The vote for a president: How do you vote?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:39 pm
We don't live in a isolated world, so I will vote for a president that understands foreign afairs as well as what needs to be done at home - especially medical care for all of our children (and hopefully, for all of our citizens), and a good schools - which includes qualified teachers.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:42 pm
Dammit Cicerone, I am trying to piss off Blatham, and you are breaking the pattern. (BTW I have seen some of your jokes on other threads - very good!)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
Me? Country? World?
Country, the red white and blue USA seems to be the winner.
It's late and I'm going to bed. Nothing more from this puppy tonight except...
Our arrogance and apathy is going to land us in big trouble.
For example, 25% of the population in sub-Saharan Africa has AIDS. What will be the impact on the rest of the world in twenty years if we do nothing?
Good night. Maybe I'll see y'all tomorrow.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:36 pm
What arrogance and apathy?

I think the HIV infection rate in Africa is more like 9%, not 25%. The rate is quite variable - from a high of 35% in Botswana and Zimbabwe and 21% in South Africa, to a low of 0.5% - 2% in Guinea, Gambia and Senegal. Government denial and stupidity are closely associated with high rates of infection.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:40 pm
Bernie, I think I'll pass on the hockey scars, but the dartboard is a possibility. Already have the mutilated photo of Bush. Could you send one of the Queen? I'll need a few maple leaf stickers, too, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks bunches, Eva.......
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:43 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Government denial and stupidity are closely associated with high rates of infection.

Silly me! And I thought it was sexually transmitted! Or...were you implying that their leaders are screwing them? No, that couldn't be it. If that were the cause, there'd be a 98% rate in the U.S.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:13 pm
I think it's time to have a president who knows how to be a leader and not a bully. If we can get this, we'll be a long way along the road to recovering the good name and reputation of the U.S. In the mean time, when I travel abroad, I'll just wear my red maple leaf and listen.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:30 pm
I don't look at things like Character. I don't care if a president has done drugs in the past or has committed adultery. Some of the greatest presidents in our history committed adultery. I don't care about his military record. It doesn't affect their ability to lead.

I like to think I look at the big picture. I don't want a president that is going to make us the laughing stock of the entire world. To me though, domestic policy is a little more important.

I have no significant personal issues that are affected by law. Everything I want to do I pretty much do. So personal issues don't really affect my vote. What's good for the entire country is good for me.

However, what's good for my boss is not good for me. I reject the Republican philosophy that says that one class of people is more important than another. Trickle down my ass. It all stays at the top.

So any Republican philosophy I automatically throw out. I could never in good conscience vote for a Republican.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:21 am
Quote:
Well, I do have a hockey scar, but no dartboard. Perhaps I'll get one.

Would photos of Chirac and Kerry do?

george

First...do get a dartboard. Visitors are more likely to assume your ancestry to be English, thus giving you a measurable (and deserved) boost in social status.

Second...no, I'm afraid those photos would not suffice. If, in your firm resolve to turn your life around, forsaking the four 'O's of Republicanism (the obstreperous, the oligarichical, the obtuse, and the old-time-religiose) but you yet find yourself oddly reluctant to mutilate either the Queen or Mr. Bush, then I would recommend the photo-pairing of John Ascroft with Janet Jackson's adorned right nipple. (Alternate pairing; any one of the liberal east coast pushers who supplied dubya with his university-period blow, and Nancy Reagan).

Quote:
Hyperventillation can lead to problems. Calm yourself.

Thankyou! Problems enough I have already been led to. Why, just last evening, lounging naked in a candle-lit bed and sharing a bowl of happy British Columbia greens with a creature of the most exquisite beauty and deliciously unrefined appetites, a stealth seed heated to that critical popcorn level, producing a magnificent Fourth of July event directly above my own magnificence. It was a moving moment. Everyone present wanted to wave flags. But being liberals, our bedroom is not likely to witness any flagging.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:27 am
If you're voting anywhere but the US, it's unlikely your vote will have an effect on the rest of the world. But your vote in the US very much does. Just as those who voted for Bush in the last election gave the world it's biggest tyrant since Hitler.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:53 am
Wilso

Careful, george's hyperbole-alert is at orange.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:58 am
Eva wrote:
Silly me! And I thought it was sexually transmitted! Or...were you implying that their leaders are screwing them? No, that couldn't be it. If that were the cause, there'd be a 98% rate in the U.S.

A decade ago Uganda and South Africa had similar rates of infection (about 8%), South Africa took no action with respect to public information and education and its President even publically speculated that the disease was a foreign plot. Uganda undertook a well organized program of public education, emphasizing monagamy generally, and abstinence for the young. Today the rate in Uganda is 5% and falling. In South Africa it is 21% and rising fast.

Silly you indeed.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:04 am
Lola wrote:
,,,,, In the mean time, when I travel abroad, I'll just wear my red maple leaf and listen.

But where will you put it? Could be interesting!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:08 am
Well, it is a broad leaf.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:11 am
Wilso wrote:
If you're voting anywhere but the US, it's unlikely your vote will have an effect on the rest of the world. But your vote in the US very much does. Just as those who voted for Bush in the last election gave the world it's biggest tyrant since Hitler.

Let me see if I get this right. No country outside the U.S. does or can do the world any harm. However the U.S. has eclipsed Stalin. Mao, Idi Amin, Castro, and Milosevec in the annals of tyranny. Interesting.

Also ludicrous.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:25 am
blatham wrote:
... First...do get a dartboard. Visitors are more likely to assume your ancestry to be English, thus giving you a measurable (and deserved) boost in social status.

You are ignoring my fundamental axiom: The world is populated only with Irishmen and poor sods who desperately wished they were too. The dartboard wouldn't help in any way that I would notice.

Quote:
... a stealth seed heated to that critical popcorn level, producing a magnificent Fourth of July event directly above my own magnificence. It was a moving moment. Everyone present wanted to wave flags. ...

Clearly you were moved. But did the earth move as well ?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:47 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Let me see if I get this right. No country outside the U.S. does or can do the world any harm. However the U.S. has eclipsed Stalin. Mao, Idi Amin, Castro, and Milosevec in the annals of tyranny. Interesting.

Also ludicrous.

I'm saying that the US has by far the greatest capacity to do harm to the rest of the world by it's policies.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:50 am
Particularly amongst those countries where the populace actually has a vote in who the country's leader is.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:00 am
Wilso,

But that is merely stating the obvious. We are indeed a democracy, a fairly large country, with a relatively young population of just under 300 million, and, by a wide margin, the largest GDP on earth.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:02 am
So what was so ludicrous????
0 Replies