The vote for a president: How do you vote?

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 02:02 pm
When you cast a vote for president, what's most important in your mind? Do you look at what's in your best interest? Or do you look at what's best for the country as a whole? Or do you take a big picture view and consider what would be best for the world?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,503 • Replies: 139
No top replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 02:09 pm
Re: The vote for a president: How do you vote?
kickycan wrote:
When you cast a vote for president, what's most important in your mind? Do you look at what's in your best interest? Or do you look at what's best for the country as a whole? Or do you take a big picture view and consider what would be best for the world?

Number ONE concern[/u]: What is best for the country

Number Two concern: What is best for me and my family

In the choice for President of the United States, what is best for the rest of the world holds no concern whatsoever.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 02:34 pm
I agree with Fedral completely.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 02:39 pm
Same here.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 02:41 pm
One more of the same. Are we getting a consensus here?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 03:59 pm
I agree with Fedral too.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:43 pm
I disagree strongly (and I suspect some of this agreement is because people aren't cearfully reading Fedral's rather extreme post).

What is "right" and what is good for the world play a big part in the decision of any sane, civilized person.

Slavery was undoubtably good for the country. Still, I would have opposed it 150 years ago(and still do).

In the past the people who said "I support my country and to hell with the rest of the world" have supported empire building, slavery, and fascism.

I am more then American ... I am also human. I am proud of both. My vote will reflect this.
-------
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, scince for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despiceable an ignoreable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." -- Albert Einstein
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:44 pm
I agree . . . mostly. I do think that, since we are the only superpower in the world, we have to consider the world view too, even though it wouldn't be numero uno on my list.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:16 pm
Fedral has it right.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:22 pm
I believe it was Charlie Wilson, then Chairman of General Motors, who was appearing before a Senate Committee and was asked a similar question with respect to the auto industry and the U. S.economy.

His answer was "Well Senator, I've always believed that what's good for GM is good for the country."

I would have a difficult time conceiving of a major outcome that was truly good for the United States that was not also at least a matter of indifference to the world.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:48 pm
Is what is good for China, good for the world?

Understanding, of course, that any such a claim to intrinsic goodness would be self-defined by the Chinese, if George's argument is to be shifted to another country.

Fedral's position is best addressed by the wonderful quotation from Einstein. Thanks ebrown.

I like Americans. I love working with, visiting, living with Americans. But there are some aspects to your national mythologies and self image that are downright kookoo. And dangerous.

This notion of special dispensation, of unique goodness/godliness, and the consequent justifications towards deserved dictatorial status on the world stage is of the same lineage as Caligula. It is intellectually and morally repugnant.

And it is making the world change their feelings towards the US from something like respect and trust to something more akin to how one feels towards a rather stupid and aggressive egomaniac.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:56 pm
I agree, blatham. I find it repugnant as well, even more so because I have to live with it. And as an American who travels, it often embarrasses me. I've considered claiming to be a Canadian, but my Southern accent gives me away. Wink
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:09 pm
It isn't difficult to smoke out a self-righteous Canadian. (They do seem more ubiquitous than previously, but perhaps that is just a by product of their smug certainty.)

There is no connection whatever to Caigula - that is hyperbole. Even Blatham knows that.

Please note the qualifier, 'truly good'. I would have a hard time conceiving of an important outcome that was truly good for China that wasn't also at least neutral for the world. I do believe the proposition stands.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:09 pm
Eva

I'm flabbergasted anyone could argue what has been argued above. It's a drawer or two below medieval.

There was a little kerfuffle about a month ago concerning Canadians travelling in Europe and wearing flags on their backpacks. Insult was taken and dander ws afly, as this open display of the maple leaf was taken by some as meaning "I'm NOT American!"

Now, it strikes me that if I got pissed george went striding through his days wearing his own name because that really means "NOT BERNIE!", I might reasonably be thought a tad egocentric.

In fact, it is even worse than those folks who got upset know. Back in the late sixties and early seventies when myself and many of my friends travelled in europe, it was not uncommon to find American kids claiming (by symbol and speech) to be actually Canadian. My daughter, a year ago, found the same thing.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:17 pm
The thought of masquerading as a Canadian has never occurred to me. How could I bring it off? Would I have to end every sentence with "eh"? What if I had to use the word 'out'? or 'about' ?

I will confess that I also have an Irish passport. However that's no challenge - everyone likes the Irish.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:21 pm
george

'Hyperbole' logically implies connection, but extended or exaggerated, usually for rhetorical effect.

The connection is...overblown self-image, and a foundational notion of support from god. Bush believes that god put him there, as President, as a manifestation of god in order to share with the world that goodness with which he and his nation are imbued.

Such a suggestion by a leader, here or in Australia or Britain, etc, would be derided. That is is accepted (usually with little reflection) by so many in your nations speaks to, and demonstrates, the unique mythologies of your nation and its culture.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:22 pm
My dad didn't like the Irish. Other than for malts.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
I'm not certain what I might advise as regards passing yourself off as one of us. hmmm....tough one...a few scars under your chin from CCM hockey sticks would help...or, better still, if your rec room held a half-massacred dart board with nearly unrecognizable photos (side by side) of the Queen and Bush, that would definitely do it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
Blatham,

Hyperventillation can lead to problems. Calm yourself.

Your dad was a #@%#ing Brit ! They were beyond understanding.

Irish whiskey is not made with malts, but it can easily be taken for one, particularly the aged John Jamesons - good Catholic whiskey, very smooth. Bushmills is Protestant, and has a bite.

I was certain until I was about 15 that the world was populated with Irishmen and unfortunate sods who desperately wished they were. By the time I discovered this was not so, I didn't give a damn. So I have chosen to continue believing it. I feel the same way about Americans.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:37 pm
Well, I do have a hockey scar, but no dartboard. Perhaps I'll get one.

Would photos of Chirac and Kerry do?
0 Replies