Florida's Stand your Ground law

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 11:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I dunno, but I suspect,
that he 'd probably remain intact, if he 'd identified himself
as a guest of a resident, with a legal right to be there.

David

He, as a private citizen, is under no compunction to answer such questions from anyone, David. Surely you agree with this.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 11:59 am
@FreeDuck,
i believe you're right about the asshole part
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

How do u know that ?

It's in almost every story about it. Surprised you haven't read it given your *stellar* understanding of the subject.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:11 pm
@FreeDuck,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

How do u know that ?
FreeDuck wrote:

It's in almost every story about it. Surprised you haven't read it given your *stellar* understanding of the subject.[ ???? ]
I think I found out about it last nite.
I claim no expertise in this case.

I ESPECIALLY have no "understanding" of the reason
that u were so happy about that innocent fellow having spent 3 years in jail,
while thay were "figuring it out", as u put it.
U r a sadistic, unjust duck.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

I dunno, but I suspect,
that he 'd probably remain intact, if he 'd identified himself
as a guest of a resident, with a legal right to be there.

David
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He, as a private citizen, is under no compunction to answer such questions from anyone, David. Surely you agree with this.
Cycloptichorn
Yes, but he 'd probably remain intact.

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:15 pm
the 911 call from a woman who says "there's somebody out side calling for help", is pretty chilling, she tells police she's afraid to go see what's going on,but you hear a person screaming over and over for someone to help, then a shot and complete silence

at one point the police ask if it's a man or a woman, the woman isn't sure, the voice is sort of high, which could fit with a young man who was terrified

more stuff that sort of doesn't fit with the shooters account
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:20 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
the 911 call from a woman who says "there's somebody out side calling for help", is pretty chilling, she tells police she's afraid to go see what's going on,but you hear a person screaming over and over for someone to help, then a shot and complete silence

at one point the police ask if it's a man or a woman, the woman isn't sure, the voice is sort of high, which could fit with a young man who was terrified

more stuff that sort of doesn't fit with the shooters account
Maybe he was yelling; we know that he DID call 911 for help. Thay did not arrive fast enuf.
When seconds count, the police are only a few minutes away.

David
djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
yes, but by all indications (unless you're the dipshit state attorney) he should have had no need for the police, unless they were going to go to the store for him and get some skittles and an ice tea
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:57 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
yes, but by all indications (unless you're the dipshit state attorney) he should have had no need for the police,
unless they were going to go to the store for him and get some skittles and an ice tea
I dunno, but I infer that he probably thawt
that he was casing the area for burglaries.

David
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Well that would be very difficult to understand if it were true. Fortunately it isn't. I would take offense at being called a sadist but it turns out your opinion means nothing to me.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm
@FreeDuck,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

FreeDuck wrote:

Well that would be very difficult to understand if it were true. Fortunately it isn't. I would take offense at being called a sadist but it turns out your opinion means nothing to me.
Yes, just like the fellow who lost 3 years of his life in jail,
in accordance with your wishes MEANS NOTHING TO U.

Woud it be fun
if the same thing happened to U ?
Then we 'd see how U like losing 3 years of YOUR life, being equally innocent!
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You think it's OK to eat CHILDREN?!! What if someone ate your children?! Then we'd see how you like having your INNOCENT children eaten.

How would you like that Om-SICK-David?

jcboy

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:03 pm
@boomerang,
I heard 911 tapes today on a talk show. Disgusting. And the police let him off under Florida's law that you ae justified to shoot anyone you feel is threatening you. No witnesses. Your word against the dead person. Unreal.

I hope they don't let this crime go unpunished. IMO they should arrest George Zimmerman and make him prove in a court of law that he was in danger.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:34 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
I heard 911 tapes today on a talk show. Disgusting.
And the police let him off under Florida's law that you ae justified
to shoot anyone you feel is threatening you. No witnesses.
Your word against the dead person. Unreal.

I hope they don't let this crime go unpunished.
IMO they should arrest George Zimmerman and make him prove in a court of law that he was in danger.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:39 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
You think it's OK to eat CHILDREN?!! What if someone ate your children?!
Then we'd see how you like having your INNOCENT children eaten.

How would you like that Om-SICK-David?
I imagine that, in your mind,
there was a good reason to discuss cannibalism.

I don 't know what it IS,
but I guess u probably had a point in there, somewhere.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:40 pm
@FreeDuck,
Interesting re different years and places.
We used to have a great neighborhood watch group, had everyone's (or almost everyone's) phone numbers, met originally and subsequently with the police liaison, were adamantly not to take matters into our own hands.

I'm not a gun fan but my husband had a (I'm stupid about this) rifle or shotgun because his family had undergone a home invasion in a tough part of the city when he was a teen. I never saw it out of the closet, who knows, it probably didn't work. I sold my own father's hunting rifles after his death, but backed off in this case given what hub had gone through. We lived a dozen blocks from the center of gang wars but were not treated to much bad stuff.. and also had not when we lived a lot closer to the center, maybe six blocks from it.. the gang stuff was primarily between them.

I didn't know everyone's views in our certain square block area, but in all our meetings, I don't remember anyone rabid in a racist way.

I'm not ready to judge the neighborhood watch guy pre what occurs legally, but I'd be interested in his, ah, rabidity. I have my assumptions.

Haven't read all the posts yet.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:43 pm

I 've eaten alligator; I 've eaten crocodile. I 've eaten shark,
but never any children; never considered it.

David
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:13 pm
I wonder if this man still has his gun? When a policeman shoots someone his gun is removed and he is placed on administrative leave pending an investigation. I hope this murderer isn't armed and at home ready to kill again.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, I think this is true (maybe I'm naive) of the whole neighborhood watch program system, nationwide, that you don't take matters into your own hands.
I think this teen was considered by the shooter as being guilty of being black and walking; the shooter may have other issues. Maybe there's a gated community mindset/function that I don't know about personally.

I relate to this situation in that my niece has lived part of her life as one of the relatively few black children, then teen, now adult, in an ok but sort of iffy area quite like where my ex and I lived. Most people there know her and I don't think she'd be a target, but a guy like this gives me chills.

The repulsive thing, past the shooting itself, is that he wasn't held.

Back to my niece; her u.s. grandmother and grandfather lived in a mobile home village that didn't allow children or pets. Quietest, strangest place I've ever been in. I am sans doubt that people there peered out their curtains at her.
Soz, you will remember the photos.
JTT

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I 'm tempted to move down to Florida.
I have some good friends there.

That's a good idea, Om. You might meet up with another stand your grounder.
0 Replies