The vote for a president: How do you vote?

Piffka

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:37 pm
I'll say... from my answers it was Kerry 89%, Bush 9%.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:51 pm
George said
Quote:
I find the cant of the liberal critics equally monotone and judgemental.

I said (in answer to question, 'Who would you vote fore?'
Quote:
My vote for President (actually, my vote[s] - I'm learning the coding now for Diebold software) will be for whoever has enough personal integrity to stand up to the 'religious right' ("the most powerful block within the modern Republican party", as a narrative on the last 60 Minutes described them - an analysis I believe is accurate) and who will fight tooth and nail against any ammendment proposed on the matter of gay marriage...

George said
Quote:
Thanks for so quickly demonstrating my point.

Huh? Which point was that? I know you have it in you to be more precise.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:07 pm
"Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's a point to it." Harry Nilsson
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:17 pm
You and your bloody arrow
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:21 pm
Valentine ahead.....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
That's funny, ci
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:31 am
Blathaqm,

You will find it immediately above your post. But you knew that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:05 am
george

Actually, no, I'm confused as to what you refer to.

It could be that what we have here is an unknown known, or a known unknown, or an unknown unknown. I don't know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:44 am
Fedral wrote:
Why is it that citizens of other countries with a democratic tradition of electing their leaders are allowed to choose leaders based on what is best for their countries, yet if Americans make their choice based upon the same criteria, they are somehow being 'tyrannical' or uncaring to the rest of the world?

LOL! Fair point.

Problem is, your country is so big, powerful and pushy in a whole variety of ways that your president has such a big effect on the rest of us that we sort of feel we ought to get a say!

The same would be, and has been, true of any similarly big, powerful and pushy country.

Regionally, countries tend to feel similarly interested in other countries' governments. For example, Malaysia and Indonesia and Singapore feel very entitled to comment, often quite negatively, on who Australia puts into government. This is life. We live with it. We take a major interest in them and China and Japan, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:50 am
The US has also - not so infrequently - taken a very hands-on approach to commenting if it thinks it is not in its interests for another country to have a leader it does not like - Iran and Chile being just two examples....sauce for the goose?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:58 am
Fedral wrote:
Why is it that citizens of other countries with a democratic tradition of electing their leaders are allowed to choose leaders based on what is best for their countries, yet if Americans make their choice based upon the same criteria, they are somehow being 'tyrannical' or uncaring to the rest of the world?

I've already made a similar post to Deb. Australia could elect just about any dickhead (and quite often do) and it's effect on the rest of the world is zero (unless he ties our nation to the US coattails-as Howard has done). But when the US elects the most incompetent person in the entire history of democracy (as you did last time) the result can be devastating for the rest of the world.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:38 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Wilso wrote:
My apologies. That was one of the other conservatives. I tend to get you mixed up as you all tend to sound the same.

"Other Conseveratives?". Are you trying to bait me?

LOL! Did you really just get called "conservative", ebrown? That really is taking stupidity to a new level ...

And I thought I'd seen the craziest of it when Frank Apisa bludgeoned me with some of his "irony" the other day, thinking I was a Republican ...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:01 am
All you commie bastards sound alike to me Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:05 am
As a life-long, dedicated commie bastard, i just want to point out that, comes the revolution, you will all regret not having made a better effort to get on my good side. You'll want to be my friends then, but it will be too late . . .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:45 am
Viva La Revolucion!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:28 pm
Now, now. Do I have to bring in Mr. McCarthy to calm this room down?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:30 pm
Seamus McCarthy, my roommate in Seattle, who could do serious damage to a party, and was a member of the CPUSA? Very Happy
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:32 pm
Hee hee
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
As a life-long, dedicated commie bastard, i just want to point out that, comes the revolution, you will all regret not having made a better effort to get on my good side. You'll want to be my friends then, but it will be too late . . .

Hehhehheh ...

From the archives ...

From Google ...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:38 pm
Okay, enough of this foolishness. Isn't there anyone else who wants to weigh in on the topic at hand? Voting? eh?
0 Replies