miles from my house, right in downtown.

I do feel very excited, but I want to see how this plays out.
firefly

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 12:06 pm
@chai2,
Congratulations! Best of luck, chai2. I hope it works out well for you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 12:29 pm
@chai2,
Hey congrats!

A short commute is a lovely thing.

Hope it works out.
0 Replies